VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. My setup is very similar as well. I have two 120mm fans pulling air in the front through a filter. One 120mm pulling air out the back and two 120mm on the radiator exhausting from the top of the case. Creates a diagonal airflow across all the major components. My PSU pulls air from the filtered intake on the bottom of the case and exhausts it out the back so that is isolated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought you were originally going with a Lian-Li case?

Lian-Li are really nice cases. I have and have had quite a few. Most are extremely modular, and they are very intuitive designs for people to install and organize hardware. Cooling is absolutely fantastic. The price has been worth it. I also get a lot of really cool accessories for mine at FrozenCPU.com

Looking at a few reviews of your case, others have said the same thing about hole misalignments. They generally weren't too bad, and one person said it was annoying, but was able to use a drill to slightly stretch the points for his fans. Just surprised at the change in direction for the case.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Doramius View Post
    I thought you were originally going with a Lian-Li case?

Lian-Li are really nice cases. I have and have had quite a few. Most are extremely modular, and they are very intuitive designs for people to install and organize hardware. Cooling is absolutely fantastic. The price has been worth it. I also get a lot of really cool accessories for mine at FrozenCPU.com

Looking at a few reviews of your case, others have said the same thing about hole misalignments. They generally weren't too bad, and one person said it was annoying, but was able to use a drill to slightly stretch the points for his fans. Just surprised at the change in direction for the case.
    I was looking at at PC08 which does look really nice with all the lighting. But the more I read about this case the I read its really made for people that are doing strictly liquid cooling... and then I even heard complaints about radiators fitting in that case properly....
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post
    ... and then I even heard complaints about radiators fitting in that case properly....
    That seems to be a common problem with AIO liquid coolers. They work in the manufacturer's own cases designed to take that size, but not always in a competitor's case.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well shes all together and ready to go.
    Win7 install from flash drive doesn't see M.2 drive because apparently win 7 doesnt have native nvme support.
    So now I have to research how to get through a clean install to this drive.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    ... and then I even heard complaints about radiators fitting in that case properly....
    That seems to be a common problem with AIO liquid coolers. They work in the manufacturer's own cases designed to take that size, but not always in a competitor's case.
    I have a Corsair AIO and a Corsair case designed for it. Still not the best fit. I couldn't figure out a good way to get the radiator in place without the hoses partially blocking my top drive bays. So I can't use the uppermost bay, but I only have one optical drive in this rig anyway. Could have been solved by moving the mount about an inch toward the rear of the case, which there was plenty of room to do.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Win7 install from flash drive doesn't see M.2 drive because apparently win 7 doesnt have native nvme support.
    Slipstream drivers?

[Edit]Oops. That is wrong. Never mind. I found this: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2817439/install-windows-x64-sm951-drive.html#16783917

and this:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-installing-windows-7-on-an-nvme-ssd-from...bdrive.783921/
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 23rd Jul 2016 at 11:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Slipstream drivers?

[Edit]Oops. That is wrong. Never mind. I found this: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2817439/install-windows-x64-sm951-drive.html#16783917

and this:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-installing-windows-7-on-an-nvme-ssd-from...bdrive.783921/
    Ok, I had a busy day today drinking beer on a boat so I didn't plan on getting to this... but when I saw your post I decided to mess with it a bit.
    Short story is Win7 has been installed directly to my M.2 drive.

Long story is from your notebook review link I did the step formatting the thumbdrive and copying my win7 iso to it.
    The next step was to modify the W7 installation files... it provided a link but apparently this is for existing computers not a new build so that was the end on that tutorial for me.

However scrolling down in the tutorial it speaks of loading the NVME drivers on the installation USB...
    Well I remember that when installing windows and getting to the screen where you pick your drive and format and so fourth there was a box to load drivers.
    So I downloaded this driver to a USB and loaded it up and it instantly recognized my M.2 in the windows install.

However when I tried to install to that drive it told me
    "Window cannot be installed to this disk. This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disks controller is enabled in the computers BIOS menu."

In reality I had no clue exactly what I was looking for in the BIOS at this point.

Where it came from I have no recollection at this point as I've been to so many web pages for this my head is spinning but I had a little blue post it note sitting there and it said to do this....
    BIOS
    Boot menu>>> Compatibility Support Mode>>>Launch CSM = Disabled
    Secure Boot >>>OS Type = Other OS
    Key Management>>>Clear secure boot keys

So I did the above.
    Booted into my flash drive with windows
    Get to the install... reload the NVME drivers again as they are gone after you exit windows setup.
    Select my M.2 drive and windows installs!

So I'm quite happy about that... its way past my bed time and I'm going to sleep.

