VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    What Up with this ?

================================================== ======================================

"YouTube
    GET 3 MONTHS OF YOUTUBE RED FOR
    99¢
    TRY IT NOW

Watermelon, sunburns, strawberry ice pops—red is the color of summer.

Add YouTube Red to the mix for the ultimate escape. For a limited time, we’re offering you 3 months of YouTube Red for 99¢*. It makes the music and videos you love on YouTube even better, free of interruptions and with background play, access to exclusive shows, and the freedom to watch offline.

Don’t wait, summer is coming!

"*Offer Restrictions: This intro offer ends on 6/17/2016. After the first 3 months, you’ll be automatically charged $9.99 per month. If YouTube Red isn’t right for you and you cancel during the introductory 3-month period, you’ll keep your membership benefits until the end of this period but you won’t be charged again. This offer isn’t available for purchase on the YouTube iOS app, or for users who have previously had a free trial with YouTube Red or Google Play Music."

================================================== ========================================

Evidently for smartphone users. I don't like watching video on a very small screen, and I don't generally approve of automatic, revolving charges -- either of which would lead me to go thumbs down on this, special offer or not. My experience of YT has been free of adverts or "interruptions", so far. Wasn't aware that was an issue. And I can download something from YT for playback or later review offline, by means of one or another scripts or browser add-ons -- although often the max resolution for that is capped. Can't see why this new service might be of interest.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's YouTube ' new pay service that let's
    users watch videos without advertising or interruptions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I just deleted that redtube email thinking it was spam.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Evidently for smartphone users.
    I don't think so. I don't own a smartphone and received the exact same email yesterday (if I remember correctly). I believe the service is gaining some traction among frequent users of YouTube.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post
    Evidently for smartphone users.
    I don't think so. I don't own a smartphone and received the exact same email yesterday (if I remember correctly). I believe the service is gaining some traction among frequent users of YouTube.
    There are a bunch of different YT gateways: the apps on many BR players, from streaming boxes like WD or Rolu; DirecTV had a pretty good one, until they discontinued it, for pretty transparent reasons. (Lame excuse about non-updated APIs, but I think they just considered it distracting "competition.") I mainly access YT from a computer. On none of these do I recall running into commercials, however. So, I'm not too clear on what the value added from some "premium" YT might be . . . .
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote