VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can a cable box's analog video (via single rca cable) be sent to a VGA monitor without the use of a conversion box between? Cheap cable recommendation?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well... yes and no - in theory yes, modern decoders are VGA signal timing capable, you can also enable sync on green and sent grayscale video over single wire with sync pulses - video will be grayscale (depend on monitor capabilities can be also green).
    No - VGA is component interface so to sent colour video you need provide separate component signals.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vassock View Post
    Can a cable box's analog video (via single rca cable) be sent to a VGA monitor without the use of a conversion box between? Cheap cable recommendation?
    Electronics are needed to convert a composite video signal to a VGA signal for a computer monitor. A simple cable with no electronics can only transmit the signal it receives, and a VGA computer monitor cannot use any of the video signals that your cable box can output.

The composite video and stereo audio to VGA cables one sees for sale might be used for sending those signals over existing VGA wiring in a conference room, by using the same cable on both ends. They might also be used to connect a device with a matching pinout that can accept or output composite video and stereo audio from a DE-15 connection to one with standard RCA connections. However the main reason they are offered for sale is to separate the uninformed from their money.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 7th Jun 2016 at 10:38.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will this work? Any other suggestions on something I can get quickly via Amazon Prime?

http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Resolution-Composite-S-Video-Converter/dp/B00M4JY722?ie=U...sories&sr=1-27

Some more details:

The monitor is a Samsung CRT with a permanently attached VGA cable.

The cable box in question is a rather old Optimum or Cablevision box which I suspect uses a single ("yellow") video out analog cable. It's possible there may be an S-Video out on the box and highly unlikely that a component video option is available.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It should work if the monitor is not too old, but maybe not perfectly. With these types of converters, there are lots of user complaints that the picture displayed on the monitor is not centered. Also, as you must realize, the picture on the monitor can't be the best, even if it is centered, due to it being composite video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vassock View Post
    Will this work? Any other suggestions on something I can get quickly via Amazon Prime?

http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Resolution-Composite-S-Video-Converter/dp/B00M4JY722?ie=U...sories&sr=1-27

Some more details:

The monitor is a Samsung CRT with a permanently attached VGA cable.

The cable box in question is a rather old Optimum or Cablevision box which I suspect uses a single ("yellow") video out analog cable. It's possible there may be an S-Video out on the box and highly unlikely that a component video option is available.
    I have the twin of converter you linked to (my purchase here: [URL]http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE-1280X1024-Computer-Converter-Switchers/dp/B00D7HMS7G?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui _search_detailpage[/URL}

I used it to convert the S-Video out from my modded Atari 2600 console to the VGA input on my 40" LCD (with no S-Video input). I also had the unconverted video output (through a splitter) going to a second smaller 20" LCD at the same time. If I didn't have the second TV, I might have been okay with the converted output, but since I could compare them, the converted output was much leas clear (in part due to the larger screen size) and the color was way off (no matter how I adjusted the converter or TV). SInce I got a modded console to get an accurate picture, I gave up on using the converter.

FWIW, I'd forget about re-purposing your monitor and put the $20 towards a 20" or larger CRT TV which can easily be found for $20 or free!
    Last edited by lingyi; 7th Jun 2016 at 22:54.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that's it.
    Quote Quote