VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know how to capture the video to avi file.
    But I want to capture it to mp4 file using the filter x264vfw - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec filter.
    I want to compress the video to mp4.

This is how i'm capturing the video to avi file:Click image for larger version

Name:	elgatographeditavi.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	36639

And this is how i'm trying to capture it to mp4. In the end when i click on the stop button i see mp4 file on my hard disk like 8MB size in this case but when trying to play it on windows media player or apple player quicktime i'm getting errors that it can't play the file. And i can play mp4 files on my pc it's not codec problems i can play on the players mp4 files.

Click image for larger version

Name:	elgatographeditmp4.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	36640

The file size on the hard disk the mp4 is 2,260 KB but i can't play it with any of the players i have.
    I can't figure out what is wrong with the graph i built.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There's no reason to capture via the DirectShow Capture fulter. The Game Capture HD sends x264 compressed video and aac compressed audio down the USB cable. The DirectShow capture filter then decompresses that to uncompressed RGB video and uncompressed PCM audio. So all you're doing is taking the compressed video, decompressing it and converting to RGB, then converting back to YV12 and recompressing it. It's a waste of time and CPU power, and a reduction in quality.
    Quote Quote  
  3. jagabo thanks.

Is there any other way then capture the video and audio to a file ? I mean the legato software does it when i'm using legato software it's saving mp4 file to the hard disk.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Chocolade View Post
    jagabo thanks.

Is there any other way then capture the video and audio to a file ? I mean the legato software does it when i'm using legato software it's saving mp4 file to the hard disk.
    The ElGato software doesn't use the DirectShow filter to capture. It takes the incoming compressed video and audio streams directly from the USB port and simply muxes them into the output file (MP4 or TS). It only uses the DirectShow filter to display the video on-screen. As far as I can tell there is no way (aside from reverse engineering their software to figure out how they get the raw data from the USB port) to capture and mux the compressed data with some other software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Late reply, but I would guess that the MPEG-TS pin of the Elgato Game Capture HD filter (shown above) outputs a compressed and muxed stream that could be written straight to a file.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hmm. When I had mine set up it didn't have an MPEG-TS output. Must be new drivers?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i know your invested in elgato hardware
    but an HDMI cloner box, records direct to USB flash drive, in mp4 format, no conversion needed, no PC software or HD needed for recording

just use your pc for viewing or editing
    Quote Quote