VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    I'm struggling with trying to find out where to start troubleshooting a problem I'm having.

I have issues with DVD playback, where every few seconds there is a 'stutter' like a frame is inserted or removed in a fashion. It's every few seconds, it's very easy to notice so that if you pay attention at all it's very annoying.

I recall researching this before on a different system; I believe it is a pulldown issue? If I recall correctly at that time, it was at a time when graphics cards didn't handle this too well. Upgraded graphics cards fixed the problem. Long story, but I shelfed the whole HTPC thing for many years since then.

I built a new HTPC last year, but finally getting around to really using it:
    - Intel NUC5i7RYH with an Intel Iris Graphics 6100 graphics card
    - Windows 10
    - Using PowerDVD 15
    - - There was a setting upon startup the first time where PowerDVD asked to automatically match the refresh rate. I chose "Yes".... can NOT find where to turn this off to troubleshoot if this is an issue; don't know if it is
    - DVDs are ripped to folder (via AnyDVD HD)
    - Playing directly off an M.2 SSD
    - Using a Samsung UN75F6400AF TV as the monitor

Over a few nights, I've poked into every setting I can find (in PowerDVD, the Intel Graphics settings, Windows graphics settings). Should be latest drivers installed.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried other other players just too see how it works? VLC Media Player, MPCHC, Potplayer etc.

And is it just DVDs that stutters?

And what refresh rate are you using? 60hz? 48hz? etc. Try different under your graphics cards settings.

You can also use reclock and/or SmoothVideo Project to get try get smoother playback.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's hard to guess. Try another media player such as MPC-HC. There's a portable version you can just unzip and run. Use the File/OpenDVD menu to select a folder containing a ripped DVD.

If you haven't already, you can try putting the TV into PC mode. The PC needs to be connected via the HDMI input marked DVI or PC, and when it's connected I think you need to name the connection "DVI PC" or choose "DVI PC" from the existing list of names (via the Tools menu after using the "Source" button on the remote) and the PC refresh rate probably needs to be 60Hz at 1920x1080. With that done and if the stars line up, the TV will go into PC mode, and most of the picture enhancing stuff is disabled. It might help determine if it's something the TV is doing. You can tell if the TV is in PC mode as most of the picture modes.... Standard, Movie, Dynamic etc will disappear and you'll probably only be left with Standard and Entertain.

If it's happening every few seconds it's probably not pulldown. If the TV is refreshing at 60Hz and the pulldown is being reversed for a 24fps output, you end up with a sort of "progressive pulldown" where every second frame displays for three screen refreshes instead of two. Motion mightn't look perfectly smooth but it doesn't "stutter" as you described.
    Quote Quote