VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm slipping this in here because Smartphones are a kind of computer, aren't they?

I just ordered a new Droid Turbo which I'd like to give reasonable amount of protection.
    (SWMBO just tossed my old phone outta the car and not only did the screen become a lightshow, but later I found the battery swollen all swollen up. Note: Take battery out of damaged phones.)

So I've just discovered the wonderful world of screen protectors.
    There are glass ones whose packaging shows them being hit with a hammer.
    There are ones that don't quite cover curved screens or get bits of gunk behind them.
    There are positive reviews from people who haven't broken one...
    None seem to be waterproof, or related to a specific case.

It is hard for me to see a biggish screen not breaking if it lands face down on, say, gravel.

Any of you guys have an opinion? Good idea or waste of money?
    Last edited by ahhaa; 20th Jun 2016 at 11:57. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Most phones already come with screen protectors,just get a good case cause most screen breaks are caused by dropped phones and items dropped on them.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If your phone is a touch screen phone then some screen protectors may interfere with that.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i sure hope you mean the droid turbo 2. the original droid turbo is dated and no longer in the update support list. as long as it's the dt2 you don't have to worry much about the screen -
    "Droid Turbo 2 by Motorola with confidence—it has the world’s first shatterproof display, guaranteed not to crack or shatter".
    i might put a spidgen case on is to protect from drops though.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    get an 'otter box' case for it, IMO that is the best choice for protection
    its the impact of hitting the ground, floor, concrete etc.. that breaks the phone, the OB absorbs most of that impact
    many high end phones already come with 'Gorilla Glass' for the screens
    Quote Quote  
  6. I got a tempered glass screen protector with 9H hardness for my smartphone. Here is my honest review:

Pros:
    - Looks much, much nicer than the original screen or any clunky, ugly case. For some reason the look is just classy. This reason alone is enough for me to buy it.
    - Inexpensive (mine was under 10 USD)
    - Feels super smooth and resists fingerprints.
    - In addition to resisting fingerprints and dirt really well, it is really easy to clean.
    - Doesn't interfere at all with the touch response and is so thin I hardly know its there most of the time
    - Scratch proof, I have had mine for like 4 months and not a single scratch. It looks brand new.
    - Did I mention I don't have to deal with clunky, ugly, dirty, nerdy phone case?

Cons:
    - It is not easy to put on so that no bubbles or dust are underneath. In fact, I don't know how the performance would be for a phone that has already seen some use versus a virgin phone like mine was when I put my protector on. I literally took the retail plastic screen off my phone and put the tempered glass protector on.
    - While it may be resistant to breaking from direct hits, the corners are brittle. I dropped my phone onto concrete from a rather short height (I was squatting taking a picture) and the corners of the screen protector now have tiny chips. The good news is that my phone screen is protected. So I fully expect to be replacing my screen protector soon and I am only out another $10.

So, bottomline, while the cons are annoying, they are not deal breakers. I will never use a phone without a tempered glass protector again.
    Last edited by SameSelf; 22nd Jun 2016 at 10:03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Sself, if ya don't mind, which brand of tempered glass protector did you get?

I got the phone yesterday and literally spent hours in Startup trying to get it past the Google sign-in; my password wasn't accepted, even tho it was working on Gmail just fine. Then I tried changing my password and it took Google close to an hour to send the authorizing email and another hour before that was passed to the server that was handling my phone sign-in, and then I ran into a bunch of 'think about it' questions like do I want my phone erased if I lose it... so I didn't have any time to do bloatware housekeeping, etc.

I also had to research the Qi wireless charging because there were several posts elsewhere about it driving the battery indicator crazy and even shutting down the phone completely. I thought us computer guys are crazy, but phone posters are well outside the envelope.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi ahhaa, the brand of tempered glass I got was by PThink out of China. It comes with a sticker that says, "Quality Certificated". However, even though I live in the US, for years my phones have been the International, unlocked variants many times sourced outside the US. So I have no idea if PThink makes one for your phone.

Sorry to hear you have had so many problems with your phone.
    Quote Quote