VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    (If I should create two separate threads for this please advice and I will)

I just upgraded my mother's Dell Windows 7 Home 64 Bit PC to Windows 10 64 Bit Home. I'd already done this with my own system (exactly the same except mine's a home built computer) without any issues. Everything went fine on hers except for two issues:

1. Windows live Mail
    It would not originally even open as I was getting a error screen saying something to do with permissions. I decided to do a repair when I discovered she was running WLM 2011 which doesn't work with Windows 10. I uninstalled it, rebooted, and then installed 2012 which does work on mine just fine. I figured it would work now but no still the same error screen. I searched and found many possible remedies but I think I ended up unchecking something in the Properties of the WLM folder. Anyway whatever I did somewhat worked because it now opens and no error screen.

The issue I'm still having though is it asks to sign in to WLM every time you close out of it and then reopen. I did the Verify thing with Windows 10. Beside the annoying login issue WLM appears to be functioning properly she can receive and send mail just fine. I want to fix this because once logged in it does sync with her Outlook.com Contacts. Any ideas?

2. OneDrive
    Every time you open the OneDrive folder it does open but an error screen appears saying "Sorry, there was a problem signing you in". These folders are empty since she doesn't use them but error screens confuse her (she's 85) so I try to eliminate them when I can. Since OneDrive loads upon reboot she naturally gets the error screen whenever that happens.

My first thought was to just disable it but I would need something called "Local Group Policy Editor". I found out Windows 10 Home doesn't come with it but you can install it using this process https://www.itechtics.com/enable-gpedit-windows-10-home/
    I tried this on my own computer first in case it messed things up but it went find and I now have a "Local Group Policy Editor". So far so good but when I tried it on hers it didn't work. Because of her 64 Bit system it says to:
    Go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder
    Copy the following folders and files to C:\Windows\System32
    “GroupPolicy“, “GroupPolicyUsers” and gpedit.msc.

Ok in my SysWOW64 folder it does show a gpedit.msc file but hers instead shows a gpedit file so I don't have the proper file to copy over to the System32 folder. The image attached showing a gpedit.msc file is my SysWOW64 folder after installing the Group Policy Editor compared to my Mom's SysWOW64 folder (gpedit) after installing it.

On the OneDrive issue I'm good for any solution whether it be eliminating the error screen or disabling OneDrive. Any ideas?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	OneDrive Error.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	36766  

Click image for larger version

Name:	My File.png
Views:	646
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	36767  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mom's Folder.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	36768  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Thanks I was hoping someone had a simple solution to the error screen or knew the reason why my mom's installation of the Local Group Policy Editor was missing the gpedit.msc file. If no one knows how to solve the error screen then I'd prefer to use the Local Group Policy Editor is I can get it working. Why would the same download work perfectly on my PC but leaves out a file on my mothers?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry. I thought that you said you were open to a solution other than using the Group Policy Editor. The link I gave you included one. As the linked article said, One Drive is tightly integrated into Windows 10 and Microsoft chose not to make it easy to uninstall or easy for Home users to disable.

You are trying to install something that is not officially supported by Windows 10 Home. Hopefully you imaged your mother's system drive before installing the Group Policy Editor, or at least created a system restore point, so you can return her system to its original state and try installing the Group Policy Editor again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Usually_quiet I do appreciate your suggestions and the link I just get a little jittery going into the Registry. Unless I'm misunderstanding the Registry tweak it does not work with Windows 10 but maybe I'm wrong. I really wouldn't want to uninstall OneDrive just disable it or fix the error screen.

I did set a restore point before I installed the Group Policy Editor guess I didn't think about doing a restore but will give it a try and then reinstalling again.

Getting back to the error screen I wonder if it could be a permission thing although not sure how to fix that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mccoady View Post
    Usually_quiet I do appreciate your suggestions and the link I just get a little jittery going into the Registry. Unless I'm misunderstanding the Registry tweak it does not work with Windows 10 but maybe I'm wrong. I really wouldn't want to uninstall OneDrive just disable it or fix the error screen.
    The article includes a link to instructions for hiding One Drive so it doesn't appear in File Explorer: https://techjourney.net/hide-remove-onedrive-from-windows-10-file-explorer-navigation-...e-folder-tree/ ...but it requires editing the registry and apparently didn't work for everyone.

