VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello.

I'm currently working with a lot of mp4 files from go pro, which I need to convert before importing them to avid media composer, or else I'll die in the process, it takes forever to consolidate mp4 files. However, when I convert the files into MXF it doesn't take that long, even though the converting takes some time aswell.

My orders in ffmpeg right know is:

ffmpeg -f concat -i <(for f in ./*.MP4; do echo "file '$PWD/$f'"; done) -c:v dnxhd -b:v 120M -c:a pcm_s24le OUTPUT.MOV

I use this command to concatenate all my files into one and make them to a mov container. After that I usually use

ffmpeg -i INPUT.MOV (-timecode 00:00:00) -c:v mpeg2video -dc 10 -sc_threshold 1000000000 -intra_vlc 1 -non_linear_quant 1 -qmin 1 -qmax 12 -bf 2 -g 12 -pix_fmt yuv422p -color_primaries bt709 -color_trc bt709 -colorspace bt709 -color_range mpeg -b 50M -minrate 50M -maxrate 50M -bufsize 17825792 -rc_init_occupancy 17825792 -flags +cgop+ilme+ildct -acodec pcm_s24le -ar 48000 OUTPUT.MXF

However, this process takes some time, because I need to do it for each go pro clip. Which means I need to order my go pro clips, find the timecode put it in when Im converting from mov to mxf.

Is there any why I can do this quicker and smarter? - I need my go pro files to be in the same container as I'm converting them into here, and with the created timecode. - It isn't possible to make FFMPEG read the timecode and burn it in?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Why are you using Quicktime as an intermediate? Why are you transcoding twice (AVC-->DNxHD-->MPEG-2)?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Linking to the files (called AMA pre version 8) and transcoding them within Avid is still the fastest way to go. What version of Avid are you using? GoPro files don't consolidate as they are a non-Avid native codec.

If there is a lot of material you know you don't want you can do a quick selects edit and transcode only needed material.
    Quote Quote  
  4. But then I still need to do something to get all my files into one.

Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Linking to the files (called AMA pre version 8) and transcoding them within Avid is still the fastest way to go. What version of Avid are you using? GoPro files don't consolidate as they are a non-Avid native codec.

If there is a lot of material you know you don't want you can do a quick selects edit and transcode only needed material.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You're right. But do you have any ideas what else to do?

Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Why are you using Quicktime as an intermediate? Why are you transcoding twice (AVC-->DNxHD-->MPEG-2)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How about upgrading to a modern NLE that can edit the GoPro clips natively without need to transcode first? Even Aviutl can do it and it's free.

Your methods are still in the dark ages.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yea I know. But that requires we are a leaving Avid media composer?

Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    How about upgrading to a modern NLE that can edit the GoPro clips natively without need to transcode first? Even Aviutl can do it and it's free.

Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post

For shorter files it's not an issue. Avid can work with them directly as well.

It's when you get into long runs that Premiere, FCPX, etc starts to choke and transcoding to a proxy format becomes a better work option. At that point it's more system dependent than software dependent. For some structural reason I haven't fully analyzed, GoPro files tend to be particularly difficult.

After making your creative cuts of course, you link back to the original sources for final output.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Phillipj View Post
    But then I still need to do something to get all my files into one.
    Why, are you using them as part of a multicam group? If so, join them natively with something like TMPGenc Smart Renderer before ingest, or just build your muticam groups in sections.
    Quote Quote