VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've been having some issues with my current pc... why trying to get things worked out I also realized I built it 6 years ago.
    So, I'm thinking maybe its just time to start over.

I have 13 years of home video I plan on attacking finally ... also do a lot of ripping and reencoding with Handbrake.
    May even think about the new Oculus Rift VR goggles which I believe require a lot of power.

I recently bought a 500gb SSD and a 6tb drive. I already have a 1200 watt power supply and a nice cab.
    So... mobo, cpu, gpu, and ram...

I don't generally keep up on all this stuff when I"m not in the market... after minimal research I was considering these

ASUS ATX X99-Deluxe
    Intel i7 5930 6 core 3.5GHz
    Crucial Ballistix 32GB BLS4K8G4D240FSA
    Geforce GTX 970 or 980 6GB

I figured this would be a good forum to ask for advice on this project... thoughts on the above or different?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dont get GTX 970/980, wait for Nvidia 1080.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need to buy an aftermarket cooler for that CPU. For a high-end CPU, lots of people are using a liquid cooling system with a dual 120mm fan radiator these days rather than air cooling. Some high-end video cards use a liquid cooling system too. The case needs to have a place to install the radiators, so you need to think about cooling before settling on a case.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Jun 2016 at 12:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    Dont get GTX 970/980, wait for Nvidia 1080.
    How long of a wait... kind of want to do this now....

Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    You need to buy an aftermarket cooler for that CPU. For a high-end CPU, lots of people are using a liquid cooling system with a dual 120mm fan radiator these days rather than air cooling. Some high-end video cards use a liquid cooling system too. The case needs to have a place to install the radiators, so you need to think about cooling before settling on a case.
    Yeah I was actually thinking of that as well....maybe Corsair Hydro H100i liquid cooler
    Not sure if my current case (Antec 1200) is equipped for that. I'd have to check...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nvidia 1080 cards are out now, but in short supply. They seem to be sold out everywhere I looked.

Your case is set up for external liquid cooling. Installing a dual-fan internal liquid cooling system looks difficult if not impossible.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 16th Jun 2016 at 14:11. Reason: added dual fan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nvidia 1080 cards are out now, but in short supply. They seem to be sold out everywhere I looked.

Your case is set up for external liquid cooling. Installing a dual-fan internal liquid cooling system looks difficult if not impossible.
    Well, what the hell... might as well get a new case as well!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The Corsair liquid coolers are fairly easy to install.
    I did a post on that a few years ago. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/270162-AMD-six-core-CPU-and-Corsair-H50-water-cooling-setup
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    The Corsair liquid coolers are fairly easy to install.
    I did a post on that a few years ago. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/270162-AMD-six-core-CPU-and-Corsair-H50-water-cooling-setup
    Thanks redwudz, I will read through that.
    Any recommendations on a new case since I will probably need one... something big with a lot of space...

I think I've mostly had Antec in my lifetime.... but just saw this Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DSFDSUS?psc=1"
    I've never heard of them...This thing is a monster and a mount for 280mm liquid cooling.

Speaking of which I was looking at the Corsair H110 as well.... what is the difference between the h110, h110i, h110i gt, h110i gtx.... They are all similar price... even the h115 is the same price...
    Last edited by lordhutt; 16th Jun 2016 at 19:14.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I prefer Lian Li cases myself, but they are a bit pricey. The 'Lan Cool' versions are a bit cheaper. But the aluminum one I'm using now I've had for more than ten years and several MBs, and with no problems. I don't like plastic. It uses two 120mm PWM fans with filters for intake and two for exhaust. PWM fans are controlled by the motherboard automatically. My PC runs very quietly. I would also avoid cases with lots of intake holes that aren't filtered.

This is a link to the version of the same PC with a 8 core CPU: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/360866-Motherboard-CPU-RAM-upgrade-to-8-core-AMD-CPU?

With the Corsair liquid coolers, I haven't really kept up with the different models. I'm still using a H50 that is several years old and working well.
    My present CPU is a 125W version and it always stays below 50C, even running at 100% on all cores.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I remember that name from when I built this last PC... you aren't kidding about the prices!

