I’m facing a strange issue with MPC-HC video decoding.
I recently moved from a PC (Windows 8) to another one (Windows 10), and installed MPC-HC on my new PC with the exact same settings as on my older PC, in order to get the same output.
The problem is that the exact same MKV file plays very differently on my new PC : there’s a lot of artifacts, especially just after a scene change, and the general perception is that there’s a lack of details and high lights are burnt, which is confirmed by screen capturing.
The oddest part of this problem is that the same file, played on my new PC, but within the native Windows 10 player (« Movies and TV ») gives the same output as my old PC (except a very very light difference in brightness, hardly noticeable except when switching from an image to another quickly).
My setup : Surface pro 4 with Intel Iris Graphics 540, Windows 10, MPC-HC 64-bits 1.7.10. I use the native LAV filters, with native DXVA2 hardware acceleration.
So far I tried this with no success
- using my TV as an external display
- change hardware acceleration settings (« none », « Intel QuickSync », …)
I guess it’s neither a graphic chipset issue nor a MPC-HC issue (old and new PC can give the same output) but a sort of incompatibility between MPC-HC and Windows 10.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Last edited by GD314; 25th Apr 2016 at 15:47.
There's no problem with MPCHC and Win10. Go to the graphics card's setup applet and disable all the enhancement like Sharpness, Noise Reduction, Skin Tone, Adaptive Contrast Enhancement, etc. And set the video proc amp controls to neutral. If that doesn't fully clear up the problem go to MPCHC's View -> Options -> Playback -> Output and change the DirectShow Video output device. Try different ones until you find what works. You have to exit and restart MPCHC each time you change device.
Thank you Jabago for your answer.
I doubted changing the video card settings would be relevant, as the native Windows 10 app ("Movies and TV") plays the video flawlessly. Indeed, all settings were set to default.
I tried all renderers as you suggested and here are the results :
- 5 of them can reproduce the video correctly
- among these 5, only one allows to get subtitles to display (VMR 9 renderless)
- none of them uses video acceleration (DXVA2), which results in a CPU usage of approximately 20%
Before I tried to change it, the renderer was set to "EVR custom presenter" with DXVA2 as hardware decoder (internal LAV filters). The CPU usage was then 2%.
With the new renderer setting (VMR 9 renderless), I have to change the hardware decoder to Intel QuickSync to see the CPU usage drop to 7%.
I notice that the video display issue occurs with all renderers that can use DXVA2 (green tick under the selection list), whatever hardware decoder you actually choose. But this is not true for madVR, which I installed : with hardware decoder set to DXVA2, the video display has issues (6% CPU usage). With Intel QuickSync, the video display is ok (10% CPU usage).
With DXVA2, the video display always has issues. The only way to get it work correctly is to use Intel QuickSync (with VMR 9 renderless or madVR).
I don't know where the problem comes from, but thank you again as your answers helped me find a way to display the video perfectly, with a reasonable CPU usage.
Here are images before and after changing the settings :
Last edited by GD314; 7th May 2016 at 13:32.
All cursors are set to zero.
I reset : same results. EVR still won't display the video the way it's expected to be.