VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Any ideas on how to optimize the quality of the attached video so that it is not so dark? When I recorded the video there was plenty of light.
    Thanks!
    Bob
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. I just viewed it through PotPlayer and it doesn't look dark at all to my eyes. Can you post a screen capture or still of how it looks to you?

--dES
    "You can observe a lot by watching." - Yogi Bera
    http://www.areturningadultstudent.com
    Quote Quote  
  3. I second that. You've got a dark-skinned man in a black shirt against a black background, still the exposure looks very good. Viewing with MPC-HC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looks fine to me too. Viewing with MPC-HC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VLC looks fine, nothing really to fix.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So why did you cropped it. It seems to me as bad joke.
    question Coincidence ?
    If it isnt joke, then you have to see that picture is good.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, the cropping question is related to the same video series. I plug the videos into a quadrant to build videos like these to help with literacy in developing countries...
    http://www.hishandsreader.org/1jo-jos-arb-ajp.html

I just seems that there should be more highlights and detail for having that much light and resolution. I guess the white parts of the curtain on the sides knocked off the color balance. Is there a tool that works with source mp4 that can adjust the color/contrast/shadow?

Tks!
    Bob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use Shotcut for this. If it will works for you. For me it works well. But it has slow start.

is that any better ?

Bernix
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Bernix; 4th Jun 2016 at 07:58.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by BobAchgill View Post
    I guess the white parts of the curtain on the sides knocked off the color balance. Is there a tool that works with source mp4 that can adjust the color/contrast/shadow?
    Yes, most video editors can make adjustments, brighten shadows.

If you brighten up shadows, you won't reveal more details if they weren't there to begin with. It will just reveal ugly compression artifacts making everything look worse. Then you end up denoising and reducing details farther

Originally Posted by BobAchgill View Post
    I just seems that there should be more highlights and detail for having that much light and resolution.
    Yes there should be. But this is a re-encoded video . 3.2Mbps for 1920x1080 isn't a lot of bitrate . Fine details are discarded. What does the original look like ? What kind of camera did you use? Recording settings ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by BobAchgill View Post

I just seems that there should be more highlights and detail for having that much light and resolution. I guess the white parts of the curtain on the sides knocked off the color balance. Is there a tool that works with source mp4 that can adjust the color/contrast/shadow?
    There's nothing wrong with the color balance. There's nothing wrong with the amount of light you're using. Remember, lighting is about proportion more than quantity. You've just made some bad decisions by not using back or top lights to separate the subject from the background. You want more contrast, not more light.

[Attachment 37271 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by smrpix; 4th Jun 2016 at 12:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Have you considered shooting in front of a greenscreen & chromakeying?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    You can use Shotcut for this. If it will works for you. For me it works well. But it has slow start.

is that any better ?

Bernix
    Yeah, that is better.

Can you show me a screen shot of the filter setting you used?

Is it possible to batch correct 1700 clips using that preset?

Can I achieve the same using Video to Video? ... since I know how to batch using app.

Tks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	MakeLighter.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	37284
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I dont think, you can do a batch. Maybe throught FFmpeg ??? But I dont know if it has filters for Midtones and highlits...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	College.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	37285
    I wrote something. If you have a any question, I will try to answer.
    Quote Quote