VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Thank You for reading my post.

I have downloaded the latest Version and older ones, is the latest Version the one i should use?

Newbie and will encode my blurays to 720p mkv using Handbrake, but if an earlier Version is better.

Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would use the latest one, unless you need AAC audio encoding as they had to drop that. They did add the latest version of the H.265 encoder.
    I use VidCoder instead. It's a front end for Handbrake and a bit easier to use, IMO.

You do need a decryption program for commercial discs as Handbrake and VidCoder can't do that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Only fdk_AAC was dropped from Handbrake.

AAC (libav):
    HandBrake's default audio codec is AAC which is widely supported by most hardware and software players.
    This encoder replaces libfaac.

AAC / HE-AAC (fdk_aac):
    Please be aware that this encoder was removed in 0.10.5 due to a license issue.

AAC (CoreAudio?):
    Mac OS X users have the option to use Apple's Core Audio AAC encoder.
    It's known to be much better quality and is the default option for Mac users.

HE-AAC (Core Audio)
    High Efficiency AAC encoder. This encoder is optimized for low-bitrate applications which may be useful for streaming.
    Available on OS X only.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I'm using the older version because the Fraunhofer (FDK) AAC encoder is superior to the libav encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  5. What Version is that?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote