VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hi folks, I am stuck.

Converting via Winff (i.e ffmepg) got me two versions I have no idea
    on what basis they are made (params see appendix).

That would not bother me but see attach (MediaInfo):

If they are Advanced Video Codec (AVC) e.g. my Pioneer Car Stereo refuses to play it
    "unplayable file" whereas if they are MPEG-4 Visual it does.

Videolan vlc plays both.

AVC is on average half the size of MPEG-4 Visual which does not matter for me.

MPEG-4 Visual uses a constant bitrate AVC a variable.

Tried several ffmpegs and libfaacs including the latest aac -strict experimental but I have not been
    able to manage having files with MPEG-4 Visual codec again.

How to force MPEG-4 Visual (left side of attach) as default?

Appendix
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    <params>-crf 25.0 -vcodec libx264 -acodec libfaac -ar 48000 -ac 2 -b:a 96k -coder 1 -flags +loop -cmp +chroma -partitions +parti4x4+partp8x8+partb8x8 -me_method hex -subq 6 -me_range 16 -g 250 -keyint_min 25 -sc_threshold 40 -i_qfactor 0.71 -b_strategy 1 -qcomp 0.6 -qmin 0 -qmax 69 -qdiff 4 -bf 3 -refs 5 -direct-pred 3 -trellis 1 -wpredp 2 -rc_lookahead 50 -threads 0</params>

<params>-crf 25.0 -vcodec libx264 -acodec aac -strict experimental -ar 48000 -ac 2 -b:a 96k -vf scale=400:320 -coder 1 -flags +loop -cmp +chroma -partitions +parti4x4+partp8x8+partb8x8 -me_method hex -subq 6 -me_range 16 -g 250 -keyint_min 25 -sc_threshold 40 -i_qfactor 0.71 -b_strategy 1 -qcomp 0.6 -qmin 0 -qmax 69 -qdiff 4 -bf 3 -refs 8 -direct-pred 3 -trellis 2 -wpredp 2 -rc_lookahead 60 -threads 0</params>
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	visual_vs_avc.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	37065  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    in presettings second dropdown menu choose xvid fullscreen. But you will have possibly avi extension. Then you can remux it in mkvtoolnix or to mp4 in mp4boxgui

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanx,
    but I do not need another programs or extensions because I've got hundreds of working mp4-visuals made
    with winff already. I just want to find out why all of the sudden avc is used which is stopping me now.

Damian
    Quote Quote  
  4. MPEG4 Visual = h263 video, encoded by Xvid, DivX, or a similar mpeg4 encoder.

AVC = Advanced Video Codec = h264. It's still mpeg4 but a newer codec.

For the record, HEVC is next. High Efficiency Video Codec = h265.

You've specified AVC in the command line, or WinFF has, with "-vcodec libx264". It's nothing to do with the AAC audio. Are you using a different WinFF preset?

I haven't updated WinFF for a while as I don't use it much but the mpeg4 presets appear to be AVC. There's Xvid presets in the AVI category. If you're not fond of AVI you can copy one and change the extension to MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  5. cheers hello_hello,

Your preset/libx264 hints sparked an idea, haven't changed or replaced presets.xml though..
    So I searched for a "doppelgaenger"

Using WinFF 1.42 (the latest including libfaac) since a few years
    I had to find found out that WinFF is not using the preset.xml in
    the directory it is installed to.

Once you (re)install it (which I did) it creates a default version in
    C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Winff as well as a cfg.file
    and reads from it. Creepy.

Why it used my old preset prior to this I can't tell.

However for an MPEG4-Visual/Simple@L1 output the codec has to be set to mpeg4 and NOT libx264

e.g.

<params>-f mp4 -vcodec mpeg4 -b:v 320k -r 24 -vf scale=400:320 -aspect 16:9 -mbd rd -flags +mv4+aic -trellis 2 -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -g 300 -pass 1 -acodec libfaac -ar 48000 -ac 2 -b:a 96k</params>
    Quote Quote