VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Recently, when 'ripping' dvds, (XP Pro 64 sp2, 8 g ram, no internet connection, 500 g 'c:\', <- 200 g free, rip iso's to 500 g drv, <- 260 g free), I get error message from 'DVDShrink' that 'unable to perform out of memory' <-words to this effect. Also, 'Shrink' rips movie only 5 -10% of the time, rip full with anydvd, latest one. I added another drive (ends up D:\ drive), rip with anydvd to this one & 'shrink from here to the 2nd 500 g drive = works fine. What gives?? Nothing in task manager shows huge memory usage other than 'shrink'. (<- 20 to 50 % mem use.) 8 gigs shows w/'my computer/properties.

Another issue: I got a 3 tera drive & with another (diff, also xp p 64 bit) computer I got 2 t + 1 t (<approx) partitions, ok. moved it to the above comp & it saw only the +- 1 t partition. Now, I cannot even 'see' the whole 3 t of memory, period. Not even with my laptop (W-7 64 bit Toshiba). What is going on here? (All WD drives)

-c-
    Last edited by cornemuse; 17th May 2016 at 10:11. Reason: feng shui
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  2. DVDShrink hasn't been updated in what, 10 years plus? The disc that made Shrink throw that error has a form of protection it can't cope with. I forget the specifics, something to do with bogus titlesets that massively inflate the apparent size of the disc. Something like that.

So use a different decrypter for that disc.

As to your 3 TB drive, were you able to see the entire 3 TBs before you re-partitioned? AFAIK, external hard drives over 2 TB are going to be AFD and partitioned as GPT, the HD manufacturer's enclosure emulating 512k sectors and MBR partitioning, so legacy systems can use them.

[EDIT] Oh, you didn't say it was external. Perhaps a limitation of your hardware or XP Pro 64 bit? How did you perform the partitioning?

One thing is certain: You should partition again with your Win7 laptop in an external enclosure if you have one, or internally in another system with Win7 or later. Otherwise the drive, which is almost certainly an Advanced Format Drive, will be misaligned by formatting/partitioning with XP. Double check it's properly formatted/aligned afterwards with something like AS_SSD.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 17th May 2016 at 22:19.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A 3 TB HDD should be formatted using GPT, rather than MBR. Did you do that? (Sorry, I didn't see fritzi96's reply before I wrote that.)

If you follow his advice, be sure the external enclosure supports using 3TB drive. Some old ones only support up to 2TB drives.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th May 2016 at 23:17.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    DVDShrink hasn't been updated in what, 10 years plus? The disc that made Shrink throw that error has a form of protection it can't cope with. I forget the specifics, something to do with bogus titlesets that massively inflate the apparent size of the disc. Something like that.
    The message also appears when the HDD can't keep up with the speed of the decryption, especially external HDDs. Even an internal drive will cause the error is it's simultaneously used for other activity (e.g encoding, copying, etc) at the same time. It's nothing to do with system RAM. - [Edit: Thinking it over, I shouldn't be so abosulte in saying it's not definitely not related to system RAM issues. It's a possibility, but in my expereince, as long as I stop another disk intensive operartion, the error doesn't come back.]
    Last edited by lingyi; 17th May 2016 at 23:42.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All these drives connected via sata & 'drive trays' One actually via 'e-sata'. The Toshiba laptop (W-7) has e-sata connector on it. Have not tried a usb connection, yet anyways. Formatted the 3T drv GPT, had 2 partitions, one=2T one=1T, at first. If I can get a 2T partition I can see/use, I will be happy. Only reason I bought it, Frys, on sale, $69.00, been sitting there for 6 months, thought I'd use it. First hdd bigger than 1 T IO ever bought (and last, <- lose a lot of data when one drive dies)

Shrink used to work fine like 80-90% of the time with older films, now, not even older films (like 5 yrs old, scratches & all!) work, they get the error message too.

