VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7
FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Thread
  1. Good afternoon! I am trying to open AV1 files in VirtualDub 2, but whenever I try to do so, I get this error message:

FFMPEG: Unsupported codec ([0][0][0][0]).

What do I need to do to resolve this error message so I can open my files in VD2?

Thanks you very much in advance for your assistance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MogomraZero View Post
    Good afternoon! I am trying to open AV1 files in VirtualDub 2, but whenever I try to do so, I get this error message:

What do I need to do to resolve this error message so I can open my files in VD2?

If I were you, I would open the AV1 files through Avisynth's ffms2 plugin.
    "Programmers are human-shaped machines that transform alcohol into bugs."
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Good afternoon! I am trying to open AV1 files in VirtualDub 2, but whenever I try to do so, I get this error message:

If I were you, I would open the AV1 files through Avisynth's ffms2 plugin.
    1) How would I go about doing this?
    2) Would it be frame-accurate?
    3) Would I be able to see the file's keyframes by doing so?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To get more info open the source file in Mediainfo, put it in text view, and post the info here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    To get more info open the source file in Mediainfo, put it in text view, and post the info here.
    General
    Complete name : testnew.webm
    Format : WebM
    Format version : Version 4
    File size : 273 MiB
    Duration : 8 min 17 s
    Overall bit rate : 4 602 kb/s
    Writing application : Lavf59.27.100
    Writing library : Lavf59.27.100

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AV1
    Format/Info : AOMedia Video 1
    Format profile : Main@L4.0
    Codec ID : V_AV1
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 59.940 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 10 bits
    Writing library : Lavc59.37.100 libaom-av1
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
    Color range : Limited

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : Opus
    Codec ID : A_OPUS
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel layout : L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Bit depth : 16 bits
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : -7 ms
    Writing library : Lavc59.37.100 libopus
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vdub2 doesn't support av1 videos
    Code:
    Format/Info : AOMedia Video 1
    Perhaps install Avisynth then you can use a simple script to get the file into Vdub
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by MogomraZero View Post
    1) Install AviSynth. Install the LSMASH Source filter for AviSynth. Create a script with a text editor: LWlibavVideoSource("filename.ext"). Open the AVS script in VirtualDub.

2) Yes.

3) No. And no lossless or "smart" editing. You will have to reencode.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    General
    Complete name : testnew.webm
    Format : WebM
    Format version : Version 4
    File size : 273 MiB
    Overall bit rate : 4 602 kb/s
    Writing application : Lavf59.27.100
    Writing library : Lavf59.27.100

Video
    ID : 1
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/AV1vfw
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    1) Install AviSynth. Install the LSMASH Source filter for AviSynth. Create a script with a text editor: LWlibavVideoSource("filename.ext"). Open the AVS script in VirtualDub.

2) Yes.

3) No. And no lossless or "smart" editing. You will have to reencode.
    Unfortunately, using either FFMS2 or LWlibavVideoSource to try and open the file in VD2 results in the error message "failed to get the video track". The scripts work fine with the raw uncompressed video source file. Does anyone here know what may be causing the new error message?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Run the video through MKVTOOLNIX Gui to create an mkv,
    Try that with the source filter(s)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    Run the video through MKVTOOLNIX Gui to create an mkv,
    Try that with the source filter(s)
    Sadly, that did not work - still getting the same error message.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by MogomraZero View Post

Unfortunately, using either FFMS2 or LWlibavVideoSource to try and open the file in VD2 results in the error message "failed to get the video track". The scripts work fine with the raw uncompressed video source file. Does anyone here know what may be causing the new error message?
    possibly old version of ffms2 or lsmash . 10bit 4:2:0 AV1 should open no problems with modern version

https://github.com/HomeOfAviSynthPlusEvolution/L-SMASH-Works/releases
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1982994#post1982994

You can identify I-frames with propshow for lsmash and ffms2 (if it's reported for the codec) , or ffinfo for ffms2 . (Not all I frames are necessarily keyframes, some are "open" GOP and not true keyframes) . If using avisynth, it gets decompressed, so there is no notion of "keyframes" since everything is uncompressed. The frame type refers to the original file.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

possibly old version of ffms2 or lsmash . 10bit 4:2:0 AV1 should open no problems with modern version

https://github.com/HomeOfAviSynthPlusEvolution/L-SMASH-Works/releases
    https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1982994#post1982994

You can identify I-frames with propshow for lsmash and ffms2 (if it's reported for the codec) , or ffinfo for ffms2 . (Not all I frames are necessarily keyframes, some are "open" GOP and not true keyframes) . If using avisynth, it gets decompressed, so there is no notion of "keyframes" since everything is uncompressed. The frame type refers to the original file.
    Thank you very much - I updated both of those plugins and I am now able to see my AV1 footage in VirtualDub using both methods!

Is there some documentation or tutorial video available regarding using propshow to find i-frames in a video? I just want to make sure that libaom is putting keyframes in at the intervals that I am requesting.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by MogomraZero View Post

Is there some documentation or tutorial video available regarding using propshow to find i-frames in a video? I just want to make sure that libaom is putting keyframes in at the intervals that I am requesting.
    You need to use a recent avs+ version . Just add PropShow after the source filter

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("video.webm")
    PropShow
    There will be an overlay in the top left corner with info about the video, if it's reported by the codec and read by the source filter

_PictType is the picture type, and it will report I,P or B frames
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

You need to use a recent avs+ version . Just add PropShow after the source filter

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("video.webm")
    PropShow
    There will be an overlay in the top left corner with info about the video, if it's reported by the codec and read by the source filter

_PictType is the picture type, and it will report I,P or B frames
    That is EXACTLY what I needed, and it looks like I-frames are being placed where I requested by the codec! Thank you VERY much for your assistance with this!!!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    a recent avs+ version . Just add PropShow
    Thanks for that!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Anyone know how shekh / Anton is doing ? He hasn't been active here or Sourceforge in quite a while. Hope he's ok

It would be nice to have an update to the vdub2 cacheing input driver to include AV1 (and soon VVC)
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Just add PropShow after the source filter
    Thanks for this hint. Very useful.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Anyone know how shekh / Anton is doing ? He hasn't been active here or Sourceforge in quite a while. Hope he's ok
    He responded in January to a request, so he seems to be ok but has no plans re. Vdub2, it seems.
    https://sourceforge.net/p/vdfiltermod/tickets/269/?limit=25#590c/0fe3
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Anyone know how shekh / Anton is doing ? He hasn't been active here or Sourceforge in quite a while. Hope he's ok

It would be nice to have an update to the vdub2 cacheing input driver to include AV1 (and soon VVC)
    Disappeared.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi - new here and may have missed something simple... is it possible to show the time (hh:mms) on the timeline instead of the frame numbers?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Options>Preferences, Timeline.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was looking at Options > Preferences > Timeline - it allows me to change the time format shown in the 'info text' under the timeline, but (as far as I can see) doesn't let me change the units used on the 'trackbar'.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Arrr yes, I see what you mean. When find out, let us know!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like this thread is dead but I'll give it a try.

How do you get Virtualdub2 to open sequential files under append video segment? Linked Segments is grayed out as is Open Using Input Driver (caching Input Driver). The only options are single file or Sequential: 1 file.

I like that Virtualdub2 will open files that Virtualdub refuses to open because the framerate is a millionth of a second different but Virtualdub will open sequential files that match while Virtualdub2 will only open one file at a time. That gets very tedious when you have 20 or more files to open. You end up opening the same file twice or miss a file

Right now, my only other option is to re-encode every single file and make sure the framerate is 29.9700000 and use Virtualdub.

EDIT: Then Virtualdub2 won't direct stream copy those 20 files. Never mind. This program is useless.
    Last edited by DarrellS; 12th Aug 2023 at 13:48.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post

EDIT: Then Virtualdub2 won't direct stream copy those 20 files. Never mind. This program is useless.
    On some file types,
    file/export/stream copy
    can be used
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    It looks like this thread is dead but I'll give it a try.

How do you get Virtualdub2 to open sequential files under append video segment? Linked Segments is grayed out as is Open Using Input Driver (caching Input Driver). The only options are single file or Sequential: 1 file.

I like that Virtualdub2 will open files that Virtualdub refuses to open because the framerate is a millionth of a second different but Virtualdub will open sequential files that match while Virtualdub2 will only open one file at a time. That gets very tedious when you have 20 or more files to open. You end up opening the same file twice or miss a file

Right now, my only other option is to re-encode every single file and make sure the framerate is 29.9700000 and use Virtualdub.

Avoid merging files in VDub -- if the audio track is shorter than the video, you will have an audio offset from the second file.

I remember you could get around this by adding an empty file and then truncating it. VDub2 removed part of the video track, but only part of the audio track, and the length of both tracks then matched.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried again and on the second option, it showed 15 sequential files instead of just one but when I clicked open it only opened one file.

I also tried the option File/Export/Stream Copy and it only copied the first file that I opened. Not the rest of the files I appended. Why is there a "Direct Stream Copy" option under Video if it doesn't work?

I haven't had any sync issues with any of the files that I've joined.

Another issue I do have is the cropping feature in Virtualdub2. It's ridiculous. Nothing like the crop feature in Virtualdub.

EDIT: OK, I guess there is no fixing the append feature. You have to add one avi file at a time. I got the same error about the framerate being off by .0003 but I was able to skip that file instead of going through all the files to find out which one was off .0003. I changed the input driver from Caching Input Driver to Audio Video Interleave Input Driver and the Direct Stream Copy feature under Video now works.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by W1itchseason View Post
    Hi - new here and may have missed something simple... is it possible to show the time (hh:mms) on the timeline instead of the frame numbers?
    Thanks
    Just ignore me if I've misunderstood - I'm not very techie - but these are my settings:

[Attachment 73169 - Click to enlarge]

via this dropdown:

[Attachment 73168 - Click to enlarge]

And this is what it looks like when I'm editing footage:

[Attachment 73170 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by clemenzina; 14th Aug 2023 at 06:26. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM

Another issue I do have is the cropping feature in Virtualdub2. It's ridiculous. Nothing like the crop feature in Virtualdub.
    What type of "issue" do you have with VD2's Crop feature? I use it frequently and can't visualise a problem, but then I've never used VirtualDub and hesitate to try it because the latest version is so very old.
    Quote Quote