VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to Rip a DVD that is 4hrs. & 39min. (7.84 GB) of home videos to .mp4 for cloud storage. I'm using Vidcoder and I can only get about 2 hours of the footage to .mp4 format. The folder is Video_TS & contains about 8 .VOB data files (along with a few others for index etc.) that I'm pulling from the DVD. How can I get the entire DVD ripped to .mp4? Thanks for your help in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    If it didn't work as a direct import of the DVD, I might use Vob2Mpeg to turn the DVD into one mpeg file. Once this is done, check to make sure that all the content is included in this mpeg file using a media player like VLC or Media Player Classic Home Cinema. There will be no visual quality deterioration in this step.

Then import the mpeg file into Vidcoder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    By chance is your hard drive formatted as FAT32 (you can check by right clicking on the drive and view Properties) as it seems you may be hitting the 4GB FAT32 file limit.

Also, if you're uploading to the Cloud, why bother reducing the file size (and quality)? Cloud storage is cheap.

Finally, for reference, a DVD RIP is an exact bit or bit copy of the original data on the disc. . What you're looking to do is RIP and encode to another format (in this case .mp4).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Kerry56 -- I tried installing VOB2MPG 3.2.200 but I am getting errors. I have Windows10. Any advice on making that setup work on my computer? Also, I am trying to keep the highest quality possible when pulling from the DVD. The amount of space it takes is of no concern to me, but I want to get it into .mp4 format.

lingyi -- my computer is formatted as NTFS. I have worked with files over 12GB, so I know that is not an issue.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    If you are having problems with Vob2Mpeg, try an alternate program that works in a similar manner called DVDVob2Mpg. It is newer and shouldn't have issues in Windows 10. The main point of using either is just to get an MPEG2 file. But again, check to make sure all the movie is included, since that was the issue when importing straight from the DVD.

If you don't mind larger sized files, and you absolutely need it in H264 MP4 format, I'd set VidCoder to use the High Profile, 4.1 level, Constant Quality setting of 16 to 18, and use Constant Framerate.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Kerry56! DVD Vob2MPG works very well for to combine my .VOB files and get them to .MPG. I really appreciate your help
    Quote Quote