VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm looking for a portable device, that connects with USB so i can hook it to external non-PC media players. I dont care for recording features, only that it reads discs well, is quite, and doesnt have any power issues and malfunctions.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do a internet search for ' Laptop external DVD players ' and you should get some hits on what you are asking about.

The laptop versions can run on the 5VDC that USB uses. Many of them are also burners, but you don't need to use that function.

One problem I see is your device recognizing a external DVD drive. Most will recognize a USB thumb drive or a SD card or even a external 2.5" hard drive, but not so likely a DVD drive.

If you can find one to try before purchasing, probably better. EDIT: Other posters should also note your locating when replying
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm looking for a specific tested product. A generic internet search will give me a bunch of unfiltered results and It seems most of them are faulty and have crappy read capabilities.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Your media players, as noted, are not likely to recognize an optical drive hooked up by USB. You must also realize that external drives are designed to work with the software of computers. Its not a simple matter of reading the disc, you have to be able to decrypt it as well, which is what DVD player software on computers do. This is assuming you want to play commercially made discs, of course.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The LG GP65NB60 (black), GP65NW60 (white), GP65NS60 (silver), GP65NG60 (gold) were the best choice among the portable USB drives I saw. Some reviewers specifically noted that they had power issues with another portable DVD drive but not this one.

...but as already mentioned, few media players have the ability to access external DVD drives. Unless you have a Dune HD Base 3D, or another media player that specifically lists external optical drives as supported devices, you are wasting your time.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Apr 2016 at 12:04.
    Quote Quote