VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I want to demux the audio from avi files, so that the files are lossless. I tried both Yamb and Ffmpeg. Both produce files less than 1 MB (for a video of 80 MB), which are unplayable through VLC. I tried avidemux, and it says it can't export in copy mode.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't really use avidemux, but have you tried to go to Audio in top menu bar? First go to 'Select track' to check the audio format (or use MediaInfo) and if the right track is checked and then go to 'Save audio', give it a name with ending consistent with the format, choose directory and OK.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by AllisOne View Post
    I don't really use avidemux, but have you tried to go to Audio in top menu bar? First go to 'Select track' to check the audio format (or use MediaInfo) and if the right track is checked and then go to 'Save audio', give it a name with ending consistent with the format, choose directory and OK.
    I don't see an option for "Select Track." I see one for Save Audio, and when I clicked on it, that's when it said, "Cannot save the audio in copy mode."
    Quote Quote  
  4. What version of avidemux are you using? What is MediaInfo saying about audio and video in your avi?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AllisOne.

You really should not suggest using a program that you do not use. It might be able to do that but you still end up with a video file not an audio file.

To the OP.

Use Audacity for this. Load your video and then go to file/Export Audio. Select the format you want. Name the file and 'save'
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    AllisOne.

You really should not suggest using a program that you do not use. It might be able to do that but you still end up with a video file not an audio file.

To the OP.

Use Audacity for this. Load your video and then go to file/Export Audio. Select the format you want. Name the file and 'save'
    OK, Audacity then. But before my suggestion, I tried Avidemux and it worked. It exported mp3 audio from my avi file. Checked with MediaInfo.
    Quote Quote  
  7. And how did you use ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -i MyVideo.avi -c copy out.mka

? (or out.mp3 or out.ac3 ... whichever MediaInfo tells you)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Try VirtualDubMod and the "Streams/Streams" list menu, then click "Demux".

For VirtualDub it's File/Export raw audio.

I think the problem with ffmpeg is for raw streams you have to know the type of audio you're demuxing because you have to specify the extension. For example if you used a command line like this for an AVI containing MP3 audio:

ffmpeg.exe -i "E:\video.avi" -y -threads 1 -vn -acodec copy "E:\output.ac3"

You'd end up with a file called output.ac3 that's actually an MP3. Changing the extension to mp3 should fix playback problems, but you still need to know what type of audio it is.
    If you don't need raw streams, you could mux the audio into another container such as MP4. I'm pretty sure it'll hold all the types of audio commonly found in AVIs. Or use MKA.

ffmpeg.exe -i "E:\video.avi" -y -threads 1 -vn -acodec copy "E:\output.mp4"

If I had a lot of extracting to do and I wanted raw audio, I'd probably go with a two step process. First by creating an AnotherGUI preset for ffmpeg that looks something like this (for batch remuxing the audio to an mka container regardless of the audio type or input container).

-i "<SourceFileName>" -y -threads 1 -vn -acodec copy "<OutputPath><OutputFileName>.mka"

Then with all the audio in MKV or MKA containers I'd use MKVCleaver to batch extract the raw streams.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 24th May 2016 at 07:33.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I read the OP's requirement correctly he wants lossless audio from what could be a lossy source. A simple 'copy' will not fit that bill.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by AllisOne View Post
    What version of avidemux are you using? What is MediaInfo saying about audio and video in your avi?
    The version is 2.5.2 of Ubuntu.

MediaInfo says, "Container and general information: AVI: 82.0MiB, 21s 433ms. 1 video stream: JPEG. 1 audio stream: PCM."

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    AllisOne.

To the OP.

When I click Open, Audacity says, "Audacity recognized the type of the file...Importers supposedly supporting such files are: FFmpeg compatible files, but none of them understood this file format."

It's version 1.3.12-beta of Ubuntu.

Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    And how did you use ffmpeg:

ffmpeg -i MyVideo.avi -c copy out.mka

? (or out.mp3 or out.ac3 ... whichever MediaInfo tells you)
    Here's the command and output: http://pastebin.com/n0E2e07P

Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Try VirtualDubMod and the "Streams/Streams" list menu, then click "Demux".

For VirtualDub it's File/Export raw audio.

I think the problem with ffmpeg is for raw streams you have to know the type of audio you're demuxing because you have to specify the extension. For example if you used a command line like this for an AVI containing MP3 audio:

ffmpeg.exe -i "E:\video.avi" -y -threads 1 -vn -acodec copy "E:\output.ac3"

You'd end up with a file called output.ac3 that's actually an MP3. Changing the extension to mp3 should fix playback problems, but you still need to know what type of audio it is.
    If you don't need raw streams, you could mux the audio into another container such as MP4. I'm pretty sure it'll hold all the types of audio commonly found in AVIs. Or use MKA.

ffmpeg.exe -i "E:\video.avi" -y -threads 1 -vn -acodec copy "E:\output.mp4"

If I had a lot of extracting to do and I wanted raw audio, I'd probably go with a two step process. First by creating an AnotherGUI preset for ffmpeg that looks something like this (for batch remuxing the audio to an mka container regardless of the audio type or input container).

-i "<SourceFileName>" -y -threads 1 -vn -acodec copy "<OutputPath><OutputFileName>.mka"

Then with all the audio in MKV or MKA containers I'd use MKVCleaver to batch extract the raw streams.
    How can I input the type of audio into FFmpeg? MediaInfo says the avi's audio type is PCM.

If I read the OP's requirement correctly he wants lossless audio from what could be a lossy source. A simple 'copy' will not fit that bill.
    I just want the audio from the avi, but without the video. I don't want to lose audio quality from converting.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Use

ffmpeg -i DSCN5008.AVI -c copy Out.wav

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WAV
    That worked. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AllisOne.

To the OP.

How do you load a video into Audacity? I have been using it for years and never thought you could use it for video files. I tried it, and it will not accept an AVI file. I felt silly even trying. What exactly did you mean?
    Quote Quote