On another note and quite ironically I think... I had stuck a HDD in there this morning before I left and was just going to install windows to it and using Samsungs Migration software clone to the M.2 later after the NVME drivers were installed.
    But I could not get Win7 to install to the SATA drive even though it recognized it with no issue.
    It told me that "setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the setup log files for more information"
    So no idea what is up with that....

Thank you very much to everyone here that helped me out. It's been awhile since I built a PC and some things like liquid cooling I've never done before and well then there's the M.2 drive from hell!!
    Looks like I have a long day of installing software and getting things set up tomorrow and finishing my cable management.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Post some finished photos, please.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Post some finished photos, please.
    Well, pretty pictures may be all I get out of this damn thing... I'm back in hell.
    Don't know what happened from the time I went to bed till waking up... all I did was swap HDD's for the one that was in there (empty) to the one I actually want to use in addition to my SSD.
    Now I can't get past the BIOS.

I did find where I got that original information that I used last night.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No-ct8pQcIg

Although this time around I don't think I installed a UEFI compatible version of windows (I'm not even totally sure what that means)

I don't even know what to type as my issues anymore since its just all one jumbled mess in my head right now.

If I try to have it boot from the SSD it just loads the bios.
    If I try to start over and install windows from my flash drive I get the first black screen that ASUS puts up that says American Megatrends on top and it tells me

The VGA card is not supported by UEFI driver.
    CSM settings have been changed for better compatibility.
    For further adjustments, press f1 to enter bios setup
    If no adjustments needed, press f2 to confirm the current settings and entor OS directly
    press f1 to run setup
    press f2 to continue

I've done everything I can think of and can't get out of the bios anymore.
    I just updated the bios to 0801 and nothing has changed.

I don't think I've ever quit anything in my life but if I don't get this running today I may be taking advantage of Amazons great return policy and sending everything back.
    This should require this amount of ******* thought. Simply trying to install windows for gods sake.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Heh, this is weird... after all this crap I just simply reinstalled windows from my dvd directly to the M.2 drive.
    I don't know if this had anything to do with the BIOS update or now.
    I didn't even have to manually load the driver this time when it came to selecting the SSD.
    Installed my drivers and windows is updating now...
    See what happens I guess.

According to this guy though... even though its a different drive its still NVME.... he simply used the dvd as well
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzIUPcgAgK0
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, pretty pictures may be all I get out of this damn thing... I'm back in hell.
    Don't know what happened from the time I went to bed till waking up... all I did was swap HDD's for the one that was in there (empty) to the one I actually want to use in addition to my SSD.
    Now I can't get past the BIOS.

I did find where I got that original information that I used last night.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No-ct8pQcIg

Although this time around I don't think I installed a UEFI compatible version of windows (I'm not even totally sure what that means)
    I'm guessing it means that if you are installing Windows 7 from a USB stick on a system with UEFI, you need to prepare the installation files differently than if you were installing Windows 7 on a system with a standard BIOS. Your YouTube page references the following for creating an installation on a USB stick: http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html
    There is a Win 7 section stating it is necessary to ""copy" the efi\microsoft\boot folder up one level into the efi folder as efi\boot."

Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No-ct8pQcIg again and see if there are any steps you missed among the things that you are supposed to do after Windows 7 installs and you have removed the USB stick containing the installer.

I don't even know what to type as my issues anymore since its just all one jumbled mess in my head right now.

If I try to have it boot from the SSD it just loads the bios.
    If I try to start over and install windows from my flash drive I get the first black screen that ASUS puts up that says American Megatrends on top and it tells me

The VGA card is not supported by UEFI driver.
    CSM settings have been changed for better compatibility.
    For further adjustments, press f1 to enter bios setup
    If no adjustments needed, press f2 to confirm the current settings and entor OS directly
    press f1 to run setup
    press f2 to continue

I've done everything I can think of and can't get out of the bios anymore.
    I just updated the bios to 0801 and nothing has changed.

I don't think I've ever quit anything in my life but if I don't get this running today I may be taking advantage of Amazons great return policy and sending everything back.
    This should require this amount of ******* thought. Simply trying to install windows for gods sake.
    Whatever the problem is, I think you have enough brains that you'll be able to figure it this out once you have regained you composure and relaxed again.

For certain a regular SATA SSD would be easier to deal with using Windows 7. Windows 10 has native support for M.2 but Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 do not.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Heh, this is weird... after all this crap I just simply reinstalled windows from my dvd directly to the M.2 drive.
    I don't know if this had anything to do with the BIOS update or now.
    I didn't even have to manually load the driver this time when it came to selecting the SSD.
    Installed my drivers and windows is updating now...
    See what happens I guess.

