VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So after learning the really basics and understanding how complex it can become i am here

i want you guys to give me some tips on how to properly upscale some anime
    with emphasis on darkening lines and making it more colorful (some of the have kinda faded colors)

i included few examples at the bottom

i did a lot of trial and error and came up with variations of this filter

v = LWLibavVideoSource("d:\4.mp4", fpsnum=30000, fpsden=1001, format="YUV420P8")
    a = LWLibavAudioSource("d:\4.mp4")
    AudioDub(a,v)
    ConvertToYV12()
    ColorMatrix(mode="Rec.601->Rec.709")
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=1280, fheight=720)
    ColorYUV(cont_u=15, cont_v=20)
    FastLineDarkenMod()
    Toon(strength=0.6)
    dehalo_alpha(rx=2, ry=2.4)
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=1280, fheight=720)
    aWarpSharp(depth=6.0)
    sharpen(0.30)

how do i know i am not adding to much line darkening ? or over sharpening ? or both?

is there a specific filter for very thin lines?
    i also noticed that with some of "dehalo_alpha" settings i can get a niced looking "butter" effect that blurs every thing a little bit and it makes the colors look nicer

any way any advice? what script you would use ? teach me , i am new at this
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: mp4 1.mp4 (2.57 MB, 156 views)
    • File Type: mp4 2.mp4 (6.51 MB, 163 views)
    • File Type: mp4 3.mp4 (3.15 MB, 155 views)
    Last edited by zanzar; 23rd May 2016 at 18:07.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why are you scaling twice to the same size with nnedi3_rpow2()? And why are you increasing the saturate of U and V by different amounts? Matching some other video? I generally try to do all the filtering before scaling. And what are the three videos supposed to be showing? 1.mp4 has pretty heavy oversharpening halos. 2 and 3 look acceptable. 1 and 3 have A/V sync problems. But it's hard to judge by looking at only the filtered clips. You should upload original source clips too.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Why are you scaling twice to the same size with nnedi3_rpow2()? And why are you increasing the saturate of U and V by different amounts? Matching some other video? I generally try to do all the filtering before scaling. And what are the three videos supposed to be showing? 1.mp4 has pretty heavy oversharpening halos. 2 and 3 look acceptable. 1 and 3 have A/V sync problems. But it's hard to judge by looking at only the filtered clips. You should upload original source clips too.
    hmm thats the thing this is the source lol
    i know they have sync problems its just the vlc recorder thing dont mind that .
    some of the original version of 2/3 are 480p and almost look the same
    they are "before" i didnt do the after because i am looking for advice before i start
    and i am upscaling twice with nnedi3 because it looks like it give a better result ... (see i know nothing)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Why are you scaling twice to the same size with nnedi3_rpow2()? And why are you increasing the saturate of U and V by different amounts? Matching some other video? I generally try to do all the filtering before scaling. And what are the three videos supposed to be showing? 1.mp4 has pretty heavy oversharpening halos. 2 and 3 look acceptable. 1 and 3 have A/V sync problems. But it's hard to judge by looking at only the filtered clips. You should upload original source clips too.
    so any advice ? how would you do it ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I already told you how I would do it. I would do bulk of the filtering before upscaling. So remove the first call to nnedi3_rpow2. You will probably have to adjust the parameters of the filters between the call needi3_rpow2 calls.

Clips 2 and 3 are already 1280x720 so there's no reason to upscale them.
    Quote Quote