VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I would like to play my old minidv tapes directly to the TV using HDMI. These are SD (480i) recorded on a Sony TRV30.
    One other equally important criteria is that I would like my AVR or TV to do all video processing (i/p, upconversion to hd, chroma upsampling, etc), and not by the camcorder.
    I did some research and narrowed it down to either the Sony HC-5/7/9 or Canon HV20/30/40 for this purpose, but I am still unclear which of these devices will output the signal with the least amount of processing. Is one better than the other for that ?
    I am open to other brands/models. I undersand I'd have to buy used.
    Please advise.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. This is an interesting question that I hadn't considered before. I recently did some tests on my HV40 and "verified" that the HDMI-out bypasses the in-cam 4:2:0 compression and outputs 4:2:2 video. Now that I think about it, it is possible that the image from the CMOS sensor is debayered to a 4:2:0 image and that the HDMI merely upsamples to 4:2:2. Although with that said, it does a much better job than I could using Avisynth. I would need to run another test to verify this. In the meantime, you can check out the Chroma II link in my signature.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you're playing back old low res tapes that have 480i stored on them. if they are still playable at all just about anything that outputs composite, component or hdmi will produce the same picture.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    sameself, HDMI v2.0 will have support for 4:2:0. I understand though there are probably no dv devices that have hdmi 2.0.

aedipuss, the problem is me. I cringe at the fact of converting an original digital signal to analog and then back to digital, and then applying the upconversion/upsampling/i-p etc. Yes tapes are still fine.

vaporeon800, those threads helped me narrow down to these camcorders I listed above but the quest for finding the path of the least processed (if not completely pure) output still remains.
    Quote Quote  
  5. HDMI v2.0 was released in 2013 long after the Canon HV40. My point however is that I don't know for certain that the image processor in the camera doesn't debayer to 4:2:0 followed by the video processor upsampling to 4:2:2 for HDMI output. I would need to test again to see if there is any difference in the picture captured via the HDMI-out from tape versus the sensor.
    Quote Quote