VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Trying to convert dvd video (source unknown) to avi or mp4. Seems to be interlaced with blends. Tried deinterlacing with srestore(23.976), but there's slight judder (an extra frame every couple seconds). Also tried removing blends by deinterlacing with srestore(29.97) and Tdecimate, but same judder. Just TFM/Tdecimate wont remove the blends.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. frate=23.5 looks about right.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My god, how did you figure that out? I jumped thru the rest of the video with that, seems to play fine.

Well anyway, needless to say, many thanks!! Would still love to know how you figured it since I wasted time on it, and you got it pretty quickly.
    Last edited by spiritgumm; 19th May 2016 at 19:25.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    probably experience, he looked at it , and that 'feeling' what he was viewing should be 23.5

like a race car driver listening to an engine
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Probably trial and error since this is a non-standard frame rate. Amateur transfers of silent films are often transferred at non-standard speeds, so I tried a few different ones here, but got discouraged. I was just surprised he hit on it so quickly.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I counted the number of repeat frames over a period of video then calculated what frame rate should be. For example, if you have 10 repeats over 100 frames you need to reduce the rate by 10 percent. But the repeats in this video aren't at fixed intervals so the method may be a little off. I came up with 23.35. When I tried that rate it was too low -- it removed a few unique frames. So I guessed at a higher rate and picked 23.5. I was going to use successive approximations but 23.5 worked.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you mean before or after decimation? I had difficulty trying to count repeat frames before decimation because of the irregular intervals, which is why I only tried to treat the errant dupes after decimation. I got an extra frame after 52 frames, then an extra after 45 frames, etc. So I guess that would be aprox. 98% which would yield approx. 23.5, but I would never have used that equation to figure out the correct FPS.
    Anyway, bravo for sticking thru with it, jagabo! They dont pay you enough to do this stuff.
    Last edited by spiritgumm; 21st May 2016 at 10:55.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I counted dups after the decimation to 25 fps by SRrestore. I counted something like 13 dups in 225 frames -- I forget the exact numbers. But using those numbers:

Code:
    25 fps * (225-13) / 225 = 23.55 fps
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st May 2016 at 12:13.
    Quote Quote