VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am using Windows 7 home edition, 32bit. I downloaded and installed both VirtualDub and K-Lite codec pack FULL. When I open VirtualDub and click on "Video" and then "Compression", the video codec information says:

(Uncompressed RGB/YcbCr)
    Cinepak Codec by Radius
    Intel IYUV codec
    Intel IYUV codec
    Microsoft RLE
    Microsoft Video 1

Why did K-lite not load? What am I doing wrong?
    Please help me!
    Quote Quote  
  2. 32 bit VirtualDub requires 32 bit VFW codecs. 64 bit VirtualDub requires 64 bit VFW codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Can you provide links to them where I can download?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would completely uninstall K-lite then install only the codecs you need. This site probably has all the codecs you need. Xvid codec, huffyuv, UT Video codec, x264vfw... Search in the software section.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Furthermore, many formats of codec packs are only provided as DirectShow decoders, to help video players. They are neither VfW nor encoders.

Since there are LAV filters available for generic DirectShow video players, codec packs are now superfluous if you just want to be able to play many formats. MPC-HC or MPC-BE use LAF filters directly, and VLC is based on their core, libavcodec/libavformats. And if you want to create modern video formats, use full featured encoders, not limited VfW wrappers. Forget the past.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can try to install ffshow for 32 bit. It should give you MJPEG, HuffYUV(FFmpeg variant), FFV1 and DV codecs.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  7. k-lite says encoders are in MEGA pack
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Still, no responsible person shall recommend installing them all (including a lot of ballast hardly ever used).

Which video formats shall be encoded at all? If you are interested in AVC (H.264) or even HEVC (H.265), don't insist in VirtualDub anymore. The VfW API as such is limited, and the dialogs provided by the authors of x26*vfw codecs are limited on top. The features of the AVI container are obsolete, compared to the requirements of modern video formats like AVC or HEVC; VirtualDub on its own (without using external multiplexers) can't create MKV or MP4.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by shekh View Post
    k-lite says encoders are in MEGA pack
    Nobody cares....klite sucks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It has always worked for me (for playback) without any problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since you have it installed, make sure you went to klite VFW encoders and have them enabled.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by shekh View Post
    k-lite says encoders are in MEGA pack
    Correct. Only the MEGA version contains VFW codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    But consider the risk of bloating your Windows system with junk if you install the whole MEGA pack without needing everything in it. Instead, it should always be better to first know what you really need, and then install only that from original authors or trustworthy archives.

Some codec packs out there are even notorious for changing system interna in a way that only re-installing Windows would fix possible side effects, because uninstalling the codec pack won't take these changes back...
    Quote Quote  
  14. K-Lite properly removes/reverts everything it installed/changed during uninstall. It doesn't do any weird changes, and certainly doesn't do anything that can't be reverted. It also installs much less stuff then you are assuming it does.

In fact, K-Lite has several features for fixing problems caused by other software. It can detect and fix issues with standard codecs from Windows. It can clean left-overs from badly uninstalled codecs. It can assist in removing codecs that are known to cause trouble.

You are just repeating the typical nonsense of other people who have barely any knowledge about the subject. The pack works good and is convenient for those who can't be bothered to install everything manually.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Regarding malicious packs, I referred to "some", not to K-Lite specifically; as you say, it may be one of the more considerate today. But some packs bending system interna and even shipping warez also existed one day...

Still, installing a whole codec pack without further thoughts will only stuff the system with ballast. Know what you need. Better ask before you may have to at least clean up, or even fix up. And if you want to encode to modern video formats, I would not recommend clutching at VfW codecs and the AVI container like a drowning man at a straw. VirtualDub v1.10+ supports defining external CLI encoders and multiplexers, and several AviSynth based converters will be even more flexible.
    Quote Quote  
  16. The good codec packs have gotten much smaller nowadays. Plus most codecs don't actually have any impact on a system, if you don't use/need them, beyond using a tiny amount of diskspace. The 'old' problem of multiple codecs (read: DS Filters) 'fighting' for handling a specific format has mostly disappeared thanks to high quality ones such as LAV Filters, and proper configuration tools.

VFW is an ancient technology dating from the early versions of Windows, and I agree that better alternatives are available. Nevertheless, they are still useful for basic tasks, and some NLEs also still use them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by klcp View Post
    K-Lite properly removes/reverts everything it installed/changed during uninstall. It doesn't do any weird changes, and certainly doesn't do anything that can't be reverted. It also installs much less stuff then you are assuming it does.

In fact, K-Lite has several features for fixing problems caused by other software. It can detect and fix issues with standard codecs from Windows. It can clean left-overs from badly uninstalled codecs. It can assist in removing codecs that are known to cause trouble.

You are just repeating the typical nonsense of other people who have barely any knowledge about the subject. The pack works good and is convenient for those who can't be bothered to install everything manually.
    Rather than just praise you product - people DO have memories of when codec packs were bad news and, even now, they are not really needed, wouldn't it be more constructive to the forum as a whole if you created a support thread (just like Mr_C_ has done for avstodvd)
    Quote Quote  
  18. I am purely stating facts and responding to what is being said in this topic. I am not trying to advertise anything, just trying to correct some misconceptions. Sure, packs are not really needed. But neither are cars, since there are other ways of transportation. Both exist for convenience. But recommending against buying a 2016 BMW simply because you once had a bad experience with a 1982 Toyota, is of course just nonsense. Give actual arguments, and recommend a bike instead because of for example carbon emissions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ But your post, the one I quoted, IS a commercial, deny it or not. And its not the first topic you made your statements.

I am not stating that they are not true as I have no opportunity or desire to check them out.

Simply repeating them in every topic you care to visit does not assist the OP.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I answered the OP before this whole discussion started. He already uses the software, so there is nothing to advertise. I merely correct people who are wrong and I will continue to do so as I please.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Yes you did. In post #12.

After that it is little more than an advertisement. Oops. Sorry. A correction for everyone else's ignorance.

By all means continue to do so as you please. That is your perrogative. And so will I.
    Quote Quote