VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is best for capturing and recording from vcr . I want to make dvd of vhs.
    1:Ezcap video capture usb116
    2:Hauppauge - USB-Live2 Analog Video Digitizer Model: HAUP610'
    Quote Quote  
  2. forget usb imo too unstable
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    forget usb imo too unstable
    Maybe 10 years ago, but USB seems to work just fine for most people today, with a newer PC.

Oh-oh. A Pentium 4 is listed in the OP's computer details. Maybe the OP does need a card with a PCI interface.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    but there isnt good PCI interface out there also
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    The capture device is just half of the story, You have to have a good playback hardware for stable signal to begin with, Most USB capture devices at least the non fake ones can capture lossless analog video signal just fine through USB 2.0 port.
    Quote Quote  
  6. PCI-E card from hauppauge here haven't tested but should be fine, can capture lossless for sure
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    PCI-E card from hauppauge here haven't tested but should be fine, can capture lossless for sure
    Assuming the OP still has a Pentium 4 CPU in his PC (as spelled out in his computer details), a PC from the Pentium 4 era could easily have no PCI-e slots, just like it could have no USB 2.0 ports. A capture device with a PCI interface or an AGP interface worked best back in the day when a Pentium 4 CPU was considered modern. USB wasn't reliable enough back then. There are only a few PCI capture devices still in production, and no AGP capture devices still in production.

As far as USB 2.0 instability, I have a USB 2.0 capture device that I first used with an Athlon II x2 system I built in 2009. I never had a problem on that system or my Haswell i-5 system. I don't recall anyone else (vaporeon800 or lordsmurf for example) using a capture device with a USB interface on a newer system in recent years complaining that USB isn't stable enough. If the OP has replaced the Pentium 4 PC with one that includes a more modern CPU and USB 2.0 connections which operate at full speed, a USB 2.0 device should work just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much for guidance.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Both of the USB capture devices you listed are acceptable hardware, if your computer is compatible with them and exceeds the minimum system requirements. Please update your computer details if they are not correct.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Both of the USB capture devices you listed are acceptable hardware, if your computer is compatible with them and exceeds the minimum system requirements. Please update your computer details if they are not correct.
    My computer systey is Intel dh55 tc board corei3 2.93ghz processor 4gbddr3 ram. Is it suitable.
    Quote Quote