VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all .Could any one suggest some easy to use tools that allow me cut part of mp4 video without re encoding it(so original video quality is preserved)?(I look for a tool that has player and allow me visually mark start and end of video ). I have used ffmpeg but i need to input start and end time manually which is difficult some time to obtain!Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Whether you can cut part of an mp4 without re-encoding is quite dependent not only on the tool used, but WHERE in the sequence the cuts are being made. If the cut is NOT on a keyframe (I-frame, IDR), you will ALWAYS have either a mis-timing (forced cut changed to elsewhere) or you will require re-encoding.
    Without that knowledge, nobody can tell you for sure.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Agree with Cornucopia. XmediaRecode is what I use to trim mp4's, MOV's, M2T's, TS's and so on. Make sure to cut on Key-Frames.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for replies. racer-x could you tell me the steps that doesn't involve re encoding ? I don't know how to enlarge video player on filters/preview tab and how to save the the edited video ? Can't find the save as button!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by method View Post
    could you tell me the steps that doesn't involve re encoding ?
    If you want exact cuts, down to the second, there WILL BE RE-ENCODING required.
    The End.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by method View Post
    could you tell me the steps that doesn't involve re encoding ?
    Use mpc-hc for find the specific frame, then use MKVToolNix for cut/trim without re-encode. Btw, the output file is mkv. Just remux to mp4 using ffmpeg
    Last edited by anana; 9th May 2016 at 13:21.
    Quote Quote