VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi. I'm gradually teaching myself about restoration with the help of you good people. After going over what I've learned so far, I have a question about the one topic that I find most difficult – identifying what needs to be done to a DVD. Attached is a page from my own manual. With the clip opened in Vdub and 'bob doubler' activated, there are two identical frames for each image and the combing is plain to see.

What I'd like to know is, can the fact that it was field-blended be confirmed (or ruled out) at this stage? Or is it necessary to check the effects of QTGMC before deciding? Thank you.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	deinterlacing and unblending.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	36930  

Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by pooksahib View Post
    With the clip opened in Vdub and 'bob doubler' activated, there are two identical frames for each image and the combing is plain to see.
    If both fields are identical (aside from comb artifacts from the crude deinterlacing), and both show the same blending, that would be frame blended, not field blended.
    Quote Quote  
  3. OK, thanks. The clip is in post #4 of this thread:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/377869-MeGUI-my-first-use-of-it-and-some-questions?...05#post2439605
    and in post #7, manono tells me that "it was converted to PAL from a film source by way of field-blending".

Can you confirm frame- or field-blending (if you're willing)?

If it is 'frame', is SRestore still the answer? Or another filter?
    Quote Quote  
  4. That's field blending but it's different than the usual NTSC/PAL conversion field blend. SRestore() won't work well on it. I don't know of any filter that will work well with that type of field blending.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks again.

Here's something odd I've just discovered. As I said above, with the clip opened in VDub and 'bob doubler' activated, there are two identical frames for each image. But when opened in MeGUI with 'Yadif (with bob)' as the filter, every single frame (and there's twice the original number) is different.

Aren't 'bob doubler' and 'yadif (with bob)' effectively the same thing? Is the fact that one shows pairs of identical frames while the other shows unique frames mean I'm getting conflicting information about the nature of the source material?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by pooksahib View Post
    with the clip opened in VDub and 'bob doubler' activated, there are two identical frames for each image.
    No, there are not. The fields alternate between a clear and blended. Are you looking at the correct pane in VirtualDub? The output pane shows the bob doubled image.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Damn. Just discovered the input pane/output pane/both panes options. Colour me red-faced. Thanks.

As regards SRestore, I'll probably use it here as it seems to have done more good than harm (see the triptych above).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Anonymous344
    After calling SeparateFields(), all the even fields look to be blends of the (clean) fields on either side. If so, why not discard the even fields and resize the odd ones? You're not losing anything.

Code:
    MPEG2Source()
    SeparateFields()
    SelectOdd()
    Spline36Resize(720,576)
    AssumeFrameBased()
    The assumption is that the whole video is like the sample and that there's no change in the pattern.
    Last edited by Anonymous344; 14th May 2016 at 14:52.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Richard1485 View Post
    After calling SeparateFields(), all the even fields look to be blends of the (clean) fields on either side.
    But that's not the case. It alternates with the even fields blended for a while, then the odd fields, then back to the even fields, etc. This type of field blending is sometimes used for 24p to 50i.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Anonymous344
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    But that's not the case. It alternates with the even fields blended for a while, then the odd fields, then back to the even fields, etc.
    In that case, I overlooked the transition. It's a shame that it alternates. Perhaps there's some way of auto-detecting the blended fields and removing them, leaving the clean ones, which could then be resized.

This type of field blending is sometimes used for 24p to 50i.
    I don't see the benefit in doing that. The result looks awful.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Richard1485 View Post
    Perhaps there's some way of auto-detecting the blended fields and removing them, leaving the clean ones
    Not really. Because halfway between the point where one field is clear, and the point where the other field is clear, both fields are equally blended. So in the those areas there are no clean fields to chose from. Here's a sample script that first builds a black image with white vertical bars, animates the bars so they are moving to the right, then performs the type of frame rate conversion used in the sample clip:

Code:
    # build a black image with white vertical bars
    BlankClip(width=1440, height=480).ConvertToYUY2()
    whitebar=Crop(0,0,16, height).ColorYUV(off_y=220)
    Overlay(last,whitebar, 0, 0)
    Overlay(last,whitebar,  360, 0)
    Overlay(last,whitebar,  720, 0)
    Overlay(last,whitebar, 1080, 0)

# animate the image so the bars move to the right, 24 pixels per frame
    Animate(0, 30, "Crop", 720,0,720,height,true,  0,0,720,height,true)
    Trim(0,29)
    last+last
    last+last

#apply tff and 24 fps properties
    AssumeTFF()
    AssumeFPS(24)

# convert to 50 fields per second with field blending
    ConvertFPS(50)
    ShowFrameNumber(x=10, y=30)
    SeparateFields()
    SelectEvery(4,0,3)
    Weave()
    # at this point we have a 25i video with field blending like the sample video

# for clarity stack the two fields vertically instead of weaving them
    SeparateFields()
    StackVertical(SelectEven(), SelectOdd())
    You can see that the top field starts out clean at frame 0, and the bottom field is blended:

Click image for larger version

Name:	f0.png
Views:	180
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	37020

By frame 12 the top field is blended and the bottom field is clean:

Name:	f12.png
Views:	182
Size:	1,014.7 KB
ID:	37021

But half way in between, around frame 6 (fields 12 and 13), both fields are blended:

Name:	mid.png
Views:	213
Size:	4.8 KB
ID:	37019

In those regions there are no clean frames to choose from so the usual techniques using SRestore() will leave a lot of those lesser blended frames.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Interesting stuff and thanks for your time. The good news is that the resulting vid after using QTGMC and SRestore is perfectly watchable so I won't be doing any more work on it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Anonymous344
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Not really. Because halfway between the point where one field is clear, and the point where the other field is clear, both fields are equally blended. So in the those areas there are no clean fields to chose from.
    Oh, I see. Judging by the result of your sample script, it's not just a single frame at the halfway point either: the fields before and after 12 and 13 look blended to a lesser degree. What a mess!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Richard1485 View Post
    it's not just a single frame at the halfway point either: the fields before and after 12 and 13 look blended to a lesser degree.
    Yes, over a period of 25 frames the top field goes from clear to slightly blended, to most blended, to slightly blended, then back to clear. The bottom field does the same but 90 degrees out of phase -- when the top field is clear the bottom field is most blended, and vice versa.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Anonymous344
    Thanks! The fact that the transition from clear to most blended is gradual led me to misinterpret what I was seeing. I appreciate your explanation, jagabo. I've never seen a video quite like this one before, and it's always good to learn something new.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Richard1485 View Post
    After calling SeparateFields(), all the even fields look to be blends of the (clean) fields on either side. If so, why not discard the even fields and resize the odd ones? You're not losing anything.

Code:
    MPEG2Source()
    SeparateFields()
    SelectOdd()
    Spline36Resize(720,576)
    AssumeFrameBased()
    The assumption is that the whole video is like the sample and that there's no change in the pattern.
    Just cueing in to say this was useful for the case I'm at. I have an NTSC source with field blends which srestore doesn't take care of correctly. The pattern is: BGBGR, where B is a blended field, G is a good field, and R is a repeated field. What worked was a variation of the above:

SeparateFields()
    SelectEvery(5,2,4)
    Spline36Resize(720,480)
    AssumeFrameBased()

Just posting it cause it may be useful to someone in the future.

Cheers,
    Quote Quote