VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I had to replace MB, CPU, and RAM. PC kept rebooting after all I did to fix it.

Now, I need help with connecting the HDD with the OS. The MB is a Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2H, It has four SATA heathers (ports). Please see the attached picture. They are numbered 0, 1, 2, and 3. SATA3 0/1, SATA2 2/SATA2 2/3. I don't want to mess it up. In which one do I connect the OS HDD (boot drive). I have two data HDDs too.

Well. I thought I had solved the reboot problem but it eventually got worse and could not start even in save mode.

Thank you in anticipation.

John
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GA-H81M-S2H Motherboard Layout.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	37318  

Last edited by jollyjohn; 7th Jun 2016 at 05:57.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Disconnect the other two drives. Plug the boot drive into port 0. Does it boot?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    usually the first sata connector, Sata 0, is the one to connect a boot disk.
    Check if it is set to first boot device in the bios/uefi.

But using a bootdrive from another computer is not a good idea, better a fresh install of windows.

It looks to me that your "old" windows install has problems, did you reinstall before changing the hardware?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys for answering.

I'm just putting it together with the new parts. I needed to know what port to use for the OS drive before installing HDs.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

John
    Quote Quote  
  5. It doesn't really matter which port you use because you can set the boot order in the BIOS. But a boot drive from one computer often will not boot when transferred to another computer because of the different hardware.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ANY and/or ALL can be used to boot from, provided the port is included in the BIOS's boot order and the drive has an active bootable partition on it.

But because the NATIVE automatic boot order (not manually re-ordered) sees Port 0 first, it naturally makes the most sense to put your boot drive on it. That way, should your boot order get lost/corrupted and you needed to boot with a default-reset BIOS setting, it would still boot correctly.

Scott

BTW, does Heather know she is being referred to as a "port"?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As above.

More than that, the bios settings determine boot order so even if you set CD/DVD with priority over HDD it is the first HDD that it finds that can actually boot that will be selected as long as there is no bootable CD/DVD in the drive.

Another thing. If you still have a spare SATA port - the DVD drive might use it - you would want to reserve one of the SATA3 ports.

But with your previous boot issues, you might want to re-install the OS rather than attempt to use the existing one, which, as stated, may not boot anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    G'day guys.

It's all good now. All went well,I installed new MB, New CPU, and New RAM. Re installed OS and now the computer is running really well. The only pain has been to recover some data from the old installs and the installation of software. I have been using the same box for about 20 years now. Still has a drive A bay and the opening on the front panel. The original keyboard is also still working.

Many thanks to all of you guys for helping me once more.

Kind regards

John
    Last edited by jollyjohn; 9th Jun 2016 at 23:08.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry.

Duplicate post.
    Last edited by jollyjohn; 9th Jun 2016 at 23:09.
    Quote Quote