VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've spent all day trying to convert an existing mp4 in Russian to a new mp4 with the addition of English subs. When that didn't work, I tried converting it to mkv, and when that didn't work, I tried converting it to avi.
    All day and it won't move past 0% on any of them, even after about five hours???

Help?

I'm using DVDFab9.

I don't do this, it's my first try and it sucks, it's driving me nuts trying to get it to work for six episodes, I don't really want to waste another day when I could be doing something better.

Could someone add the subs for me? Or at least tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    download Mkvtoolnix, then drag drop video and eng subtitles into input field. Press Start muxing and all should be done in few seconds.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm using DVDFab9
    Video Converter? Why?

As mentioned you can use MKVToolnix for re-muxing to a .mkv. Or - if your subtitles is .srt, .ttxt or idx/vobsub - you can use My MP4Box GUI to re-mux to .mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I had a go with MKVToolnix and at first it all looked good, but when I put them on my flashdrive and plugged it into the tv, the video played, but still no subs

Will have a go with MyMP4BoxGUI and see how that works.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Bernix View Post
    Hi,
    download Mkvtoolnix, then drag drop video and eng subtitles into input field. Press Start muxing and all should be done in few seconds.

Bernix
    Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    I'm using DVDFab9
    Video Converter? Why?

As mentioned you can use MKVToolnix for re-muxing to a .mkv. Or - if your subtitles is .srt, .ttxt or idx/vobsub - you can use My MP4Box GUI to re-mux to .mp4.
    Nope, followed the instructions with MyMP4BoxGUI and again, no subs *headdesk*
    What am I doing wrong

The original files are mp4 or mkv, but neither of those programs works on any of them?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Most often "smart" TV only supports subtitles in a separate file named as the video, ie:

Video.m4
    Video.srt
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Zahnadu View Post
    ...but when I put them on my flashdrive and plugged it into the tv, the video played, but still no subs

What am I doing wrong?
    Maybe you should read your television's manual to find out what subs it supports, if any, and in what format, and how it wants them (external or embedded). You could save yourself a lot of trouble and the people here from wasting their time trying to help. Maybe it doesn't accept them at all from the flash drive and you have to reencode to hardcode them into the video.

Or mention the brand and model of television and maybe someone will do your work for you.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by Zahnadu View Post
    ...but when I put them on my flashdrive and plugged it into the tv, the video played, but still no subs

What am I doing wrong?
    Maybe you should read your television's manual to find out what subs it supports, if any, and in what format, and how it wants them (external or embedded). You could save yourself a lot of trouble and the people here from wasting their time trying to help. Maybe it doesn't accept them at all from the flash drive and you have to reencode to hardcode them into the video.

Or mention the brand and model of television and maybe someone will do your work for you.
    No need to be rude
    I haven't done this before, so I have no idea what I'm doing? And I did try myself before asking for help but I'm not very tech minded.

I put programs and movies on my flashdrive and plug them into the tv all the time, no problems at all, some have subs (if they are foreign) but most don't. It just happens that this show is in russian so I need the subs.

I won't ask for any more help. Thank you to everyone who has given me suggestions already, I appreciate it.

If I could buy the show on dvd I would but it's out of print.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Check settings of your tv, if there isnt needed to turn on subtitles. Otherwise I dont know. On my tv is it menu -> option -> subtitles and there on/off and preferable language.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just hardcode the subs with Vidcoder, see https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/364372-How-to-easily-burn-in-hardcode-srt-subtitles...-with-VidCoder

You will lose some video quality...but you will GET subs.

Edit: I see. yOU have a dvd...then check if you can burnin/hardcode directly with dvdfab.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Zahnadu View Post
    I had a go with MKVToolnix and at first it all looked good, but when I put them on my flashdrive and plugged it into the tv, the video played, but still no subs
    Then your TV doesn't support embedded subs in MKV. Or maybe just not the type of subs you muxed into the MKV. TV's that don't support embedded subs are quite common. If your TV doesn't support external subs, as suggested by videoburger, you'll have to burn the subs into the picture.
    Last edited by jagabo; 30th May 2016 at 09:46.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Zahnadu

Perhaps you could upload a 10 seconds sample of your MP4 and the corresponding 10 second English subs so that we may be able to provide further help.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If we can believe her last post, Zahnadu has left this forum because she didn't like one of the replies to her thread. No point in trying to help someone who is gone and not coming back.
    Quote Quote