VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Thank You for reading my post.

I will use Handbrake with coustom settings, and will work with audio sources AC3 5.1ch / DTS 2.0ch / DTS-HD & DTS-HD MA 5.1ch - 6.1ch
    In handbrake under audio you have four options, source / codec / bitrate / mixdown. I know what to check on all audio sources above.

But some BluRay titles have these two audio tracks, LPCM 5.1 and TrueHD 5.1. Can i encode these with Handbrake?

If yes please tell me what to check in the four options under audio in Handbrake. As for AC3 5.1ch i check AC3 Passthru.
    If these audio tracks have AC3 embedded i use AC3 Passthru? Correct me if i`m wrong, thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Blurays will often include duplicate audio streams using different codecs to provide better compatibility with different Bluray players. So in such cases you only really need to re-encode one of the streams. Preferably one of the lossless tracks which would be LPCM, TrueHD, and DTS-HD MA, and these 3 would provide the best audio source should you wish to re-encode them to something like AAC or something else.

If you want an exact copy of the AC3 audio then AC3 Passthru would do the job.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thank you.
    When i use AC3 passthru the options bitrate and mixdown are removed. but that is normal i assume?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, "passthru" = leave things alone. A mixdown doesn't leave things alone (it is combining channels), and anything other than the original data at the original bitrate doesn't leave things alone.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank You.

Just to confirm.
    When source audio is LPCM 5.1 and TrueHD 5.1 i check AC3 Passthru in Handbrake, then i get an AC3 5.1ch audio stream in my mkv encoded file?

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No. Ac3 passthru is for ac3 sources only. Lpcm could pass through to lpcm, or be re-encoded to ac3 (with quality loss). Truehd could have ac3 core extracted (with quality loss), or be re-encoded to ac3 (with quality loss). Not all necessarily available in this app.

You can only pass through (leave alone) what you started with. Anything else is not "passing through", but is modified.

Scott
    Quote Quote