-c-

(edit: I prefer iso images, always for movie video. My media players work fine with them, both 'movie only' and with 'menus'. What newer ripper ya'll recommend? 'Shrink still works for me, usually takes 1-2 minutes from 'files' on hdd to get movie.)
    Last edited by cornemuse; 18th May 2016 at 11:12. Reason: feng shui
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    shrink is good tool, but its old
    like they said, the directory system will report bogus multiple title sets with a disk size comparable to bluray, maybe larger
    try running Dvddfab-passkey or dycrypter these run full time in the background, pick one
    then use shrink to copy main movie only, no compression, if you want compression, do that later to the HHD copy
    this works 'most of the time' for me

shrink will display a list of title sets, and you will have too pick ONE, they will be different sizes and different run times
    if there is a glitch, or the movie doesn't play correctly,
    try again with a different title
    movie run time is listed on the front of the disc
    i usually pick the title that best matches that run time
    Last edited by theewizard; 18th May 2016 at 12:22.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    have you tried installing shrink in a folder other than the c:/program ones and running as admin? it's old enough that it might not behave properly on w7-10.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if you want an ISO, make that from the HHD copy of the main movie
    very hard to to get a whole disc copy using Shrink with a disc that has the bogus title set copy protection
    this bogus TS protection even messess with dfab
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    All these drives connected via sata & 'drive trays' One actually via 'e-sata'. The Toshiba laptop (W-7) has e-sata connector on it. Have not tried a usb connection, yet anyways. Formatted the 3T drv GPT, had 2 partitions, one=2T one=1T, at first. If I can get a 2T partition I can see/use, I will be happy. Only reason I bought it, Frys, on sale, $69.00, been sitting there for 6 months, thought I'd use it. First hdd bigger than 1 T IO ever bought (and last, <- lose a lot of data when one drive dies)
    You may not be able to use USB to connect your 3TB hard drive to a system running XP Pro 64-bit. If I am reading what Microsoft says correctly, XP Pro 64-bit doesn't support GPT partitioning for drives connected via USB or IEEE 1394.

Maybe the 3TB drive should be reserved for your Windows 7 system. It appears that XP Pro 64-bit has some challenging compatibility issues with certain technology that did not exist when it was released.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 18th May 2016 at 15:38. Reason: Typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With '7' I 'created' a 2 t partition(?) & left the remaining as it was. Now, XP only sees the remaining (+- 800 gig). 3 t for my 7 laptop is waaay overkill for me. Original plan was for videos on/with the XP machine. Now, I cant even find the 2 t worth of 'space' with XP. How to undo everything & go back to like 'outofthebox' hdd??
    -c-
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With '7' I 'created' a 2 t partition(?) & left the remaining as it was. Now, XP only sees the remaining (+- 800 gig). 3 t for my 7 laptop is waaay overkill for me. Original plan was for videos on/with the XP machine. Now, I cant even find the 2 t worth of 'space' with XP. How to undo everything & go back to like 'outofthebox' hdd??
    -c-
    You could try reformatting the drive with XP Pro 64-bit. Backup the data to another drive first since you'll loose any data stored on the drive when it is reformatted.

From now on, get 2TB or smaller drives for use with XP Pro 64-bit. In addition to the problems you have experienced using one, 3TB drives in general seem to fail more often than 2TB drives.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/guid_p....mspx?mfr=true

• GPT disks are supported only by Windows XP 64-Bit Edition. You cannot move GPT disks to computers running the 32-bit versions of Windows XP. From Disk Management on computers running a 32-bit version of Windows XP, GPT disks appear as basic MBR disks with a single partition covering the whole disk, but the data on the partition cannot be accessed.

• The operating system loader and boot partition must reside on a GPT disk. Other hard disks can be either MBR or GPT.

• You can have both MBR and GPT disks in a single dynamic disk group. You can also have a mix of basic GPT and MBR disks, which are not part of disk groups.

• You can convert an MBR disk to a GPT disk and vice versa only if the disk is empty.

• You cannot use the GPT partitioning style on removable media, detachable disks that use universal serial bus (USB) or IEEE 1394 (also called FireWire) interfaces, or on cluster disks that are connected to shared SCSI or Fibre Channel buses used by the Cluster service.

You can create partitions on basic GPT disks using the EFI firmware utility diskpart.efi, the diskpart.exe command-line utility, or Disk Management in Windows XP 64-Bit Edition."

Given all the exceptions of when a GPT (>2TB partiion) drive is usable under WinXP X64, I highly recommend just formatting as MBR (you'll have a usable 2TB partition and an additonal 1TB unusable partition).

If you want to use the full 3TB capacity, there's a workaround with Easeus Partition Master (Free Edition) as discussed in the thread https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/369632-Issue-playing-editing-videos-in-4TB-external-drive/page2 . From the factory, this is how they format the drive as MBR so the full capacity is seen in XP 32bit.

I don't recommend this unless you understand what's going on (internal 4K clusters seen as 512k clusters by the OS) as there MAY be some incompatibility given that it's a workaround I came acorss in EPM.

I slso posted about some DVDShrink errors that I don't remember why I brought it up.
    Last edited by lingyi; 21st May 2016 at 02:39.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    -c-
    Sorry I missed this in my post above. It seems that you formatted the drive as GPT (since you 'created a 2 t partition'). If you format as MBR, a 2TB partition will automatically be created.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My '7' & XPP are all 64 bit versions. My re-formatting/changing to mbr, I really dont know what I have. Tried 'diskpart' (<- shades of dos 5!).

Is it possible the mobo itself could be the problem? Its an older (<- remember about me, if it works, dont fix it!), = ECS geforce 100pm.

I'm not worried about lost data, havent used it yet, most 'powered-up' time has been spent on re-formating.

Anyone near San Diego want a 3 t wd drive, cheap? HAHA

-c-
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My '7' & XPP are all 64 bit versions. My re-formatting/changing to mbr, I really dont know what I have. Tried 'diskpart' (<- shades of dos 5!).

Is it possible the mobo itself could be the problem? Its an older (<- remember about me, if it works, dont fix it!), = ECS geforce 100pm.

I'm not worried about lost data, havent used it yet, most 'powered-up' time has been spent on re-formating.

Anyone near San Diego want a 3 t wd drive, cheap? HAHA

-c-
    The ability to use GPT depends on the OS. (Windows XP 64-bit is supposed to be able to use GPT or MBR.)

Your old-fashioned ECS geforce 100pm motherboard has an old-fashioned BIOS, and the 3TB drive is a storage drive. I think for that motherboard, you must use MBR for boot drives because it doesn't have a UEFI BIOS, and even if it did, I think because of XP Pro 64-bit, you would need to use it in legacy BIOS mode. (A UEFI BIOS is required to use a GPT partitioned boot drive. XP Pro 64-bit apparently cannot be used with UEFI, only legacy BIOS.) You should be able to use either MBR or GPT for storage drives, but you will only be able to use 2TB of your storage drive if it is partitioned using MBR.

For PCs with a UEFI BIOS, GPT partitioned boot drives are recommended regardless of the drive capacity. Storage drives can be MBR or GPT. As an example, my newest PC (Windows 7 Home 64-bit) has a UEFI BIOS. The boot drive is GPT partitioned but all the storage drives are MBR partitioned.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 22nd May 2016 at 16:04. Reason: added more detais for clarity
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @cornemuse

The info after the second quote is just for reference and clarity for others who may read this thread.

Bottom line for you is:

> Don't worry about your MB being bad, if the system boots, you're fine.
    > Format the drive in Win 7 as MBR which will give you a usable 2TB partition with full backward XP compatibility including XP 32bit
    > As long as you're not planning to use the drive to boot, you shouldn't have any other issues
    > If the drive still isn't recognized in either WinXP x64 for Win 7, either your connection is bad (try different cables, enclosures, as fritz93 stated) or the drive is itself is bad.

=fritzi93;2445552
    As to your 3 TB drive, were you able to see the entire 3 TBs before you re-partitioned? AFAIK, external hard drives over 2 TB are going to be AFD and partitioned as GPT, the HD manufacturer's enclosure emulating 512k sectors and MBR partitioning, so legacy systems can use them.
    > Don't worry about this either. As discussed in another thread, ALL >500GB HDDs (with the exception of some highly specialized and expensive server HDDs) since 2011 are AFD (Advanced Format) and AFAIK are always (unless it's for a MAC) preformatted as MBR (using the 4K internal, 512k external "trick" I mentioned above) no matter the size. This is to ensure legacy XP and lower OS users are able to use the drive out of the box.

The ability to use GPT depends on the OS. (Windows XP 64-bit is supposed to be able to use GPT or MBR.)

Your old-fashioned ECS geforce 100pm motherboard has an old-fashioned BIOS, and the 3TB drive is a storage drive. I think for that motherboard, you must use MBR for boot drives because it doesn't have a UEFI BIOS, and even if it did, I think because of XP, you would need to use it in legacy BIOS mode. (A UEFI BIOS is required to use a GPT partitioned boot drive.) You should be able to use either MBR or GPT for storage drives, but you will only be able to use 2TB of your storage drive if it is partitioned using MBR.

For PCs with a UEFI BIOS, GPT partitioned boot drives are recommended regardless of the drive capacity. Storage drives can be MBR or GPT. As an example, my newest PC has a UEFI BIOS. The boot drive is GPT partitioned but all the storage drives are MBR partitioned.
    Okay, I confused myself (once again ). I assumed WinXP X64 DID support booting from a GPT HDD. However, I checked and found it cannot:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn653580(v=vs.85).aspx Updated October 29, 2009

[GPT} "•Can be used as a boot volume on x64-based editions of Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008. Starting with Windows Server 2003 SP1, GPT disks can also be used as a boot volume on Itanium-based systems."

