VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This is going to be interesting: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/magix-aquires-sonys-video-editing-music-software-today-...78526662626953

I wonder whether both products will continue in the consumer market... and whether Sony Vegas will follow Adobe Premiere, and go to a subscription model?

There's certainly likely to be some changes, I'm guessing....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It sure looks like Sony is out of the pay-once and consumer software businesses entirely, including Vegas Pro.

There was already speculation that Sony's software development efforts would be focused on its subscription-based Catalyst suite from now on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oh crap there goes vegas pro into shitsville. unbelievable. and sony is keeping the catalyst edit/prepare crap???? has anyone else tried that garbage?

official notice from sony today in my email.

Sony Creative Software Inc. ("SCS") is pleased to announce that MAGIX Software GmbH (“MAGIX”) has purchased substantially all of the software products and other assets of SCS (“SCS Assets”). As part of this sale, and in accordance with our Privacy Policy, MAGIX will acquire our customer database, including your personally identifiable information, previously collected through our website or otherwise (“Customer Database”). This information was included in the sale to assist MAGIX in providing you with products and services, including those that are no longer offered by SCS.

freaking lovely, i've been using vegas pro since version 6
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still using Vegas Pro 9 (no reason to upgrade for what I use it for) and it looks like I probably won't bother in the future now.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A couple of links for further info

Update on the sale of Sony Vegas to Magix (Further update: Sony's own statement).
    Note that the Sony statement is not the email notice referred to above.

Greetings, From the Vegas Team
    Last edited by vkmast; 27th May 2016 at 06:19.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Magix mostly makes low-end cheap software.

They do make Video Pro X6 for about $350 (never seen it before today). So they'll probably gut Vegas for their other products.

So there goes Vegas ... not that I ever liked it anyway. (Premiere user since the 90s.)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sony has got out of the Mobile Phone,Laptop,A/V Software Business. TVs and Cameras are Next maybe.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm thinking they'll stick with Pro/Broadcast regardless, at least for the next decade.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hate to see Vegas go. I've been using it since v7 and it's a very stable and good NLE. I'm not sweating it as I still have v10 and that should do me for the next 10 years or so. Actually I do about 95% of my video editing using free/open source s/w, so no big deal yet.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As their "intent is to have a release of Vegas available in the fall of this year, and continue developing and supporting Vegas into the future," I guess we shall see then, if Vegas goes and where.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Maybe just some manager replacements are going to happen but the rest would stay in those offices - Middleton, Wisconsin, USA, perhaps something similar that happened when Sony purchased it years back.
    Kind of Deja-Vu for them?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I already hinted to this...

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/378066-Vegas-EOL

...not that I care. BMD put every NLE on notice when they offered Resolve for free.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I'm thinking they'll stick with Pro/Broadcast regardless, at least for the next decade.
    Magix always went for the $99 crowd. Methinks theyre gonna milk it for a while too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    oh crap there goes vegas pro into shitsville. unbelievable. and sony is keeping the catalyst edit/prepare crap???? has anyone else tried that garbage?...
    I know. None of Sony's Audio solutions support MiDi composing. AFAIK
    Quote Quote  
  15. Looks like Version 14 of Vegas Pro is now with us: http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-pro/...it seems the rest of the Vegas range are still v.13 at the moment.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    Looks like Version 14 of Vegas Pro is now with us: http://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-pro/...it seems the rest of the Vegas range are still v.13 at the moment.....
    This has got to be the absolute worst time to upgrade, unless there's a discount.

Disclosure: I don't like Magix because the GUI is a clickmap, which is what Adobe does, and that's not a native Windows application, LIKE Vegas.
    Last edited by budwzr; 20th Sep 2016 at 13:32.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Hate to see Vegas go. I've been using it since v7 and it's a very stable and good NLE. I'm not sweating it as I still have v10 and that should do me for the next 10 years or so. Actually I do about 95% of my video editing using free/open source s/w, so no big deal yet.
    Yeah, I'm on V12, and I still haven't fully mastered Vegas Pro.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for the verbosity on an old thread, but I am a long time fan of Sony Vegas.
    Quote Quote