VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello! Im looking for someone who would be willing to upscale (or give me a great script and walk me through) some Dragon Ball GT footage. I want to convert to attain a quality on par with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh9YQlkDz9A

Total footage I want converted is around 3 - 4 hours. I'd be willing to pyy around $50 (paaypal) if anyone is up for it!

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. If by 'script' you mean AviSynth scripts, then just use nnedi3_rpow2 to your final resolution, maybe something like:

nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="lanczosresize",fwid th=1280,fheight=720)

or whatever resizer you like. I, for one, wouldn't find $50 the least bit tempting for tying up my computer for doing all that work, even if creating the scripts was a breeze. Then you'd see the results and complain it wasn't oversaturated like the YouTube version, and complain about a ton of other things. The framerate is incorrect, the black levels crushed and the whites blown out. That video shouldn't be used as a model for anything at all except for bad filtering and encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    If by 'script' you mean AviSynth scripts, then just use nnedi3_rpow2 to your final resolution, maybe something like:

nnedi3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="lanczosresize",fwid th=1280,fheight=720)

or whatever resizer you like. I, for one, wouldn't find $50 the least bit tempting for tying up my computer for doing all that work, even if creating the scripts was a breeze. Then you'd see the results and complain it wasn't oversaturated like the YouTube version, and complain about a ton of other things. The framerate is incorrect, the black levels crushed and the whites blown out. That video shouldn't be used as a model for anything at all except for bad filtering and encoding.
    Yea I understand what you mean about the oversaturation. I am more refering to the lack of noise, sharpness of edges, and the deep blacks. I have tried messing with AVIsynth but I cant get the hang of it. Is there anywhere you can point me for a good tutorial or could you possibly show me a script I could copy and paste into AVIsynth for a starting block
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by focus187 View Post
    Is there anywhere you can point me for a good tutorial or could you possibly show me a script I could copy and paste into AVIsynth for a starting block
    Please post a sample from your source - 10 seconds with steady movement will be plenty. Then someone can have a look and make suggestions.

And start reading:

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Main_Page (especially the links in the "New to Avisynth - Start Here" section)

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech31/ (old but still very useful for anime fans)
    Quote Quote  
  5. With animation I usually try to do the upscaling stepwise with a little sharpening in between and after.

Code:
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=960, fheight=720)
    aWarpSharp(depth=5)
    Sharpen(0.2)
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=1440, fheight=1080)
    aWarpSharp(depth=5)
    Sharpen(0.2)
    The exact amount of sharpening will vary depending on how sharp the source video is. And since one is usually starting with over-compressed video (youtube? dvd?) there's usually a lot of cleanup that must be done before you get to this point. And you normally want to convert from rec.601 to rec.709 colors with ColorMatrix(mode="rec.601->rec.709").
    Last edited by jagabo; 30th May 2016 at 18:29.
    Quote Quote