VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi there. I have spent a lot of time researching, but haven't been able to find an answer specific to what I need (I'm sure its around here somewhere), and I'm a newbie, so here goes.
    Many people have posted about getting files from an external PVR and I am looking to do the same thing, however I don't need to decrypt them or re-record them or anything. I have a protected broadcast recorded (a sporting event of my child's team) and I have given up on trying to back it up by making a copy. Obviously, my computer doesn't recognize any files, and all I want to do is be able to copy the file so i have a backup somewhere that could be put back onto a new PVR if this one were to fail. As I said, it doesn't need to be viewable or anything.....it is just an anxiety thing at the thought of possibly losing the recording!
    So basically, I was just wondering if there was a program or a fairly easy way to get my computer to recognize the encrypted/coded files so I can make a backup of them, as is, outside of the PVR, just so I know that it is in existence.
    I know that as a last resort I can buy one of the expensive tuner systems to make a video copy......but again, last resort.
    I have a windows 8, windows 10 and also a mac air running el capitano (?), program recorded to an external drive through a Bell PVR. Sorry for the long post, but any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quite often you can't simply add files to a PVR/DVR. They won't be recognized as the PVR/DVR didn't record them. Even if it does work for some models, it quite possible that when you actually needed to perform the procedure, you may not be able to get a model that supports it.

Personally, if it's that important, I would make the effort to put it onto a easily useable format. At a minimum, get the material on the computer and simply make a backup copy or two. Again, I would take the time to put the material onto a useable format such as DVD. It can then be used in any computer or TV/DVD player. And you can keep a RAW copy for future use as well.

To get the video off the PVR, you would need a capture card (internal or external). You then connect the output of the PVR to the capture card, play the video on the PVR and capture it on the computer.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks so much for the response. I was so focussed on trying to get it OFF the PVR to back it up that I didn't really think through the feasibility of actually putting it back on.....
    I do have an old capture card from doing some home movies, an inexpensive aver media one, but since the driver is not compatible with my upgraded versions of Windows I didn't think any more of it. Also, I guess I assumed it would only work for unencrypted files like I copied before (since the ones I've seen that can do it run near $200!).
    Maybe it is worth borrowing a PC from someone who still has Windows 7 or older, or buying a recovery disk from Microsoft (since we had it initially and have the key) and reverting the operating system, that may actually be easier and worth it for the peace of mind.
    Thanks again for responding and for getting me thinking in another direction.....
    Quote Quote