I like these two compartment ones....
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112470
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112528
    The PC08 looks amazing when set up but this guys review on youtube lets you know that it can be frustrating to set up... and no fans on the mobo side.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3twm9BQ6f1M
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    I do too much browsing for PC parts. I have looked at that one before and liked it a lot. I would definitely consider it if I were building an ATX system.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I use in computer dedicated to encoding (i7 6700K) very quiet cooling from Scythe - model Mugen 4 PCHG - CPU is OC to 4.7GHz, 100% load for long time and temperature is bellow 80Cdeg (probably can be lower - heatsink should be better mounted on CPU).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Fractal and Phanteks make good cases at a good price point as well. Keep an eye out on the Reddit PC parts sale board for deals. https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Save some money and get the 5820k, instead. There is little difference between the two. Is 200MHz and 12 PCI-E lanes worth $200 to you? That said, you will need to buy your own cooler. Intel's high end line does not come with a stock cooler. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO will do the job and be the most economical solution, but temps will run a little high. If you want your CPU to run nice and cool while doing those long video editing/encoding tasks, get a Corsair h100. The h100 will fit just fine in your Antec 1200. There's no reason to change your case, unless you plan on going full custom water (that means building your own WC setup, and most likely cooling your video card with it as well). That's a little out of my area of expertise, but I can tell you if you're not concerned with supercooling your video card, h100 will be fine and so will your antec 1200.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Downgraded286 View Post
    Save some money and get the 5820k, instead. There is little difference between the two. Is 200MHz and 12 PCI-E lanes worth $200 to you? That said, you will need to buy your own cooler. Intel's high end line does not come with a stock cooler. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO will do the job and be the most economical solution, but temps will run a little high. If you want your CPU to run nice and cool while doing those long video editing/encoding tasks, get a Corsair h100. The h100 will fit just fine in your Antec 1200. There's no reason to change your case, unless you plan on going full custom water (that means building your own WC setup, and most likely cooling your video card with it as well). That's a little out of my area of expertise, but I can tell you if you're not concerned with supercooling your video card, h100 will be fine and so will your antec 1200.
    You're the second person to tell me that about the cpu and after looking here they are almost identical
    http://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/processors/corei7/sb/IntelCor...Chartrev11.pdf

On the other side of that spectrum someone also suggested the 6850 which really bumps the price.

As for the case the Lian Li ones are pretty sweet but I am happy with mine and if it will work then I'd be fine with using it... I've never used any water cooling in my life so that part is all new to me. I know I definitely have to do the CPU and if it will work with my case that is great.
    As for the video card if I don't have to water cool I wont.... I have a EVGA660 now and will get the 980 or 1080 most likely. Only problem is finding a 1080 in stock somewhere.
    Any advantage of one brand over another... evga, asus, msi, gigabyte....
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, just stick with the 5820. The 6850 is to the 6800 as the 5930 is to the 5820, basically. The next step up with a slight bump in clock speed and more PCI-E lanes you don't need, and a big jump in price. If you put a system with a 5820 and an identical one with the only difference being the 6850, you'd have a hard time telling them apart without looking to see what chip it is.

Don't worry about the case man, the h100 will fit the antec 1200 for sure. And don't be worried about water cooling, the h100 hardly counts as water. Yeah there's water in the unit but it's very simple to take care of, easier than most air coolers. You don't have to water cool the GPU, water cooling the video card is either for hardcore enthusiasts who either want performance or really, really hate fan noise (there are still fans in a proper water cooling setup, but they make fans that are pretty much dead silent).

When it comes to brands... I can tell you to be wary of Gigabyte and ASUS, for customer service reasons. I've been a member of a certain tech forum for a long time and lately I've been seeing horror stories about ASUS and Gigabyte when it comes to customer service (like if you have to RMA a part). Evga, on the other hand, seems to get a pretty good rep.

