VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everyone,

I just unlocked a DVD player for my mother in law but I want to test it to see if it will play Region
    2 dvd's. All she has are store bought region2 DVD's.

Only problem is that I don't have any Region 2 DVD's to test if the player is working.

How can I change a Region 1 DVD or ripped ISO image to work only in a region 2 player?

I don't want a region Free disk.

OR Better,

how can I test whether or not the region 2 DVD will work in my modded region1 drive?
    Is there a region2 test ISO image I can download somewhere?

I don't want to send it to her If I can't test it here.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I asked DVD Decrypter to burn an ISO with a new Region Code 2 and it popped up this screen:
    Is it going to change the firmware of the burner or merely write the new code to the burned disk?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	36910
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ckeays View Post
    Hello everyone,

I just unlocked a DVD player for my mother in law but I want to test it to see if it will play Region
    2 dvd's. All she has are store bought region2 DVD's.

Only problem is that I don't have any Region 2 DVD's to test if the player is working.

How can I change a Region 1 DVD or ripped ISO image to work only in a region 2 player?

I don't want a region Free disk.

OR Better,

how can I test whether or not the region 2 DVD will work in my modded region1 drive?
    Is there a region2 test ISO image I can download somewhere?

I don't want to send it to her If I can't test it here.
    This makes no sense to me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. videobruger I don't want to change my drive on my PC.
    I want to change the image of a region 1 DVD disk, and write another disk with
    region 2 enabled.

In other words, I just want a way to test the dvd player i am about to ship to my mother in law, to ensure that it will play region 2 dvd's.
    The dvd player was originally a region 1 player.

Since I don't own any region2 dvd's, i wanted to create one just for testing purposes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can make a backup of a DVD in DVDShrink, after you press "Backup" you will see a popup with tabs....in those tabs you will see an option to set a specific region to the backup. Default is region free.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sorry. I think i might have misunderstood.

Open a HDD version of the disk in IfoEdit. Under VMG_MAT enter 253 for Regional Code Mask. (And perhaps copy VIDEO_TS.IFO to VIDEO_TS_BUP)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	579
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	36911
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe I am wrong but...

Let's just say that you do change that Region1 disk to Region2 and it does play on your unlocked player. But.....

Still no guarantee that those Region2 disks will play on that player. Why ?

Those disks will probably be PAL. Your modded player is probably NTSC. Not all NTSC players support PAL disks.

But maybe I am wrong.

Where is you mom-in-law. DVD players are so cheap these days that it would be much 'safer' to buy a Region2 player in her country and arrange direct shipping there.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Maybe I am wrong but...

Let's just say that you do change that Region1 disk to Region2 and it does play on your unlocked player. But.....

Those disks will probably be PAL. Your modded player is probably NTSC. Not all NTSC players support PAL disks.

But maybe I am wrong.
    You are not wrong. Some DVD players sold in NTSC countries refuse to play PAL DVDs, even if the DVD is region free. I have one. Inserting a region-free PAL DVD results in an error message, "Incompatible Disk".

I have another DVD player that plays region-free PAL DVDs, but converts the signal to be compatible with an NTSC TV. That would probably not be a problem for a "PAL" LCD TV connected by HDMI, but using an analog connection might result in a black-and-white picture because it would be an actual NTSC signal, not PAL60.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Maybe I am wrong but...

But maybe I am wrong.

Where is you mom-in-law. DVD players are so cheap these days that it would be much 'safer' to buy a Region2 player in her country and arrange direct shipping there.
    I am confident that it plays pal discs. I have some pal dvd's that are region free. I just wanted a way to change the region to any other region but region 1.

Sounds like dvdshrink is the easiest solution for me.

Thanks everyone!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ Ok. But do bear in mind u_q's comment about the tv and the connection from the player as well. (And do not forget about power-supply matters)

But you really need not bother with that ISO. If the player is Region-Free then it will play a Region2 disk regardless. But better to check with a real dvd not a burnt one.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But better to check with a real dvd not a burnt one.
    I don't have a real dvd (region2, pal) is the reason for starting the thread in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Sorry, I don't have that much idea on the issue. Would love to see the issue resolved.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ckeays View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    But better to check with a real dvd not a burnt one.
    I don't have a real dvd (region2, pal) is the reason for starting the thread in the first place.
    Borrow one from your mom-in-law then. Simples.
    Quote Quote