VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I recently encoded and muxed a bunch of A/V files into MKV with MKVMerge, and found one with a damaged GOP. I'm not entirely convinced that it's MKVMerge's fault, as it could be a few other things. To try to stave off data corruption I do use Teracopy to copy my files, and use the CRC error checking function always.

Just wondering what MKVMerge uses to check to make sure the video and audio is copied without errors, if MKVMerge even has such abilities. I've searched Google without really finding anything besides this Doom9 thread:http://forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-164388.html

Seems like the only method would be to mux into MKV, and then demux the files out just to CRC/SHA check them, which would take forever with many files.
    Last edited by KarMa; 18th Apr 2016 at 00:29.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How do you check for damages gops? So I can test and see if have any problems with my mkvmerged mkvs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    How do you check for damages gops? So I can test and see if have any problems with my mkvmerged mkvs.
    I found it by chance the old fashion way, simply by watching them myself. Every so often a video I'm playing will have a decoding problem, caused by the HDD not providing the video in time or the CPU is overloaded. But this particular GOP error persisted when attempting to play in different players, on repeated attempts, defragmenting the file (which it did not really need), and even at reduced playback speed.

If someone has a better/faster way of finding errors I'd certainly like to know.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Can you provide a short clip with the damaged GOP so I can see it? I haven' seen something like that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Are you absolutely certain it wasn't a decoding problem when the source was being re-encoded?
    Not that I find problems with encodes much.... almost never.... but if I do see something that looks like a glitch or blocking or what seems to be frames that aren't being decoded properly etc, it's invariably a problem with the source.
    Quote Quote