VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

    MakeMKV, MeGUI, DVDFab, AnyDVD HD won't rip one of my blu-rays. They all get an error somewhere along the ripping process. Every now and again, one of the programs will rip successfully, but the completion bar will say it got to 94% or some arbitrary percentage. Of those programs that does rip it, the video file will have a 5 second chunk of the movie missing. Lame. I've ripped a few blu rays before but never have had this problem.

    Could it be my Blu-Ray is corrupt? Is there another decrypter/ripper I could try?

    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    West Texas
    Search PM
    Yes, its possible you have a bad copy. AnyDVD HD, DVDFab and MakeMKV are the best available tools for decrypting Blu-ray, so you probably won't have any more luck using one of the cheap Chinese programs like Pavtube.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by safetyboy View Post
    Hi,

    MakeMKV, MeGUI, DVDFab, AnyDVD HD won't rip one of my blu-rays. They all get an error somewhere along the ripping process. Every now and again, one of the programs will rip successfully, but the completion bar will say it got to 94% or some arbitrary percentage. Of those programs that does rip it, the video file will have a 5 second chunk of the movie missing. Lame. I've ripped a few blu rays before but never have had this problem.

    Could it be my Blu-Ray is corrupt? Is there another decrypter/ripper I could try?

    Thanks in advance.
    If you have a Blu-ray player (stand-alone hardware) you should test the disc with that. If the media is defective it will likely play, but not perfectly. If the disc doesn't play at all, it is more likely that the copy protection used for this disc is causing the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by safetyboy View Post
    Hi,

    MakeMKV, MeGUI, DVDFab, AnyDVD HD won't rip one of my blu-rays. They all get an error somewhere along the ripping process. Every now and again, one of the programs will rip successfully, but the completion bar will say it got to 94% or some arbitrary percentage. Of those programs that does rip it, the video file will have a 5 second chunk of the movie missing. Lame. I've ripped a few blu rays before but never have had this problem.

    Could it be my Blu-Ray is corrupt? Is there another decrypter/ripper I could try?

    Thanks in advance.
    If you have a Blu-ray player (stand-alone hardware) you should test the disc with that. If the media is defective it will likely play, but not perfectly. If the disc doesn't play at all, it is more likely that the copy protection used for this disc is causing the problem.
    Plays fine on the stand-alone Blu-ray player. The Blu-ray was manufactured in 2013, so it isn't relatively new.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    West Texas
    Search PM
    Always easier to play a disc than rip it, since there is error correction built into the players and they'll even skip over bad sectors. You need a perfect copy to rip properly.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 11th Jun 2016 at 16:44. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Search Comp PM
    I believe it might be my blu-ray burner. When I copy individual streams, a file might copy at 1 MB/s. When I take out the disc and reinsert, that same file will copy at 20 MB/s. Seems like the burner is dying to me...
    Quote Quote  
  7. my void is bigger 2ears1mouth0brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Melbourne AU
    Search Comp PM
    I have just finished ripping dozens of Blu-ray discs. I found my external Blu-ray player was extremely susceptible to marks on discs (dust, fingerprints, water marks), especially near the inner ring. Using some Finyl solution on the discs & drive optics usually fixed things. Oh, my drive also seemed to complain the hotter it got. Get a good disc cleaning solution, that's my recommendation.

    Still, I occasionally had your problem. So I wrote myself a console command-line Windows program to read/copy a file in 128 kB chunks, but to fill in read errors with zero bytes and continue. (You'll need DVDFab Passkey or similar to unprotect the disc.) So some frames are corrupt or missing, but you get a file. If you want a copy, please PM me your email address; hopefully I'll find your message.
    Last edited by 2ears1mouth0brain; 20th Jun 2016 at 00:37. Reason: Addition
    Quote Quote  
  8. What happens if you clean the disc and try again? Any luck? You might also try a different Blu-ray drive for ripping and see if that corrects it. FWIW, I have run into errors in the past as well and it was always related to a fingerprint or smudge on the disc that I missed.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member mdhankins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    California
    Search Comp PM
    I just registered on this site because I'm having pretty much the same issue with ripping a Blu ray disc with MakeMKV. Just this week, I purchased a new internal LG BluRay drive off Amazon that had good ratings (HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40 1.02) so I could start ripping my small blu ray collection, starting with Star Wars (all 7). It was going pretty well until I got to Revenge of the Sith. With this one I keep getting errors like this:

    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00301.m2ts' at offset '41558077440'
    Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '41558077440'
    Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '41558077440'
    Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '41558077440'
    Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '41558081536'
    Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '41558081536'
    Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '41558081536'
    Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '41558081536'
    Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '41558081536'
    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00301.m2ts' at offset '41558077440'
    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00301.m2ts' at offset '41558077440'
    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00301.m2ts' at offset '41558077440'
    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00301.m2ts' at offset '41558077440'
    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00301.m2ts' at offset '41558077440'
    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00301.m2ts' at offset '41558077440'
    Failed to save title 2 to file G:/Video/Revenge_of_the_Sith/Revenge_of_the_Sith_t02.mkv

    I've looked very closely at the disc and found no finger prints or scratches. The disc has only been played once or twice and is pretty much in pristine condition. I tried cleaning it anyway with a very mild LCD cleaning solution. (It probably isn't the ideal cleaner for discs, but so far has worked well for me. ) Anyway, I saw on some site a suggestion that this problem is due to a copy protection scheme and that I just need to find the right track to rip. I've been going through the tracks and ripping them one at a time to see which one will work. (I'm now realizing that ripping them all might take more time, but could be easier than one by one).

    Anyway, am I on the right track here? I thought that the problem might be with MakeMKV and I started looking for an alternate blu ray ripper for Windows, but so far I haven't found one that is free to use (or at least try) like MakeMKV.

    Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives to try? I've got a lot of experience with computers and system administration, but with video I'm kind of a noob. For the most part I have used Handbrake up until now, which has worked great for my DVDs. I had no idea that Blu Ray discs could be so difficult. With DVDs if I had problems with Handbrake (along with libdvdcss.dll) ripping my discs, I could always turn to trusty old DVDDecrypter. Right now I have no clue what to do.

    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    West Texas
    Search PM
    The only free alternatives to MakeMKV are the two DVDFab programs called DVDFab HD Decrypter and DVDFab Passkey Lite.

    DVDFab HD Decrypter is part of their main decryption/ripping/conversion program. It should still work after the trial ends, but it lags behind on encryption updates. You should be able to use the full version of DVDFab Blu-ray Copy in trial mode for 30 days.

    The other choice is AnyDVD HD. They have a trial for a limited time period too.

    But your errors look like read errors to me. And these programs might not help if that is the case. You can only try one and see if it works.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mdhankins View Post
    I just registered on this site because I'm having pretty much the same issue with ripping a Blu ray disc with MakeMKV. Just this week, I purchased a new internal LG BluRay drive off Amazon that had good ratings (HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH16NS40 1.02) so I could start ripping my small blu ray collection, starting with Star Wars (all 7). It was going pretty well until I got to Revenge of the Sith. With this one I keep getting errors like this:

    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00301.m2ts' at offset '41558077440'
    Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '41558077440'
    Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '41558077440'
    Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '41558077440'
    Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '41558081536'
    Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '41558081536'
    Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '41558081536'
    Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '41558081536'
    Error 'OS error - STATUS_DEVICE_DATA_ERROR' occurred while reading '\Device\CdRom0' at offset '41558081536'
    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00301.m2ts' at offset '41558077440'
    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00301.m2ts' at offset '41558077440'
    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00301.m2ts' at offset '41558077440'
    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00301.m2ts' at offset '41558077440'
    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00301.m2ts' at offset '41558077440'
    Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00301.m2ts' at offset '41558077440'
    Failed to save title 2 to file G:/Video/Revenge_of_the_Sith/Revenge_of_the_Sith_t02.mkv

    I've looked very closely at the disc and found no finger prints or scratches. The disc has only been played once or twice and is pretty much in pristine condition. I tried cleaning it anyway with a very mild LCD cleaning solution. (It probably isn't the ideal cleaner for discs, but so far has worked well for me. ) Anyway, I saw on some site a suggestion that this problem is due to a copy protection scheme and that I just need to find the right track to rip. I've been going through the tracks and ripping them one at a time to see which one will work. (I'm now realizing that ripping them all might take more time, but could be easier than one by one).

    Anyway, am I on the right track here? I thought that the problem might be with MakeMKV and I started looking for an alternate blu ray ripper for Windows, but so far I haven't found one that is free to use (or at least try) like MakeMKV.

    Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives to try? I've got a lot of experience with computers and system administration, but with video I'm kind of a noob. For the most part I have used Handbrake up until now, which has worked great for my DVDs. I had no idea that Blu Ray discs could be so difficult. With DVDs if I had problems with Handbrake (along with libdvdcss.dll) ripping my discs, I could always turn to trusty old DVDDecrypter. Right now I have no clue what to do.

    Thanks in advance.
    hold the disc at an angle while under a bright light
    and see if there are any manufacturing defects. If not
    the disc may have copy protection that makeMKV
    cannot handle. So you will need to use a decrypter
    that can copy the disc such as dvdfab.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member mdhankins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    California
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the responses guys. I'll give them a try.
    Quote Quote  
  13. my void is bigger 2ears1mouth0brain's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Melbourne AU
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    But your errors look like read errors to me. And these programs might not help if that is the case. You can only try one and see if it works.
    I found my Sony disc drive was very susceptible to transparent discs i.e. those without a paper label, only ink. My solution was to cover the entire label side with black electrical tape. This solved most of my disc errors. Obviously not a good solution for repetitive playback.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    in time
    Search Comp PM
    run anydvd

    create a new folder on your desktop

    select all file on your blu-ray, copy it all on your new folder

    any error?
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads