VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This question may have been asked and I do apologize if so. I've done plenty of recording, editing, and rendering in HD but I've never authored a Blu Ray disc. I've got a project I'm working on that I'd like to try it on. I've used DVD Lab Pro for a long time to author DVD. Is there a program for Blu Ray to create menus and such that might not be too difficult to learn ro adapt to?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 is one of the simpler ones. Not free, but there is a limited trial available.

MultiAVCHD is free, but is cranky and takes patience to learn.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 6th Jun 2016 at 12:23. Reason: typo driving me crazy
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was just about to suggest trying TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 as well.

If TAW 5 is not advanced enough, unfortunately there are only a couple of choices (Blu-Disc Studio and EasyBD Studio) between TAW 5 (and similar) and professional Blu-ray authoring software costing thousands.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If I were starting from scratch TAW is definitely where I would go. I already own Encore which is sufficient to my needs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    for the price blu-disc studio lite can't be beat. it's free.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. It sounds like you want to author BDMV sans BD-J support. My remarks will focus on that criteria.

It all comes down to what you hope to accomplish. If you don't want to think or work any harder than throwing a canned menu on top of your movie, then TAW5 is an option, but I think it is also worth mentioning Sony Movie Studio 13 Suite. I couldn't stand TAW5 when I demo'd it because I demand far more flexibility in my menu designs. Different strokes for different folks. I never demo'd Sony MS13, so I don't know if it is any better than TAW5 or not. On the other end of the spectrum there is blu-disc studio lite which, while completely free form and free, has a steep learning curve. For me, the middle compromise between complete handholding and a blank template wondering "how do I even begin?" was Sony DVD Architect. It is pricey, but the learning curve is shallow if you have any experience authoring DVD menus.

At the end of the day, it is a question of BDAV vs BDMV with or without BD-J support and a muxer. The good news is all these programs offer free trials. I STRONGLY recommend you demo each before purchasing. Only you can answer which one best fits your needs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You can customize every element of TAW menus including images, backgrounds and positioning. Most folks don't dig that deep into it, but it's there and fairly powerful.

Totally agree with SameSelf on this though, try them out.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm going to give TAW a shot. I'm not looking to make crazy interactive menus. I do want to be able to have multiple titles and link to each and have it return to the menu. It looks as if I need to read up some more on the Blu Ray format also. Thanks for the responses. I'm really hoping this turns out well. I recorded a benefit concert and some of the extra stuff that went on and I'd like to be able to make something nice for those involved.
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you are authoring a BD-R for general distribution, be aware that not all players can play a burned BDMV e.g. xbox one.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    If you are authoring a BD-R for general distribution, be aware that not all players can play a burned BDMV e.g. xbox one.
    It will be mainly for the members of the band and family. I don't want to get overzealous. I likely won't be selling copies on Blu-ray unless the entire process goes off without any kinks at all, which we all know rarely happens. I'm doing it more as a learning experience than anythimg. Absolute worst case scenario I'll just do it on DVD and upload high resolution to web.
    Quote Quote  
  11. OK, good luck!

Last year I authored my very first BDMV after demo'ing several software options. The good news is there are options for just about every requirement. So finding the one that fits your needs shouldn't be hard. However, with that said, authoring a BDMV is a whole new ball of wax from the rather simple process of editing video. I put together a simple workflow guide documenting my experience (more for my own reference than anyone else's). You might find it useful.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/376006-BDMV-Authoring-Workflow-Guide
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    OK, good luck!

Last year I authored my very first BDMV after demo'ing several software options. The good news is there are options for just about every requirement. So finding the one that fits your needs shouldn't be hard. However, with that said, authoring a BDMV is a whole new ball of wax from the rather simple process of editing video. I put together a simple workflow guide documenting my experience (more for my own reference than anyone else's). You might find it useful.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/376006-BDMV-Authoring-Workflow-Guide
    Thanks. I'll look at everything when I get a chance soon. The last few days I've been busy trying to get the different angles and audio sources synced and work also. I used 2 Geekpro cameras and they proved to be a major PITA to sync with the other 2 cameras.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by stantheman1976 View Post
    Thanks. I'll look at everything when I get a chance soon. The last few days I've been busy trying to get the different angles and audio sources synced and work also. I used 2 Geekpro cameras and they proved to be a major PITA to sync with the other 2 cameras.
    Hmm, I regularly have to sync up audio and video manually in post. While not as easy as a mouse click, it is certainly not as hard as you describe. What NLE do you use?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    Originally Posted by stantheman1976 View Post
    Hmm, I regularly have to sync up audio and video manually in post. While not as easy as a mouse click, it is certainly not as hard as you describe. What NLE do you use?
    I use Vegas 13. I've never had any major issues either. I've synced SD and HD from tape and non tape cameras before. This is the first time I've ever had trouble. Normally I use a camera flash when lining up multiple angles and they stay in sync throughout. Those Geekpro camera split the files in different size segments. One split it in 15 minute segments and the other in 5 minute blocks and the weren't seemless. For one angle I had on the drummer I had 31 files to line up. Some of them I had to stretch or shrink by a frame or two. I had no problems with the external audio sources either. Just those damn Geekpros.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    never heard of geekpro. some chinese crap?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    never heard of geekpro. some chinese crap?
    GoPro knock off. Same exact size and I can use the same accessories. You can get one on Amazon for around $80 that comes with a carrying case and a crap load of mounts. The video is really decent. Not quite as vibrant as the GoPro but with some filtering it works well. I have one and I borrowed one too. 2 of the 4 cameras I was using and the audio recorder were borrowed. So I expected some challenges. For what I was working with I'm happy with the end result. I did it because we know the people in the band. It was their 40th anniversary show and a benefit for the Make A Wish foundatuon. I'd happily go through the trouble again for good people and and good cause.
    Quote Quote  
  17. https://youtu.be/e1G3DmeGUyE

Here's a clip of one of the Geekpros set up next to the drummer with different audio mixed in. Part of the problem was the audio from those was so muddy I couldn't use it for reference. The audio here is a soundboard out mixed with audio from a Tascam recorder. I sill have to do some work on the audio. The audio from the board was pretty low and a little stale so I had to amplify, try some noise reduction, and need to EQ a little.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Any time I record a concert, the audio always takes precedence over the video. I will go through strenuous efforts and jump through hoops to get great audio. In fact, I always get an assistant to man the cams, so I can concentrate 100% on the audio. Because if your audio stinks, you're hosed. May as well toss the entire project because nobody will want to watch/listen.

I have a buddy whose audio setup costs easily as much as professional camcorders. There are always tricks that can be used to spruce up poor video, and if you spend a lot of time watching music videos, you will quickly learn that even crummy video can be art when paired with great audio. For me the most critical aspect of good video is multi-cams, and you have already solved that problem.

EDIT: Like aedipuss, I too have never heard of the geekpro. But have you posted to the Video Conversion sub-forum? I am sure with some help and the proper tools, you can transcode the geekpro video to something more edit friendly before bringing into Vegas to sync up.
    Last edited by SameSelf; 10th Jun 2016 at 08:06.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I agree about the importance of audio. I used to have more than I do now. I sold the recorders, mics, and preamps I had because I never used them any more and don't plan to do any for hire projects so I had no reason to keep them. For that reason I had to borrow some of what I used. I only did this because of the people who asked me and what it was for. I don't plan on doing anything like this again unless it was for the same people but most likely it was a one off thing.. The soundboard audio was something I didn't know if I'd be able to get or not until that afternoon at sound check. It was a late minute thing.

As for the Geek Pro video Vegas had no problem with the format. I don't believe the issue was with the format the video was in. It was a cheap camera with timing issues. I've already put it all together and gotten everything synced pretty much dead on. If there is any drift anywhere in the project it's no more than a frame or two. If a project like this were to come up again that camera won't get used again because of that.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I was referring to when you said one camera resulted in 31 different files. But it sounds like you know what you are doing, so it's all good! Good to know about the geekpro though, I will be sure to steer clear from those .
    Quote Quote  
  21. I knew the GeekPro split files before I bought one. I don't know why mine split them into one length and the other a completely different length though. They really aren't bad cameras. If you want a cheap alternative to a GoPro to take places it's more likely to get damaged it's not a bad alternative. If I hadn't been trying to sync them with multiple other sources it wouldn't have been so bad. Oh well. Live and learn though.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hey guys, I also though about using dual layer DVD instead of single. I could fit the entire thing on one disc with excellent quality. I read long ago that one type of dual layer disc (+r/-r) was more compatible. Is this still an issue today?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey guys, I also though about using dual layer DVD instead of single. I could fit the entire thing on one disc with excellent quality. I read long ago that one type of dual layer disc (+r/-r) was more compatible. Is this still an issue today?
    Yes, it is still an issue. Verbatim DVD+R DL AZO or Data Life Plus is the most reliable. Don't buy Verbatiom DVD+R DL from their "Life Series".
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Hey guys, I also though about using dual layer DVD instead of single. I could fit the entire thing on one disc with excellent quality. I read long ago that one type of dual layer disc (+r/-r) was more compatible. Is this still an issue today?
    Yes, it is still an issue. Verbatim DVD+R DL AZO or Data Life Plus is the most reliable. Don't buy Verbatiom DVD+R DL from their "Life Series".
    Are these decent? I used to use a lot of Verbatim single layers and never had issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-DataLifePlus-Printable-50-Disc-98319/dp/B00DT6OWFG/ref...tim+dvd%2Br+dl
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Are these decent? I used to use a lot of Verbatim single layers and never had issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-DataLifePlus-Printable-50-Disc-98319/dp/B00DT6OWFG/ref...tim+dvd%2Br+dl
    Those are Verbatim DVD+R DL Data Life Plus. They are first class discs.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    MultiAVCHD is free, but is cranky and takes patience to learn.
    I am more than willing to put in the time and effort, but I seem to be doing something wrong. Or is another program needed to finish it off? I am trying to burn several seasons of a SD (1990s) TV show per disc. I used MultiAVCHD to properly [as far as I can tell] mux the first disc, and have the .m2ts files to show for it. But when I tried burning as a BD, it a.) told me I was missing a few folders and offered to add them for me, and b.) created a disc that just results in a black screen in my [standalone] BD player. Will using an additional program for authoring help, and can someone recommend one? I don't particularly care what the menu looks like as long as it works, although options are always nice. I'll be happy with the discs simply working at all.

I am new to Blu Ray creation but have done DVD for many years.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  27. I like BD-Rebuilder about the best - and it's free. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143716 - highly recommend using that thread for setting up as there are a couple of nuances for configuring its dependencies.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    If you are authoring a BD-R for general distribution, be aware that not all players can play a burned BDMV e.g. xbox one.
    Yeah I found that out the hard way - after I purchased it. I have thought about selling it, but not sure I'd make my money back. I guess Microsoft was worried about people pirating games and backing them up on BD-R discs? I was upset because I have a couple of vacation videos backed up onto BD-R which the Xbox One won't play. But if I rip them to .mp4 files and play from a USB flash drive, the files play fine.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Hard to say why Microsoft doesn't support BD-R. Could simply be a licensing fee decision a la Windows not shipping with Bluray support. But it is worth pointing out that the real impediment to widespread BD-R support is Hollywood. The big studios want to lock out indie studios. I expect we will see the same difficulties with authoring/playing our own UHD BD-Rs.
    Quote Quote