"Note Starting with Windows Vista, you can install a Windows x64-based operating system on a GPT disk only if the computer has UEFI boot firmware installed. However, installing a Windows x64-based operating system on a GPT disk is not supported on Windows XP. Attempting to do so yields an error."

Note that Microsoft contradicts itself in this FAQ [url]https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/302873[url] (Last reviewed 08/04/2009) and may be reason it may seem that WinXP x64 can boot from a GPT HDD:

"Can the 64-bit version of Windows XP read, write, and boot from GUID Partition Table disks?
    Yes."

But then states:

"Can the 64-bit version of Windows XP read, write, and boot from MBR disks?
    The 64-bit version of Windows XP can read and write MBR disks, but cannot boot from MBR disks."

So this FAQ is likely incorrect in both statements.
    Last edited by lingyi; 21st May 2016 at 21:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK!

How do I format this drive to be "MBR"? It never shows up during formatting process as to selecting either MBR or GPS in the formatting process. Neither on 7 nor on XP 64. I will drag out my old DOS manual & try to figure out the 'diskpart' command/switches etc.

Or maybe pray to St. Jude, , , ,

-c-

prone to ranting, but appreciative of all help offered.
    Last edited by cornemuse; 22nd May 2016 at 11:00. Reason: feng shui
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK!

How do I format this drive to be "MBR"? It never shows up during formatting process as to selecting either MBR or GPS in the formatting process. Neither on 7 nor on XP 64. I will drag out my old DOS manual & try to figure out the 'diskpart' command/switches etc.

Or maybe pray to St. Jude, , , ,

-c-

prone to ranting, but appreciative of all help offered.
    There are instructions for using diskpart under "Option Two" in this link: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/26203-convert-gpt-disk-mbr-disk.html diskpart should be the same for XP Pro 64-bit

Google is my friend.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post

Your old-fashioned ECS geforce 100pm motherboard has an old-fashioned BIOS, and the 3TB drive is a storage drive. I think for that motherboard, you must use MBR for boot drives because it doesn't have a UEFI BIOS, and even if it did, I think because of XP, you would need to use it in legacy BIOS mode. (A UEFI BIOS is required to use a GPT partitioned boot drive.) You should be able to use either MBR or GPT for storage drives, but you will only be able to use 2TB of your storage drive if it is partitioned using MBR.

For PCs with a UEFI BIOS, GPT partitioned boot drives are recommended regardless of the drive capacity. Storage drives can be MBR or GPT. As an example, my newest PC has a UEFI BIOS. The boot drive is GPT partitioned but all the storage drives are MBR partitioned.
    Okay, I confused myself (once again ). I assumed WinXP X64 DID support booting from a GPT HDD. However, I checked and found it cannot:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn653580(v=vs.85).aspx Updated October 29, 2009

[GPT} "•Can be used as a boot volume on x64-based editions of Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows Server 2008. Starting with Windows Server 2003 SP1, GPT disks can also be used as a boot volume on Itanium-based systems."

"Note Starting with Windows Vista, you can install a Windows x64-based operating system on a GPT disk only if the computer has UEFI boot firmware installed. However, installing a Windows x64-based operating system on a GPT disk is not supported on Windows XP. Attempting to do so yields an error."

Note that Microsoft contradicts itself in this FAQ [url]https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/302873[url] (Last reviewed 08/04/2009) and may be reason it may seem that WinXP x64 can boot from a GPT HDD:

"Can the 64-bit version of Windows XP read, write, and boot from GUID Partition Table disks?
    Yes."

But then states:

"Can the 64-bit version of Windows XP read, write, and boot from MBR disks?
    The 64-bit version of Windows XP can read and write MBR disks, but cannot boot from MBR disks."

So this FAQ is likely incorrect in both statements.
    The following page was my reference: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn640535%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Thank you for the updated link. I wish MS would delete outdated references or at least point to updated references which may contain different info.

My final takeaway is that WinXP x64 was and is an odd stepchild OS that is poorly documented and supported.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, you might want to take a look at Clonezilla, a Live specialty distro, that lets you examine, repair, clone ISO files and whole drives. It's free and not a big dl. It doesn't care how the drive is set up or which windows OS, sees all, knows all. A new review of it here:
    http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20160523#clonezilla

Also check GParted & Parted Magic now with GUI
    Quote Quote