I hope I've got the right forum. I looked into this a few years ago, so I imagine there might be new tools now.

I'm going to be away from home for a week and I'm fine with taking my 2nd HDD from inside my desktop with me on the trip, but since I watch things on my media device at home by connecting via ethernet to the computer, I thought there might be a way to access my internal hdd online and stream that video/audio content to myself pn my laptop if I leave my computer on.

Specs of note:
- I'll have WiFi where I go, probably from an ADSL internet box, possibly fiber.
- At home, I'm on Fiber. We get 200 Mb/s down and 10 up.
- None of these are massive uncompressed video files, but they are HD mk4 or h264 files.
- My desktop an dlaptop are both running Windows 10 with decent specs, neither is a sagging old computer.

I know there's Plex, and it's been a while since I played with it. The thing I didn't like about Plex is that it tried to organise my video files. It wouldn't see some things that I didn't have named "properly". And it was trying to add artwork and summaries and all this other crap I don't need. It was more than what a user like me needs. Obviously it's not the software that's the problem, it's that I don't need a media manager.

What kind of solution is best suited for me if I want to just tap into my computer from outside? I don't need a media player experience with a full GUI. Even just seeing my desktop folders and double clicking stuff into MPC on my laptop is fine. Is there anything that will really give me good data transfer rates for non-stutter playback or is nothing that sophisticated yet? Yes, I know the internet speed and size of the actual data being transferred is more important.

Thank you!!