VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am compressing some files that are 1.66:1 ratio and I can't decide what is the best resolution to use. I generally prefer to reduce my encodes to 720p but I can't decide how to handle these ones.

The way I see it there are 2 choices: 1280x770 or 1195x720. Both result in approx. 1.66:1 image.

I'm just after some opinions on this one because I realise there is no right or wrong - just different options!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    *Deleted*

I'm tired and not thinking straight.
    Last edited by KarMa; 18th Apr 2016 at 06:35.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Standard practice, while still calling a video 720p, is a 1280 width for widescreen and a 720 height for not widescreen, but what I do depends on the amount of picture detail. I downscale until doing so results in a loss of fine detail. Usually 720p's the limit but I've re-encoded some really old black and white video at a lower resolution such as 576p or 540p. Or I've used 900p, which for 1.66 would be about 1494x900. Does that help?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks to you both. I kind of knew that *x720 was technically more correct than 1280x* but I wanted some opinions.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Dragging up my old thread....
    I have a 1.66:1 DVD that I want to encode anamorphic and I can't work out what resolution to use. What would you guys do?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Crop off the black borders and use the same sampling aspect ratio as the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You don't have a 1.66:1 dvd, though. Dvd only comes as 4:3 or 16:9. If the title was originally a different AR and was padded to accommodate the dvd format, and you now have a different (original?) AR, the file has been reencoded.

Scott
    Quote Quote