VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey there
    I'm a noobie and started using a Sony HDRPJ540 camcorder with an SD card inserted that I hadn't formatted (didn't know it had to be). Recorded lots of important stuff but when I took out the SD card and put it in my computer, it was empty. I got no warning on the screen when I recorded, it just seemed to be recording, red light came on etc. So has it recorded to an internal memory? And if so, how do I access that?
    Please, I know I'm probably a moron, but I didn't know SD cards need to be formatted. I just want to know if all my footage is in the camera instead.
    Help me Obiwan Kenobi, you're my only hope!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This will be no consolation to you but 'Always read the manual before use'

Even if, and I doubt there is, internal memory it would not be large enough to record much. And, again, the manual will tell you.

Do not have a manual ? Then most are available online or if the camera is not so old then Sony support could provide it direct.

As for the SD card, it is no different to any form of digital storage. You would not try to record on a HDD without formatting it would you ?

Or even do a quick test recording. The camera should provide playback.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sony cameras (like most other manufacturers) always give you a warning when a card is unformatted or incorrectly formatted. It will happen when you first place the card in the camera.

If you recorded to the internal drive you should be able to access the clips by plugging the camera directly into your computer via USB. The 32GB internal memory in that camera should hold close to 2 hours of material at highest quality. Switching between the internal memory and the SD card is accomplished with the camera's on-screen menu.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi DB83. I didn't have the manual because I borrowed the camera to record some auditions for a tv show and was given a new sd card to put them. I didn't have time to fully check the camera and just started recording. I got no warning to say 'sd card not formatted' or similar and it seemed to record ok. The 'rec' symbol came on, red light etc. So I'm hoping that smrpix is right and the clips defaulted to an internal memory. I had to leave the camera at the facility I was filming at took the sd card away with me but before I left I couldn't work out how to look at the clips in camera so I took thevcard home and made my horrified discovery it was empty. Hence this panicked thread! I'll drive back to the facility tomorrow (miles away! ) and see if they're on that camera fingers crossed. Thanks for your comments. Much appreciated. And yes, DB83 I would normally read a manual but didn't have one in this case and I assumed you could simply put the card in and away you go. Definitely got no prompt from the camera so I'm just hopeful it has an internal drive that's got everything. I'll let you know how I get on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Let's hope so.

The people you filmed will not be too pleased if you draw a blank.
    Quote Quote  
  6. From what you're saying the card was probably fine, you just didn't direct the camera to record to it. With luck the material is safe on the internal memory. You can transfer the internal memory to the card and then take that home if it helps.
    Quote Quote