According to this guy though... even though its a different drive its still NVME.... he simply used the dvd as well
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzIUPcgAgK0
    Good to know things are working now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok so check this out....

The computer that I am replacing with the one I am currently building.... I noticed recently (last few weeks) that even after my fresh windows installs it was taking forever to boot... either with a Raptor 10k rpm hdd that I've had for years or a standard SATA SSD that I just purchased... Samsung 850
    One other new addition to this old pc was a new WD 6tb black drive.
    I'm talking 2+ minutes from a dead shut down.

This black drive is intended to be used with my SSD so after I got windows 7 running this morning I installed the black drive.
    Just the basics are installed so far.... drivers, windows updates, AVG and Firefox
    Booting from an M.2 drive after I installed that black drive drove my boot time up to 2 minutes or better...Windows splash screen coming in between 35-40 seconds. So we are talking a minimum 80 second windows boot....

Not I am typing this on my old pc that I removed the black drive from. I did a boot from a dead shut down.... post in about 25 seconds and windows screen on in 60 seconds (this is from my Raptor HDD).

What the hell could this black drive possibly be doing to slow my boot times down?

Just did a comparison on the new build.
    Absolutely nothing hooked up... full boot in 1:18... still way too long and longer than my HDD on my old machine
    Hooked up an older 1.5tb drive... same thing 1:18
    Hooked up the black drive and boot time went to 2:09

edit>>>don't have time to read this all right now but same problem for this guy
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/280373-32-very-slow-boot-times-adding-hard-disc-system-boot

edit#2>>> so I did browse through this a little more...did this
    Start > Right Click Computer > Properties
    Click System Protection
    Click your huge data drive (D drive in my case)
    Click configured
    Click the Delete button to remove all useless restore points
    Click Turn off system protection to permanently disable them.

Now my boot time is down to the same as the others with my 6tb.... about 1:18
    So I'm happy about that.
    But that is still too long... especially when I see people posting about sub 15 second boot times with a standard SSD drive.... I'm nearly triple that.

So checking my drivers in device manager under storage controllers there is the smasung nvme controller with the driver I installed Image
    [Attachment 37935 - Click to enlarge]

Under disk drives there is the samsung 950 and listed as a scsi drive with an old driver from microsoft 2006. Why is this listed as a scsi drive? Image
    [Attachment 37936 - Click to enlarge]

And the research will continue .... after the gym!
    Last edited by lordhutt; 24th Jul 2016 at 16:40. Reason: more info
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [Attachment 37942 - Click to enlarge]

Well, there she is...mostly together.
    As of right now I am totally unhappy with the boot speed. From a dead shut down I'm at almost 80 seconds. 36 seconds just to see the Windows startup. And there is no reason it should take another 40 to load Windows... I have what I'm assuming is the fastest ssd you can buy!
    My PC I want to replace with this boots in 60 seconds with a 10k rpm HDD so something is definitely wrong here.
    Especially with this being a fresh install with almost no programs installed yet.

Samsung Magician reports good speeds so maybe it will run fast when its booted but I'm seeing people with SATA SSD's booting in less than half the time.
    Last edited by lordhutt; 25th Jul 2016 at 10:52.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My PC from my Computer Details boots to the full Windows 7 64bit home screen in about 30 seconds. And the PC is loaded with files and programs.
    It booted much faster when the PC was first built and empty. My boot drive is a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB SATA disk device and about 30% full.
    I keep it under 50% full max.

The PC has 3 BD burners and 4 1TB WD Black drives and a USB 3.0 4TB external drive.
    The drivers for all drives are the ones that came with the MB, even for the SSD. AHCI is on for the drives.

No idea why your new PC is taking that long. But it sounds like a program/OS load problem, maybe not the SSD.
    You can try selective startup and see if you can isolate the problem. Use the 'Windows' + 'R' key, then type ' msconfig '.
    This site may give you some more help: http://www.wikismarter.com/2014/09/how-to-run-selective-startup-in-windows_1.html

But the PC looks nice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My PC from my Computer Details boots to the full Windows 7 64bit home screen in about 30 seconds. And the PC is loaded with files and programs.
    It booted much faster when the PC was first built and empty. My boot drive is a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB SATA disk device and about 30% full.
    I keep it under 50% full max.

The PC has 3 BD burners and 4 1TB WD Black drives and a USB 3.0 4TB external drive.
    The drivers for all drives are the ones that came with the MB, even for the SSD. AHCI is on for the drives.

No idea why your new PC is taking that long. But it sounds like a program/OS load problem, maybe not the SSD.
    You can try selective startup and see if you can isolate the problem. Use the 'Windows' + 'R' key, then type ' msconfig '.
    This site may give you some more help: http://www.wikismarter.com/2014/09/how-to-run-selective-startup-in-windows_1.html

But the PC looks nice.
    Yeah there is definitely an issue. Just don't really know where to look at this point.
    I'm going to email ASUS and ask them if this board should be taking 36 seconds to post before windows even starts loading.

My computer details... are you talking about this site?
    http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/my-computer-details
    How did you see your boot time from there? And what OS are you running... I hear 10 will boot faster.

There is not really much going on in msconfig... actually had already looked there... even if something was up in there that would just affect the windows part of the boot... post is still taking longer than the whole process should take.

I'm wondering if how I installed Windows can have anything to do with it? With all the crap I had to go through to install directly to that drive I honestly can't even tell you the exact procedure I used or what settings may have changed in the BIOS... although not many have been changed. I do know I installed directly from the DVD which in the beginning everything I read said you needed to install from a flash drive.
    Also wondering if installing the M.2 card in the PCIe adaptor directly in a PCIe slot would make a difference over the M.2 slot... although I can't see it being that big of a deal.

Anyway... taking a break for the night... tomorrows another day!

But the PC looks nice.
    Thanks... I have a love/hate relationship with it right now.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK. I was confused by the fact that Samsung's drivers for a type of product that didn't exist in 2006 are being identified as provided by Microsoft for a SCSI drive and dated 6/21/2006
    Quote Quote  
  19. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My 'Computer Details' are the ones on our site. They are from the small computer icon below my avatar here. Just click it.

OR:

AMD FX-8350 8 Core CPU 4.2Ghz
    1600MB G. Skill DDR3 1866 RAM
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 MB
    Nvidia GeForce GT610 Graphics

Corsair H50 Hydro CPU cooler

1 X 250GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO Boot Drive
    4 X 1500GB Western Digital SATA VI Data Drives

Pioneer BDR-209D BDRW
    Pioneer BDR-209D BDRW
    Pioneer BDR-208M BDRW

Asus X551CA Laptop
    Samsung BD F5100 BD Player
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zulema8850 View Post
    Don't go for GTX, MSI X99A Intel EATX Motherboard is better. Try it, a lot of reviews say it's really cool. This is a feature full motherboard for a not-so-expensive-in-comparison-to-others price. Install went easy, everything just works, and it looks so cool without any weird color schemes or weird logos. OC genie put my 5820k 600MHz higher although I'm sure I could push it more if I cared enough, and the UEFI is extremely easy to use even if the boot menu is a little weird at first.

One thing that did happen was the USB 3.0 ports were working on and off. It turned out I had downloaded and installed the drivers for an X99S motherboard, rather than for this particular X99A motherboard. Apparently, that one letter made a difference because I uninstalled the wrong ones, used the correct ones, and now everything works flawlessly.
    You are too late. The new computer is already built!
    Quote Quote  
  21. If you're already purchasing an LGA-2011v3 board, and plan to do a lot of video encoding, get an i7-6800k. This one has 6 cores instead of the usual 4. i7 can use hyperthreading so you get 12 cores for video encoding as opposed to 8. If you have the budget, liquid cooling is cool, but I've never had any issues with air cooling doing video encoding on my PC running an i7-4790k at normal settings (not overclocked). I ditch the stock Intel coolers and almost always buy a Cooler Master one. They're way quieter and they cool better. I run CoreTemp with overheat protection turned on just to be on the safe side.

EDIT: Dang it I'm too late. Well, anyway, if you have the money you can still upgrade to an i7-6800k as you have the right board for it.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stonesfan129 View Post
    If you're already purchasing an LGA-2011v3 board, and plan to do a lot of video encoding, get an i7-6800k. This one has 6 cores instead of the usual 4. i7 can use hyperthreading so you get 12 cores for video encoding as opposed to 8. If you have the budget, liquid cooling is cool, but I've never had any issues with air cooling doing video encoding on my PC running an i7-4790k at normal settings (not overclocked). I ditch the stock Intel coolers and almost always buy a Cooler Master one. They're way quieter and they cool better. I run CoreTemp with overheat protection turned on just to be on the safe side.

EDIT: Dang it I'm too late. Well, anyway, if you have the money you can still upgrade to an i7-6800k as you have the right board for it.
    Even knowing that this thread started in mid June, some people still didn't think they needed to read through it before making recommendations in August.

The OP decided early in the thread to buy an i7-5820K (also 6 core and up to 28 PCI-e lanes) and less expensive than an i7-6800k.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 24th Aug 2016 at 11:59.
    Quote Quote