VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a .wmv video that plays normally at a moderate level (call it a 5 on a scale of 1-10 in home theater DVD player terms) for the first 45 seconds and then it decreases to around 1-2 for the remaining 5 minutes. My goal is to play the video on my home theater DVR's HDD without manually increasing the volume by roughly 45%. It seems that extracting or ripping the audio will be no problem (please recommend program(s) for a newbie) but I'm not sure about increasing the volume. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Audacity would be my first choice. Easy to use and may be able to extract your audio directly. .wmv format could be a problem to work with.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You may try to recode wmv video (somehow limited popularity codec) to something more popular and apply dynaudnorm filter that will prevent large level difference across stream.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Audacity is not able to extract the audio from a video file unless you add the ffmpeg source plugin.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_installation_and_plug_ins.html#How_do_I_downloa...ort_Library.3F

Once you have imported the audio, mark the low volume section and use Effect -> Amplify to increase its volume. Then use File -> Export Audio to save the result.

Then you'll need to mux the video from the original file with the new audio with an appropriate muxing tool.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    You may try to recode wmv video (somehow limited popularity codec) to something more popular and apply dynaudnorm filter that will prevent large level difference across stream.
    I will first recode it to AVI, then try Audacity. Thanks for the tips
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by elling View Post
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    You may try to recode wmv video (somehow limited popularity codec) to something more popular and apply dynaudnorm filter that will prevent large level difference across stream.
    I will first recode it to AVI, then try Audacity. Thanks for the tips
    If you use windows then bellow script should work - modified one of my scripts, tested and seem to be OK. AVI is not the best container but... you can try mp4 or mkv - not sure about limitations of your environment.

Code:
    @setlocal
    @set /a cput=(%NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS%*3)/2
    @SET x264opts="crf=22:vbv_maxrate=20000:vbv_bufsize=20000:qpmin=4:qpmax=69:level=4.0:keyint=250:cabac=1:threads=auto:sliced_threads=0:slices=-1:no_psnr=1:no_ssim=1:bluray_compat=1:open-gop=0:pic_struct=1:aud=1:nal_hrd=vbr:force_cfr=1:colorprim=bt709:transfer=bt709:colormatrix=bt709"
    @if not exist %cd%\out (mkdir %cd%\out)
    @ffmpeg -y -threads %cput% -hide_banner -loglevel 32 -stats -avoid_negative_ts 1 -i %1 -c:v libx264 -preset slow -profile:v high -level:v 4.0 -x264opts %x264opts% -x264-params %x264opts% -vf colormatrix=bt601:bt709 -c:a libmp3lame -q:a 4.5 -af "pan=stereo|FL < FL + 1.414FC + .5BL + .5SL|FR < FR + 1.414FC + .5BR + .5SR,aresample=resampler=soxr:osr=48000:dither_method=0,dynaudnorm=p=1/sqrt(2):m=100,firequalizer=gain='if(gte(f,24),0,-INF)+if(lte(f,15999),0,-INF)':accuracy=1:fixed=on" -f avi "out\%~n1.avi"
    @Pause
    Quote Quote