VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys and girls, new to the forum and after some advice on the fastest way to rip some music dvds.
    I have about 150-200 music video dvds, each with about 12 tracks per disc, each chapter is a separate music video, so what i am after is the quickest and most efficient way to rip and name each track (i know this isn't going to be a quick process by any means) I want also to try and keep the quality the same as the dvd. I have no software at the moment so staring from scratch. will probably be serving files with Universal media server to my ps3 or from NAS drive (WD EX2100)
    any help or pointers would be be gratefully received.

cheers
    Phil
    Last edited by ljphil78; 10th May 2016 at 14:55.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to keep the quality exactly the same, you rip it to your hard drive and make an exact copy. This would be the fastest.
    If you want it smaller, you re-encode it instead to a smaller size with some quality loss. How much depends on the format used.
    This would be slower, how much depends also on your PC.

If your server has no problems with the DVD format, I would recommend that.
    You can figure out how much room is needed on your server by checking the size of one of the discs and multiplying times 200.

Are these commercial music DVDs? If they have copy protection, then you likely will need to use a decrypter, the same as with a movie DVD.

Not that familiar with those type of music video DVDs but likely DVD Fab Decrypter would work.

Others may give better advice.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    MakeMKV is probably the easiest tool for losslessly ripping titles from DVD. However, you have to rename the files yourself, and the MKV (Matroska) format doesn't have widest support. In your situation, I might use VidCoder to create auto-named MP4 files at a video quality of 18 or better and audio bitrate of 192 kHz.
    Quote Quote  
  4. thanks guys, yes they are commercial dvds but are from about 5 or more years ago and dont have any copy protection on them, not to worried about file size as i have 6tb free on main pc and 8tb NAS although this is in raid so only 4tb useable.
    I realise that i am going to have to manually enter all the track information, is there any software that will make this easier? say entering track info and then renaming the file from that information?
    Quote Quote  
  5. ok just tried MakeMKV and it just gives me 1 file, just had a look through the forums and DVD decrypter is mentioned in this thread https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/344996-Ripping-Music-Videos-From-DVD and that seems to be providing the files that im after (and in just over 4 mins). so i'm just after the most economical method of renaming the files now lol
    Last edited by ljphil78; 10th May 2016 at 16:48.
    Quote Quote  
  6. oops just realised DVD decrypter is just giving me vob files not mkv
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ljphil78 View Post
    oops just realised DVD decrypter is just giving me vob files not mkv
    So what? That wasn't one of your original requests - that it be packaged as an MKV:

Originally Posted by ljphil78 View Post
    I want also to try and keep the quality the same as the dvd.
    It's actually possible to have MakeMKV make separate MKVs for all your chapters but I, for one, would never attempt it. You first have to turn on Expert Mode in Preferences->General. Then you open your DVD as Files->Open DVDs manually. Then follow this 'guide':

http://www.makemkv.com/manualdvd/
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    so i'm just after the most economical method of renaming the files now lol
    That's not going to happen. The artist-song titles only appear in a picture, the menu. Start typing.
    OR....if these are commercially produced DVD, just find them on the internet somewhere and copy & paste the artist - title info.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    oops just realised DVD decrypter is just giving me vob files not mkv
    So what? That wasn't one of your original requests - that it be packaged as an MKV:

I want also to try and keep the quality the same as the dvd.
    It's actually possible to have MakeMKV make separate MKVs for all your chapters but I, for one, would never attempt it. You first have to turn on Expert Mode in Preferences->General. Then you open your DVD as Files->Open DVDs manually. Then follow this 'guide':