If you can't get a 1080, you can try getting your hands on a 1070 instead. The 1070 is faster than the 980Ti and even the Titan X. I might even go so far as to recommend the 1070 over the 1080, because you'll be paying $200 more for the 1080, unless you plan on doing gaming at 1920x1080 @ 144hz or 4k gaming at, well, whatever FPS you can manage at that resolution... 4k @ 120hz is just starting to emerge, but the screens are really expensive and good luck even hitting that framerate, anyway. But yeah, barring bleeding edge gaming get a 1070.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post

As for the case the Lian Li ones are pretty sweet but I am happy with mine and if it will work then I'd be fine with using it... I've never used any water cooling in my life so that part is all new to me. I know I definitely have to do the CPU and if it will work with my case that is great.
    There were a few reviews at newegg involving attempts to use a large liquid cooling inside an Antec 1200 case where the reviewer ran into trouble.Maybe those guys were mechanically inept idiots, or maybe not. One review mentioned there is a YouTube video demonstrating how to install a Corsair h100, but it looks like the topmost expansion slot will be blocked by part of the radiator, which would make it impossible to install a large, high-end video card where you would normally want to put it.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzzmLbAQKNY

[Edit]The ASUS ATX X99-Deluxe has a gap which lines up with the topmost expansion slot in the case. The first x16 slot on the motherboard (where Asus recommends installing the primary or only VGA card) lines up on the second slot on the Antec 1200 case. However, video cards typically have parts which protrude from the top surface as well as the fans on the bottom. Even if a video card fits, it is going to be a very tight squeeze with a dual-fan cooler installed in your Antec 1200 case, since the radiator partially covers the first expansion slot on the case.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Jun 2016 at 14:15.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're right, the h100 does appear to block the first expansion slot. I guess usability here would hinge on a number of things:
    • Which slot comes first on the motherboard. If it's something you can do without (like a PCI-E 1x slot) it's not so much of an issue
    • Whether or not you'd be willing to drop the video card down to the second x16 slot, if there is one. This also eliminates the possibility of SLI/xfire, if the first slot is x16 and blocked by the rad.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Downgraded286 View Post
    You're right, the h100 does appear to block the first expansion slot. I guess usability here would hinge on a number of things:
    • Which slot comes first on the motherboard. If it's something you can do without (like a PCI-E 1x slot) it's not so much of an issue
    • Whether or not you'd be willing to drop the video card down to the second x16 slot, if there is one. This also eliminates the possibility of SLI/xfire, if the first slot is x16 and blocked by the rad.
    The first x16 slot is normally recommended for installation of the the primary or only video card, and Asus recommends that one for the x99 Deluxe. (It lines up with the second slot on the case.)

Secondary x16 slots may be inactive if a VGA card is not installed in the first x16 or only be capable of operating at x8. I haven't dug far into the motherboard manual to be certain what is true. The Asus x99 Deluxe works differently for CPUs with 28 lanes than those with 40 lanes. The 5820k we've been discussing is a 28 lane CPU.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Jun 2016 at 15:22. Reason: corrected incomplete edit
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, putting the card in the second slot generally isn't a good idea, it's best to put it in the first slot for the reasons you mentioned. You could mount the rad outside of the case, but that would require some cutting... and you can also mount it at the top somehow, but not sure what the process is for that. Looks like the OP can either keep the Antec 1200 and choose a different cooler, or stick with the choice of the h100 and buy a new case to accommodate it as well. For me the second option would be too much money (and leave an empty Antec 1200 to figure out what to do with), so I'd choose a different cooler. The Hyper 212 I mentioned would get the job done, but it would probably be a bit toasty still. Instead of an h100, he could get h80 instead, it won't perform as good as the h100 but it'll fit in his current case at least, and it'll perform good enough for non-extreme super overclocking.
    Quote Quote  
  21. This is the H100i GTX on an MSI H170A Gaming Pro board. I have a GTX970 in there in the top PCI-e x16 slot, which also lines up with the second slot on this case, A Corsair C70. Top of the card is pretty smooth with all the guts coming off the bottom. I think most cards I've seen are this way. Even the slot above this isn't really blocked though it could be tight.

Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's because you have your h100 mounted at the top. It would be impossible to mount it in the rear, which is where it would be in the Antec 1200. Problem is the rad hangs down a little low and will physically block the first expansion slot. I guess that case would be one choice for OP to consider if he wants to shell out for a new case and h100. But what's with all the priority mail boxes?
    Quote Quote  
  23. I see what you mean. I hadn't looked closely at the 1200. I would honestly not recommend the C70. It's a good case but the radiator mount is too far forward and causes obstruction to the upper drive bays. The Fractal R4 or R5 has a better layout for the radiator and can often be had on sale for around $60.

I'm slowly mailing myself to hell piece by piece.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the replies today guys... I've had a screwed up day and just getting here... I'll have to get caught up on this tomorrow!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth View Post
    Top of the card is pretty smooth with all the guts coming off the bottom. I think most cards I've seen are this way. Even the slot above this isn't really blocked though it could be tight.
    It is true that a lot of cards are as you describe, but I looked at pictures of the GTX 1080 cards at newegg. They all have a cover protecting the back of the circuit board. Most of them were basically the same design, and the cover was flush with the long edge of the bracket. A few designs had a cover that appears to sit slightly above than the bracket's long edge. With the Corsair H100 installed, it would be a tight fit, at best.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by Poppa_Meth View Post
    Top of the card is pretty smooth with all the guts coming off the bottom. I think most cards I've seen are this way. Even the slot above this isn't really blocked though it could be tight.
    It is true that a lot of cards are as you describe, but I looked at pictures of the GTX 1080 cards at newegg. They all have a cover protecting the back of the circuit board. Most of them were basically the same design, and the cover was flush with the long edge of the bracket. A few designs had a cover that appears to sit slightly above than the bracket's long edge. With the Corsair H100 installed, it would be a tight fit, at best.
    I could be wrong but it looks like that top plate is pretty flat on all the models I'm looking at on Newegg. Still may not matter if mounting the radiator on the back of the 1200.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

[Edit]The ASUS ATX X99-Deluxe has a gap which lines up with the topmost expansion slot in the case. The first x16 slot on the motherboard (where Asus recommends installing the primary or only VGA card) lines up on the second slot on the Antec 1200 case. However, video cards typically have parts which protrude from the top surface as well as the fans on the bottom. Even if a video card fits, it is going to be a very tight squeeze with a dual-fan cooler installed in your Antec 1200 case, since the radiator partially covers the first expansion slot on the case.
    Based on what I'm seeing in this video and looking at my pc at the same time it doesn't look like it would be in the way... at least with the mobo that I have. The first pci-e slot is low enough that it will be clear... it hits the 3rd and 4th expansions slots in the back of the case. However I have no idea what the new mobo will be like.
    Worst case scenario I'll buy another case. Then see if I can resolve the issues I have with my current build and either sell or find another use for it.

So I guess right now I'm looking at an i7 5820k with an ASUS X99 Deluxe
    Corsair h100...or similar... whats the deal with the 100/105/110 and multiple versions of each all the same price?
    https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Extreme-Performance-Liquid-Cooler/dp/B019EXSSBG/ref=sr_...s=corsair+h100

As for the GTX 1070/1080... anyone know of any place that actually has these in stock. I'm on auto-notify on NewEgg but who knows how long that will be.

If I have to buy a new case I may go with the Lian Li... even though its pricey as hell it looks pretty damn awesome
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112528

I guess my final choice will be the ram.... ram is pretty cheap these days... think I should go 64 instead of 32?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One source says the availability of NVIDIA GTX 1080 cards won't improve until late July or early August. Amazon has some, but sellers are jacking up the price to take advantage of the current shortage.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, well I'm a little more free with money sometimes than I should be but I wont be giving in to those idiot scalpers. Worst case scenario I will just use my GTX660 until one becomes available... actually I have 2 660's if I could run them in SLI on that board?
    Quote Quote