VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello!

I want to re encode a mkv video to fix the display aspect ratio. basically the original encoder put the Width value in the Height and the other way around.

Using VidCoder I got a bigger file even without encoding the audio track.

My question is how to adjust the settings so it re encodes the video and obtain the same file but with the correct aspect ratio.

Here is the MediaInfo:

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : Main@Main
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=12
    Format settings, picture structure : Frame
    Codec ID : V_MPEG2
    Codec ID/Info : MPEG 1 or 2 Video
    Duration : 2h 46mn
    Bit rate mode : Variable
    Bit rate : 2 959 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate : 3 060 Kbps
    Width : 352 pixels
    Height : 576 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Original display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : PAL
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.584
    Time code of first frame : 00:00:00:00
    Time code source : Group of pictures header
    GOP, Open/Closed : Closed
    Stream size : 3.44 GiB (90%)
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

Thanks in advance.

aa
    Quote Quote  
  2. 352x576 (352 wide, 576 tall) is half D1 resolution and is very common. It's also flagged as 4:3 display aspect ratio. So it's probably not a mistake. Maybe your player just isn't displaying it properly.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, I did notice it was set to display 4:3. The problem is my TV, so I need to re-encode.

I ended up with a 4.6 GB file from a 3.8 GB.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by bowiebowie View Post
    I ended up with a 4.6 GB file from a 3.8 GB.
    Use a lower bitrate.

Code:
    file size = bitrate * running time
    Quote Quote  
  5. I wondered if there is a way to replicate the original video, just changing the AR. I will lower the bit rate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to disturb you, but what if you change original aspect ratio in your original file to 2:3 ? Cant it helps ?

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  7. no problem Bernix.

how do you suggest i change the aspect ratio?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hm, I thought it is posible in MKVtoolnix. But you can try set width height to 704 576. I know that only some players supports it. But you can at least try it. Sorry I thought it is easy to change original AR.

Bernix
    Quote Quote  
  9. No, my TV does not recognize these changes. I need to re-encode.
    Quote Quote  
  10. It's an MPG file and it's already flagged as 4:3 DAR. If you're TV doesn't support DAR flags you'll have to resize adn reencode the video. Change the resolution to 640x480 and flag 1:1 sample aspect ratio. I'm assuming here that 4:3 is the correct display aspect ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes 4:3 is correct. Thanks for the help. I will lower the bitrate
    Quote Quote  
  12. Oh, wait. You said it's an MKV file. If so, try demuxing the MPEG 2 video (and whatever the audio is) with Mkvtoolnix. Then mux the video (and audio) into an MPG container. The TV may understand the DAR flags in the MPG container. The free version of Tmpgenc might work for the muxing. Or ImagoMpeg-Muxer. Or even ffmpeg if you can deal with command line programs.

I just checked, MkvExtractGUI will extract the MPEG 2 video in an MPG program stream container (the audio will be in a separate file). You can test that MPG file to see if your TV displays it correctly. If so, then you can mux the audio and video together.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th May 2016 at 13:15.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Will test. Tomorrow I will post the results. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Oh, wait. You said it's an MKV file. If so, try demuxing the MPEG 2 video (and whatever the audio is) with Mkvtoolnix. Then mux the video (and audio) into an MPG container. The TV may understand the DAR flags in the MPG container. The free version of Tmpgenc might work for the muxing. Or ImagoMpeg-Muxer. Or even ffmpeg if you can deal with command line programs.

I just checked, MkvExtractGUI will extract the MPEG 2 video in an MPG program stream container (the audio will be in a separate file). You can test that MPG file to see if your TV displays it correctly. If so, then you can mux the audio and video together.

No, my TV didn't display it correctly.

In VidCoder under High Profile/ Settings / Video / Quality, I chose Avg Bitrate and it automatically calculated it. Worked perfectly! Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote