VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Total newbie here. I tried lurking in the forum to read about what equipment is needed to capture VHS tapes and it seems overwhelming. So i hope I can ask a basic question. It it possible with about a $300 budget to convert some VHS tapes to DVD. I read some thread where people asked about a Combo DVD recorded and that seems like its not the preferred way to go. Yet other threads mention the ADVC110 (Grass Valley makes then now I think). People mention a TBC is needed but they seem pretty expensive.

A little about me...this will be a hobby and a starting point...I might add more equipment later but just looking to get started. I realize I wont have the same quality as a video conversion service and that is ok with me.

Is a combo unit really that bad?
    If so, can someone suggest a digitizer and VCR that could do what I want? I've read threads as far back as 2008 and I would think that the advice then might not be the same as now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I own a S-VHS combo unit with a TBC (JVC SR-MV45), I just don't have the machine convert it to DVD. Instead I use the tape deck to play the tape and use a capture card for much better results. A lot of combo units are on the lower end, just not all of them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What capture card do you use?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Trek921 View Post
    I realize I wont have the same quality as a video conversion service and that is ok with me.
    With a little work you should have better quality.

I use a Canopus box myself much of the time. A line TBC is very useful and your cheapest bet is to buy a used DVD recorder with a TBC and use it in passthrough mode. I have a Panasonic DMR ES15 but there are others.

As for a capture card, if you go that route I'd recommend a USB capture device instead. Hauppage and Diamond make good ones. There are threads about both using DVD recorders for their TBCs and about USB capping devices here. A little search will turn them up.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Do you use the Canopus ADVC110? is that different than the Grass Valley ADVC110 I seen on B&H?

If I am using my computer to burn the DVDs (Using dvd authoring software which I am familiar with so that's not a problem) I suppose I dont need the DVD Recorder.

SO that leaves the VCR...is there anything I should be looking for when getting a VCR to play VHS that will be captured?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Trek921 View Post
    Do you use the Canopus ADVC110? is that different than the Grass Valley ADVC110
    Canopus -> Grass Valley -> "Grass Valley, a Belden Brand" via a series of acquisitions. The product is the same.

If I am using my computer to burn the DVDs [...] I suppose I dont need the DVD Recorder.
    You missed the point.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/319420-Who-uses-a-DVD-recorder-as-a-line-TBC-and-what-do-you-use

Personally, if opting for the DV route, I think it makes more sense to buy a MiniDV camcorder with built-in TBC instead of an ADVC + separate line TBC. The trouble there is avoiding raised black levels, if you live in North America.
    is there anything I should be looking for when getting a VCR to play VHS that will be captured?
    You said you've read threads going back to 2008, so you should have some idea.
    Last edited by Brad; 9th May 2016 at 16:33.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Are you sure MiniDV camcorders existed with TBC? What is for since the tape is digital unless you mean Hi8? As far as Hi8 and S-VHS-C camcorders I'm not aware that they can apply TBC on the S-Video input only from the tape, I could be wrong though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, I'm sure. Davideck posted results with his JVC model many years ago. There are other posts about Sony models and I believe Canon too.

The camcorders' analog inputs were there to allow consumers to transfer and edit existing footage, which would've been from VHS etc. Apparently these manufacturers cared enough to include TBC so the footage wouldn't be garbage.

This is specific to certain MiniDV (and Digital8) models. Analog camcorders don't have input TBC.
    Last edited by Brad; 9th May 2016 at 20:03. Reason: Removed Amazon link as it seems to be a standard quote about the MiniDV format in general
    Quote Quote  
  9. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    So it's a full frame TBC or frame sync filter not a line TBC, just like the ones in Canopus devices or the Edirol VMC-1
    Quote Quote  
  10. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    What? Did you even look at the link?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    What? Did you even look at the link?
    No I did not read the thread, if the TBC in a DV camcorder is different than the one in a DV capture device so what are the differences ? Owning an Edirol VMC-1 its built in TBC doesn't even come close to my built in JVC S-VHS deck TBC.

Now I took a look at that thread and that's what I would get from my VMC-1 if used as a pass through, the VMC-1 does not correct chroma noise that why I prefer the JVC TBC.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Of course it doesn't correct chroma noise; that's not what a TBC does. The JVC S-VHS VCR ties together its DNR feature with its TBC feature.
    Quote Quote