VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

i bought a VCR player which can playback true NTSC and bypass ES10 (set to NTSC also) it come out fine.

But the problem is when i cap using VirtualDub it has many drop frame, but no insert frame as what i notice

How do i solve the drop frame issue??

My desktop is running INTEL CORE I7-4770 SOCKET 1150 3.40 GHZ, 16GB MEMORY
    Quote Quote  
  2. What codec are you using to capture with Virtualdub?.... I had problems with dropped frames when trying to capture either as uncompressed - or with a highly compressed long GOP format like x.264.
    I've had almost no dropped frames when capturing to an intraframe intermediate codec... I use THIS ONE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I using the HuffYUV-multithreaded code. But i notice this code had issue with adobe premiere pro. So i going to try Lagarith code to capture again
    Quote Quote  
  4. I tried the Lagarith codec, but still got quite a lot of dropped frames?.......I got much better results using an intermediate..... YMMV of course...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Did you try the settings in the post manono linked to? In particular, make sure audio playback is disabled and A/V re-sync is disabled. Use the regular huffyuv because it's very fast and the least likely video codec to cause problems. Once you get to the point where you can cap without dropped frames you can try codecs that compress more. Also, don't compress audio during capture, leave it as uncompressed PCM.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i had problem loading the regular huffyuv, It dont show up at Virtualdub

EDIT: manage to find a way to install... thanks

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Did you try the settings in the post manono linked to? In particular, make sure audio playback is disabled and A/V re-sync is disabled. Use the regular huffyuv because it's very fast and the least likely video codec to cause problems. Once you get to the point where you can cap without dropped frames you can try codecs that compress more. Also, don't compress audio during capture, leave it as uncompressed PCM.
    Last edited by harky; 11th Jun 2016 at 10:13.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    55min show, 20gb, is it too huge?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by harky View Post
    Then try UT video codec. It's almost as fast.

What about all the other questions people have been asking you? If you don't help us by responding to them we can't help you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by harky View Post
    No, it's not. That's just the way things are when capturing video. Once you've captured the video you can use slow, high compression codecs to make a smaller video.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    most recommend huffyuv & Lagarith.

BTW what format is the best i can backup for future? but serious i dont know hw to use Virtualdub expect CAPTURE.
    my usually edit prog is adobe premiere pro.
    I hope to cap high.. edit and save as final (backup for future)

Originally Posted by harky View Post
    Then try UT video codec. It's almost as fast.

What about all the other questions people have been asking you? If you don't help us by responding to them we can't help you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by harky View Post
    If file sizes are a problem, then using an intermediate codec may help. The HQX codec I linked to in post #2 will give you file sizes of about 7GB per hour with standard settings. That's roughly half the size of DV files - and of a similar quality....

Not lossless, but probably more than adequate for VHS capture. It's free - so try it out - and if it doesn't work out, there's no money lost.....
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    size not the issue

what format is the best i can backup for future? but serious i dont know hw to use Virtualdub expect CAPTURE.
    my usually edit prog is adobe premiere pro.

Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    If file sizes are a problem, then using an intermediate codec may help. The HQX codec I linked to in post #2 will give you file sizes of about 7GB per hour with standard settings. That's roughly half the size of DV files - and of a similar quality....

Not lossless, but probably more than adequate for VHS capture. It's free - so try it out - and if it doesn't work out, there's no money lost.....
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i try this.. it seen ok

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Also, check your setting to see if they're similar to the ones in this thread:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/364495-Confirmation-of-process-for-capturing-from-VHS-to-archive
    Last edited by harky; 12th Jun 2016 at 08:20.
    Quote Quote  
  14. The short clip attached to THIS POST was made capturing with Virtualdub and HQX codec. No dropped frames.....

EDIT - I posted this before you edited your post above.... (you originally posted 'still dropped frames')
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by harky View Post
    what format is the best i can backup for future?
    There's no simple answer to that question.

Lossless codecs like huffyuv, lagarith, ut video codec give the best quality. But you can't play those videos on a DVD player, Blu-ray player, or most standalone media players, only a computer. And the files are extremely large. Are you willing to archive that much data? And finally, will you be able to find a decoder for them 50 years from now?

MPEG 2 on DVD has lower quality but it's easily played with a DVD player or Blu-ray player. The files are much smaller than any of the lossless codecs can deliver. Given the commercial popularity of DVDs you'll probably still be able to view the videos 50 years from now.

h.264 video in an MP4 container can be good quality and smaller that MPEG 2. It's easily played on a lot of devices now. In 50 years it will probably still be playable since it's used in many consumer applications now.

Xvid in AVI? h.264 in MKV? Who knows.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it seen working after i tick this

Automatically disable resync when integrated audio / video capture is detected

Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    The short clip attached to THIS POST was made capturing with Virtualdub and HQX codec. No dropped frames.....

EDIT - I posted this before you edited your post above.... (you originally posted 'still dropped frames')
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LOL tht true too..

but i guess most use media player to play it..
    so i guess my hope is convert format which media player can play and display on tv

what format is the best i can backup for future?
    There's no simple answer to that question.

Lossless codecs like huffyuv, lagarith, ut video codec give the best quality. But you can't play those videos on a DVD player, Blu-ray player, or most standalone media players, only a computer. And the files are extremely large. Are you willing to archive that much data? And finally, will you be able to find a decoder for them 50 years from now?

MPEG 2 on DVD has lower quality but it's easily played with a DVD player or Blu-ray player. The files are much smaller than any of the lossless codecs can deliver. Given the commercial popularity of DVDs you'll probably still be able to view the videos 50 years from now.

h.264 video in an MP4 container can be good quality and smaller that MPEG 2. It's easily played on a lot of devices now. In 50 years it will probably still be playable since it's used in many consumer applications now.

Xvid in AVI? h.264 in MKV? Who knows.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    some1 mention DNxHD is best..

i wonder isit true?
    Quote Quote  
  19. There is no best. There is just the best compromise for your situation. No standalone media player, cell phone, etc. will play DNxHD.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    than which will u suggest?

There is no best. There is just the best compromise for your situation. No standalone media player, cell phone, etc. will play DNxHD.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I suggest you consider your needs, desires, and financial situation, and decide what's "best" for you yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sigh.. I quite a Nb on this
    Quote Quote