Originally Posted by mccoady View Post
    I did set a restore point before I installed the Group Policy Editor guess I didn't think about doing a restore but will give it a try and then reinstalling again.

Getting back to the error screen I wonder if it could be a permission thing although not sure how to fix that.
    Did you install as administrator? I know I'm being Captain Obvious, but signing in with an administrator account isn't sufficient with newer version of Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found another link that may be useful:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/225973/how-to-disable-onedrive-and-remove-it-from-file-explor...on-windows-10/

It has instructions on how to stop OneDrive from loading on start up and how to prevent it from syncing. It also has a scripts you can download to perform or undo the registry hack that removes One Drive from File Explorer.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well I think I installed as an administrator but I can't remember now that you mention it... I will definitely make sure when I reinstall. I know when I installed it on my computer I did but can't be sure on my moms.

Oh didn't see your last post. You know she doesn't even have an icon for OneDrive and it doesn't appear to be hidden. If I go to Notifications & Actions and select which icons appear in the task bar it is listed but it doesn't matter if I check it to appear or not... it's still not there.

The only way I was able to open it was to create a shortcut from the file location which opens the folder. Guess I don't know how to get to the OneDrive settings without the icon.
    Last edited by mccoady; 25th Apr 2016 at 16:35.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I accidently stumbled upon the fix. I opened the file location of OneDrive and there was a installer so I thought what the heck and clicked to install. When finished I could now open the folder without an error screen and I now had an OneDrive icon in the task bar. Weird something apparently happened in the Windows 10 upgrade that it did not fully install OneDrive.

Thanks usually_quiet for trying to help with OneDrive!

Now if someone could help with Windows Live Mail I would really appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This happens in Outlook all the time, the user profile is what actually becomes corrupted. Here's my suggest fix.

1. Open Windows Live Mail and sign in with your password
    2. Click on the "File" tab at the top
    3. Click on "Options"
    4. Click on "Email Accounts"
    5. You will need to remove the email accounts, click on each one and click the "Remove" button
    6. Close Windows Live Mail and Reboot the computer
    7. Open Windows Live Mail and setup your email account(s)
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @sum_guy I just remembered this:

I don't quite understand how this "Verify' works but a week ago I tried to do this on her computer and I got this screen. I never looked at it again and basically forgot about it. I don't remember having a waiting period when I did the Verify on my Windows 10 can you enlighten me to as what's going on? It won't let me cancel it and start over in case it would speed things up.

I can't remember exactly what I did going through the Verify process but I think I tried to change her alternate email address because she no longer has that email.

I'd be willing to bet this is what's causing the WLM logging issue what do you or anyone else think? Knowing this do you still think removing and setting back up her email account will make a difference?

Name:	Windows 10 Verify.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	36782  

Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try this link, I haven't personally run across this issue but it obviously happens.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/account-security-password-information
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    Try this link, I haven't personally run across this issue but it obviously happens.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/account-security-password-information
    I'd already been there and it will not let me do anything.

Name:	Can't Access Site Now.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	36783  

Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When you use my link, look at the bottom of that page, there are links for chat or email MS Support for this issue. Give it try, if they fix it, let us know!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sum_guy View Post
    When you use my link, look at the bottom of that page, there are links for chat or email MS Support for this issue. Give it try, if they fix it, let us know!
    Ok will give it a try and report any solution. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well never accomplished a thing chatting with Microsoft after waiting for over an hour he said Windows Live Mail was no longer supported and he couldn't help me. I then tried their help forum but that was a waste of time too. You usually get someone that can't understand your question or posts links for you to figure out yourself. The only time anyone truly gets any help there is if someone other than anybody to do with Microsoft offers their help.

Guess I'll have to wait until 5/18 to see if the Verify goes through and clears up the situation but that's only a 50/50 thing it will fix this login thing.
    Quote Quote