VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If there is a thread or specific post answering this, please give me the path to it.

Here is my specific situation: Future launch of a popular-hobby blog with many members eventually. An attractive feature would be the ability of all registered participants to link multiple middle-to-large file size videos --- perhaps totaling 300 MB for every member.

So, doing the arithmetic if my blog really takes off: 10,000 registrants X 300 MB each = 3 terabytes. Correct? My web blog pages will be stored on a server, and the total space demand on that server for JUST THE BLOG is going to be rather small.

I want to avoid paying for the added 3 terabytes on that server IF an alternative equivalent way is to use Google Drive or One Drive instead. Thus, my query: can such cloud storage with Google or Microsoft send a blog member's video files TO MY SERVER AND THEN INSTANTLY TO THE BLOG for posting?

Thanks muchly for guidance and opinions on that. I will be off the forum here until perhaps tomorrow morning, so no reply from me until then.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, in a nutshell, you can't have OneDrive or GoogleDrive "automatically" send the files to your blog. To do what you want to do, you'll want your own domain and hosting service, be careful, hosting services charge more for big hard drive space and more for the bandwidth. Host the blog and the videos on the same hosted server.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the CLOUD is a sever farm
    the difference is Access, speed, bandwidth. diversity, amount of storage , easy app instead of FTP etc.

for what you want to Do, you will need server access, not limited cloud storage, and quite possibly your own hosted domain with dedicated server space
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another major cost factor to consider (if you haven't already) is server bandwidth. Theoritically, server storage space is unlimited (just drop in another HHD, or 5 or 60), but server bandwidth IS llimited (adding additional bandwidth is extremely expensive and sometimes not physically possible).

Do a search for "unlimited bandwidth hosting" and there are numerous websites that explain why "unlimited" anything IS limited in some way,

Dreamhost is refreshingly open with what "unlimited" hosting really means: https://www.dreamhost.com/legal/unlimited-policy/

Excerpts from the webpage:

"What do you mean "Unlimited"?

What we mean is, you don’t have to worry about disk storage or network transfer when your site gets popular.

You DO still have to worry about plenty of other things though… if your site isn’t well optimized and is causing issues for others on your shared server (either because it’s pounding the CPU, hogging RAM, or doing tons of disk I/O), you may be asked to sign up for your own DreamHost Private Server.

Trust us, every host out there has exactly the same limitations… we’re just trying to be up front about them!"

"What’s not allowed in "Unlimited"?

Basically, sites whose essential purpose is to use disk or bandwidth.

When making a website, you should be thinking about "How can I make an interesting site for my visitors while minimizing my server storage, bandwidth, file system, memory, and cpu impact as much as possible?"

The result will be a better experience for your visitors, your web host, and yourself!

Here are some specific examples of things not allowed:
    •Copyrighted content to which you do not hold usage or distribution rights.
    •File upload / sharing / archive / backup / mirroring / distribution sites.
    •A site created primarily to drive traffic to another site.
    •Making your account resources available (whether for free or pay) to the general public.

DreamHost reserves the right to delete data stored on our servers that violates any of the terms in the Unlimited Policy, and, generally, in our Terms of Service. DreamHost has sole discretion to determine what does, and does not violate either policy."
    Last edited by lingyi; 8th May 2016 at 05:03.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Original poster here ---- I appreciate responses from the three members above, quite helpful on my path to understanding of the blog project goal. I will now bail out of future replies, but will read any future additions. Adios!
    Quote Quote