http://www.makemkv.com/manualdvd/
    Lol I guess your right I didn't specify, it's been a long time since I've messed around with dvd's and had forgotten about vob files.
    The manual mode in makemkv seems to be the way to go, so far the discs I've tried have all had 1 title with 15 chapters so just bed to get my head round the string syntax as the help page seems slightly confusing lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    so far the discs I've tried have all had 1 title with 15 chapters
    That is completely and totally normal. Each chapter is an individual music video.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    so i'm just after the most economical method of renaming the files now lol
    That's not going to happen. The artist-song titles only appear in a picture, the menu. Start typing.
    OR....if these are commercially produced DVD, just find them on the internet somewhere and copy & paste the artist - title info.
    I'll have to have another look as the last time I thought about doing this was a few years ago. They are all Mixmash music dvds
    Quote Quote  
  12. I use a fabulous program called "File Renamer Turbo" to name ripped music files. Manually entering the names of 5-10 song titles isn't too bad, but when you've ripped hundreds of music DVDs and one thousand LPs to digital files, as I have, having an automated process is much easier. You simply have to look online for a track listing of the DVD (or LP) you are ripping, cut and paste the track list into a text file and then load "File Renamer Turbo", select 'Rename From List", save the files and that's it. I usually use discogs.com or Amazon to get the cleanest list. "FRT" also allows you to automatically number the tracks, change the letter cases, etc. It's cheap and a great program!
    Quote Quote  
  13. So looking at that link I should be able to just change the file extension from vob to mpg
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So looking at that link I should be able to just change the file extension from vob to mpg
    Not recommended. It's "good enough" for some people. You are actually better off leaving them as VOB files. Most respectable players play them as is.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Commercial dvds not copy-protected ? Very unlikely. Are you possibly confusing copy-protection with Region-Free which many music dvds are.

IIRC dvddecrypter, which may work with older disks, has an ifo mode that allows you to select a chapter to rip. The downside if if you have 15 chapters per disk that means you run the program 15 times and select a new chapter each time.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Commercial dvds not copy-protected ? Very unlikely. Are you possibly confusing copy-protection with Region-Free which many music dvds are.

IIRC dvddecrypter, which may work with older disks, has an ifo mode that allows you to select a chapter to rip. The downside if if you have 15 chapters per disk that means you run the program 15 times and select a new chapter each time.
    I say not copy protected, all I know is I had no problems making backup copy's of them when I first got them lol
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Keep your 'lols'. Most of us behave as adults around here.

And just because you made a backup copy means nought. This whole forums revolves around making backups for personal use. And 99.9999% of these have copy-protection.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Keep your 'lols'. Most of us behave as adults around here.

And just because you made a backup copy means nought. This whole forums revolves around making backups for personal use. And 99.9999% of these have copy-protection.
    Actually, my experence with Asian (Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan) DVDs is the exact opposite. I don 't recall ever coming across copy protection on any of the hundreds of discs I've copied. And yes, these are originals, not bootlegs. Blu-rays however are often protected (though not requiring the latest program update), probably because of the Blu-ray spec.

Also, they're not usually region coded, or locked except for Japanese releases.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Fair enough.

Even so Mixmash appears to be Dutch based. Even if it is a smallish operation basic cp is there to discourage copying.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Incorrect.
    You can easily get ALL 15 chapters "in one go" with DVDDecrypter.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks for all your help guys, think I'm going to go down the DVD decrypter route (and yes I managed to rip all 15 chapters in 1 pass) I can then edit tags in media monkey and use the auto organise function to rename the file from the tag data and move into a dedicated folder. Time to get typing, although luckily I've managed to find some of the track listings online
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Incorrect.
    You can easily get ALL 15 chapters "in one go" with DVDDecrypter.
    I know that. But you can also select the individual chapters AFAIK

But its been a long time since I last used that and I recall some 'splitting' options.

But it seems my words are now irrelevant since the OP appears to have got what he wants, baring names.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DB83 is correct about dvddecrypter's ability. It can do single, multiple or all chapters.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm assuming you want each music video in its own file.

Some music video DvDs do indeed have them as separate VOBs, some have them all in one long video joined together.

The first thing I would do is convert the content to MPG files. I personally use Nero Vision for this. The important thing to note though is that working directly with VOBs may be problematic outside of their respective DvD home. It's best to convert to MPG. This is lossless and quick, but must be done properly to remove the metadata within.

If the MPG files come out as separate songs, great, but if they're joined, I'd suggest using a dedicated MPEG editor like Womble, VideoReDo or TMPGEnc MPEG Editor, etc, so you can cut them without loss (only a few frames will be affected at the cutting points). This will be a manual process though.

Personally I encode the video to H.264 for smaller files, and the audio to AAC. But if the audio has 5.1, then I just use the AC3 file directly into a MKV. But that's me, and this is for smaller files and playback on my system(s), but whatever I do I always keep the Source (either the DvD or the MPG files you converted to).

As per naming, again, another manual solution is all I can see here. However, I've done this many times. It's no big deal. It takes only a few minutes for one DvD's content.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote