VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm new to the encoding process but as a hobby/passion whatever term you want to use I want to learn. I don't need anyone to hold my hand through this necessarily if someone could just point me to the right programs to use I can get it from there(although any help would be appreciated). My project is simple enough (to explain at least). I have 2 AVI files. One is 1080p but audio is stereo and the other is much lower video qlty but has had work done to create a 5.1 audio source. The audio and video sources are 29.97 fps .I have my friends permission to use his audio ( he actually gave me a copy of his avi file)but I want to figure this on my own instead of being shown. My friend would probably just do it and I'm the type that has to use my hands to do something and still retain/ learn how to do it again. So can somebody please tell me what programs to use to do this. I would like to use freeware even if it takes longer and/or requires more steps....I have the time as I'm laid up from surgery and not getting up and around for a few weeks. I am proficient in authoring encoding burning etc so if it's easier to do this with vob files I'm capable of doing that, however I would like to learn to do it from the original source files. So if anyone can help I would truly appreciate the knowledge....remember we were all newbies at something once. I have searched around the forums but the only advice I could find recommended using sony vegas I believe and I would rather stay away from the expensive program that do all the work for you. I am after the knowledge of how to do theses steps individually so that I can learn how to truly put individual tools to work so that in the future if I want to only extract an audio file I can. One last thing if anyone can recommend a good audio sync program out there I am also interested in learning that as well. hunchback.

Fyi I am on an embarrassing lower end win 10 64bit platform pc while I replace a burned up processor thanx to a broken water-cooler in my main rig
    Last edited by THEREALHUNCHBACK; 15th May 2016 at 19:27.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you dont mind the output will be TS file, then you can -> Use Tsmuxer. You have to first demux the audio file (5.1) It you will do in Tsmuxer when you check demux and choose only that audiofile. Now click on file in upper window and press remove. Then Drag and drop your Quality video Vob file to input window in ts muxer. Press Add and add your audiofile (5.1) Check the track that you want and press Start muxing.
    If the movie in one film is with more or less scenes it is problem... If the time of both video is same, perfect situation. If not you can speed up, slow down in Audacity to miliseconds precision.

Sorry my bad english and confusing recipe, but at least try to explain
    Quote Quote  
  3. The easiest is probalby MkvToolnix -- if you can live with MKV. Open one video, add the other, uncheck the tracks you don't want, then merge to an MKV file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hopefully the audio and the video track you plan to combine will be exactly the same length and content or you may have some sync problems.
    It's unusual that two separate audio/video files from two different sources are going to be the same. Good luck.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanx all for the help ...this seems to be a great site ..all these responses and I only barely posted a hour ago. After checking it appears file a and b have an 18 second run-time discrepancy . However it is simply a matter of the cutoff point of the file after the end credits roll( the source for audio is 18 seconds shorter than the source to be used as the video.I checked throughout and everything is in sync throughout. So I'm guessing here but if that's the case it shouldn't make a noticeable difference correct or will it change the audio speed to try to fit the length of the video file? I guess I'm asking if once put back together and authored and so on will it try to stretch the audio to fill the entire video length or will there just be no sound for the last 18 seconds of the end credits...so what's thee consensus out there fellow encoders? (I can live with losing sound in the end of the credits, however I do have a bug about trying to make things look perfect and so-forth.

And thank you for the warm welcome BERNIX JAGABOO and of course REDWUDZ THE SUPER MOD
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just a short note about sync errors. Three major kinds.

1st is where the video and audio are the same length, but one starts before or after the other. The sync error stays the same throughout the length of the video.
    This can be corrected by applying an simple 'offset' in the starting time of the audio most times.

2nd is where the video and audio are different lengths. This is where the sync error gradually gets worse as the video plays.
    To fix this, you change the length of the video or the audio.

3rd is a mix of the two or several errors during the playback of the video.
    To fix this you need to identify the type of error and slice up the video and repair each part. Not easy.

Hopefully you have a simple sync error.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I hope so too seeing as this is the first opportunity to do this it would be cool to get it right the first time around but on the other hand the more I have to do to fix it the more procedures I will learn.. ultimately my goal here is to eventually be able to fix anything fixable and to run with the best (okay so maybe just to be able to run in the same ballpark is more realistic). I'm always up for a challenge so learning to fix +progressive sync errors is definitely something I would like to learn..the bigger the better. I'm going to spend the day working with this. Can anyone recommend a good AVI edit program..the only thing I have installed now is AVS VIDEO EDITOR but if you know a better choice for this task I'm all ears. Keep in mind I only need to trim 18 seconds from the tail end of the credit scene THAT WON'T BE MISSED . Right now I only use AVS VIDEO EDITOR to make a 1.5 - 3 minute video background that I overlay a music track with to make a cool VGMA video menu in dvdstyler.. thanks again Hunchback
    Last edited by THEREALHUNCHBACK; 16th May 2016 at 08:27.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by THEREALHUNCHBACK View Post
    I only need to trim 18 seconds from the tail end
    Why bother? The audio and video don't need to be the same length.
    Quote Quote  
  9. that what I was unclear of..I figured it would just end up with those last 18 seconds being audio-less but as I have never done this I thought there was always a slight chance it would try to stretch audio to fill entire video track and throwing the sync out completely. So then, am I right in assuming that after merging these 2 files the last 18 seconds of the credit scene will be there but have no audio and the sync in the movie should stay true (It was true when I played both files side by side on the computer) Does this sound right? I know there can't be definitive yes or no until its done but given the facts does it sound right?
    Last edited by THEREALHUNCHBACK; 16th May 2016 at 09:08.
    Quote Quote  
  10. It would have taken you less time to remux your audio and video with MkvToolnix than to write your last question. And your question would be answered. Remuxing A/V tracks does not change the length of either.

You can use VirtualDub to do this with AVI files (and produce an AVI output). Use File -> Open Video File to open the video whose video you want to keep. Select Video -> Direct Stream Copy. Select Audio -> Audio From Another File. Select the video whose audio you want to use. Select Video -> Save As AVI.
    Last edited by jagabo; 16th May 2016 at 10:04.
    Quote Quote