VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have bought a new laptop i5-5200U 8GB DDR3 L - 1000GB HDD. Windows10 OS 64bit was pre-installed. I want to have 3 or 4 partitions in the HDD so that I can store different types of files. I have attached the steps I tried, but don't dare to proceed. I would appreciate if I could get help from anyone in this regard. I need guidelines step by step as I am not well conversant with computer management. Thanks.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Partition.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	37262  

Quote Quote  
  2. I see no point separation to partitions
    Use simple FOLDERS to store different types of files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1) Right-Click on main partition (C) and choose "Shrink". Set the desired new size.
    2) Right-Click on new empty partition and create your new partitions and format them when finished.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ racer-x - Thank you. I followed your instructions and got all partitions as desired.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by roma_turok View Post
    I see no point separation to partitions
    Use simple FOLDERS to store different types of files
    The only upside to partitions would be to save the fastest part of the drive for one partition, and the slower inner for another partition. Not much else.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Adding partitions is more work in the initial setup./configuration process but for people who are anal-retentive about organization there is a big upside to partitioning. That said, I don't recommend it especially for those with less knowledge and even more so when it's the boot drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Crazy idea to partition such a small drive. And that recovery partition is probably toast now.

And what happens when you fill the partition with content. You will probably not be able to resize them again or atleast risk losing your precious material.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by shans View Post
    @ racer-x - Thank you. I followed your instructions and got all partitions as desired.
    Defrag partition earlier - shrink will work only on not used area and Windows is one big mess in terms of disk fragmentation.
    Also there is no sense IMHO to create more than 2 partition (system and data).

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Crazy idea to partition such a small drive. And that recovery partition is probably toast now.

And what happens when you fill the partition with content. You will probably not be able to resize them again or atleast risk losing your precious material.
    This is very smart as data are separated from system files - system can be easily restored and data keep untouched - personally i always do small system partition (32 -64GB) and second (rest of HDD) for data.

Side to this defragmentation of system partition used different approach than data.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Not crazy at all. I used to partition my spinning HDD's all the time so that when I inevitably wrecked Windows with all my tinkering it was a simple case of format/reinstall, and all my data was safe. The speed difference between the inner and outer parts of the drive were never significant enough to worry about in my experience. If people want to partiton rather than use folders to separate system files, data, or whatever they want, then I don't see what is 'anal retentive' about that.

Over the years I have accumulated a large enough collection of drives that I just stick a 2nd one in now for the data and leave the 1st drive (all my PC's now have SSD boot drives) as a single partition for Windows and programs.

Although, having said all that, I would have to agree that it is a bad idea for anyone to mess about with partitioning if they don't know what they are doing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For the record, which might sound contrary to my earlier post, I have partioned new EMPTY drives as described above to just have a small OS partition and the rest on the remainder.

But 'EMPTY' is the relevant word here. The OPs drive already had the OS installed. Probably no backup disk with the recovery partition hidden away. So I just think he is throwing dice and hopes that he does not need that recovery partition again. Unless, that is, it is protected from this cavalier approach. Two partitions on one drive. Yes. More ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by davejavu View Post
    Not crazy at all. I used to partition my spinning HDD's all the time so that when I inevitably wrecked Windows with all my tinkering it was a simple case of format/reinstall, and all my data was safe. The speed difference between the inner and outer parts of the drive were never significant enough to worry about in my experience. If people want to partiton rather than use folders to separate system files, data, or whatever they want, then I don't see what is 'anal retentive' about that.

Over the years I have accumulated a large enough collection of drives that I just stick a 2nd one in now for the data and leave the 1st drive (all my PC's now have SSD boot drives) as a single partition for Windows and programs.

Although, having said all that, I would have to agree that it is a bad idea for anyone to mess about with partitioning if they don't know what they are doing.
    Btw, I happen to be anal-retentive and I'm picky about organization. I wasn't picking on anyone. Basically describing myself. That said, I do understand partitioning and have made use of it countless times over the years especially when the the ability to add internal HDDs was more difficult in home PCs. I'm referring back to the PATA days. Partitioning still has value. I won't argue that at all. But, if a drive goes. It goes. These days I have no need to partition drives but if I were to do it I would avoid partitioning my boot drive. It just adds more to the mix that I don't feel is necessary. I'd instead use a boot drive with the OS installed and a separate physical HDD for programs, etc. But, that's obviously a personal choice. Basically what you noted in your second paragraph.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't anyone multi-boot around here? Partitioning is the best thing since sliced bread.

The OP wanted to know how and I explained. I don't care what the reasons are. Personally I've had a minimum of two partitions on every system for the last 20 years or so. You can make your own system restore images, who wants to use the default ones anyway.....
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Doesn't anyone multi-boot around here? Partitioning is the best thing since sliced bread.

The OP wanted to know how and I explained. I don't care what the reasons are. Personally I've had a minimum of two partitions on every system for the last 20 years or so. You can make your own system restore images, who wants to use the default ones anyway.....
    I don't do it much at the moment, just the occasional experiment with Linux, but was a frequent tinkerer in my early computer days hence the need for a quick and easy way to be able to wipe and restore the OS without losing data. I once had 3 OS's running on a multi-partitioned 3.5Gb drive.

Even now my 2nd internal drive is always split into at least 2 partitions, 1 for data and 1 for my program installation files (so I don't have to hunt for CD's or redownload them) and any portable applications that I don't want to put on the system drive.

These days, in addition to a 2nd internal hard drive, all my important data is also stored on external drives along with system images so I don't have to reinstall all my programs and reset all my preferences if I do manage to wreck Windows.
    Quote Quote