VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I'm looking for a software to make multiple selections on a long audio track (seven hours) and save them as a new single file.

I've already contacted the support team of Audacity and Total Recorder software, but there is no simple way to achieve what I need with their soft.

Can someone please suggest an alternative solution ?

Thank you in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. I wonder what type of audio it is?

You could probably remux it as an MKA with MKVMergeGUI while using the splitting function, then extract the audio from the individual MKVs with MKVCleaver if need be. You could open and split MP3s with Mp3DirectCut. It'll also split raw AAC streams. They're all lossless options.

Nero Wave Editor has "Edit/Insert Track Split" and "Edit/Save Tracks As Files" menus. I have an old version that came with the Nero7 suite but I'm pretty sure there's a free standalone version.

Almost any wave editor should have a split function, although I can only vouch for Nero.
    http://www.wave-editor.com/
    http://www.wavosaur.com/
    http://filehippo.com/download_nero_wave_editor/

Or you can do it with Notepad and any audio player with support for cue files and a conversion function. A cue file is just a text file with a cue extension. The following opens an audio file named "Audio File.mp3" as five individual tracks. You could open it with foobar2000 (for example) and convert each track as you would individual files. If the source was lossless (wave file or flac etc) and you converted to a lossless format, the end result would be the same as splitting.

REM DATE 2016
    PERFORMER "Someone"
    TITLE "This Is The Title"
    FILE "Audio File.mp3" WAVE
    TRACK 01 AUDIO
    TITLE "Part 1"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    TRACK 02 AUDIO
    TITLE "Part 2"
    INDEX 01 04:18:17
    TRACK 03 AUDIO
    TITLE "3rd Part"
    INDEX 01 09:45:19
    TRACK 04 AUDIO
    TITLE "4th Part"
    INDEX 01 15:19:70
    TRACK 05 AUDIO
    TITLE "End"
    INDEX 01 20:39:52
    Last edited by hello_hello; 14th Apr 2016 at 08:16.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hello Hello,

keep in mind that I don't need to split the file (I already use mp3DirectCut for this) but I need to make multiple selections and save them, eg:

select audio track from minute 7 to 8, then from minute 50 to 52, and so on multiple times on the same track, than save the whole selections made as a new single file.

File type is mp3.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by glvid View Post
    keep in mind that I don't need to split the file (I already use mp3DirectCut for this) but I need to make multiple selections and save them
    Split and save vs. Mark and export = same result.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Also, all the better NLEs, DAWs and Audio Editors allow you to save & reuse clip regions (ProTools, Logic, SoundForge, Audition, Nuendo, Reaper, Sonar,...).

If your needs are expanding beyond simple/free audio editors' capabilities, maybe it's time to move on up. You won't ever have THAT problem again.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Also, all the better NLEs, DAWs and Audio Editors allow you to save & reuse clip regions (ProTools, Logic, SoundForge, Audition, Nuendo, Reaper, Sonar,...).

If your needs are expanding beyond simple/free audio editors' capabilities, maybe it's time to move on up. You won't ever have THAT problem again.

Scott
    I'm not a professional in this field and I need a simple program to do only the action needed in a simple manner.

If the program you have listed have a free trial version I may consider using one of the suggested software.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If these are voice/speech recordings......you just convert them back to .wav and use CDWave. You'll take a quality hit but with voice recordings it's barely noticeable.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by glvid View Post
    Hello Hello,

keep in mind that I don't need to split the file (I already use mp3DirectCut for this) but I need to make multiple selections and save them, eg:

select audio track from minute 7 to 8, then from minute 50 to 52, and so on multiple times on the same track, than save the whole selections made as a new single file.

File type is mp3.
    It might be easier to delete the sections you don't want and save what's left as a new file. I don't think there's a way to select individual sections and save them all as a single file as such, but you can copy and paste.
    Open an instance of MP3DirectCut. Open another instance. Use the second one to open the MP3. Select a section you want to keep. Edit/Copy. Switch to the first instance of MP3DirectCut. Edit/Past. Repeat the process as many times as required. Save the sections pasted into the first instance of MP3DirectCut as a new MP3.

You can highlight a particular section for copying or deleting straight away, or you can set multiple edit points first by clicking "cut" when the selection length is zero. ie navigate to a certain spot, click the "set begin" selection button and then click the "cut" button. That'll set an edit point without cutting anything. Repeat the process for each edit point. When you're done, you can select any section between edit points for copying or deletion.

If you set edit points, maybe save a project file before you start deleting sections (a mpd file rather than a cue file will save everything in it's current state). That way if you delete sections to save what's left as a new MP3, by loading the project file you can start again without needing to re-create all the edit points.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 16th Apr 2016 at 03:25.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    It might be easier to delete the sections you don't want and save what's left as a new file. I don't think there's a way to select individual sections and save them all as a single file as such, but you can copy and paste.
    Open an instance of MP3DirectCut. Open another instance. Use the second one to open the MP3. Select a section you want to keep. Edit/Copy. Switch to the first instance of MP3DirectCut. Edit/Past. Repeat the process as many times as required. Save the sections pasted into the first instance of MP3DirectCut as a new MP3.
    This may be the right solution ...
    Quote Quote  
  11. ... this method seems to work even with Total Recorder
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by glvid View Post
    ... this method seems to work even with Total Recorder
    This method will work with ANY audio editor.
    Quote Quote  
  13. [QUOTE=smrpix;2441494]
    Originally Posted by glvid View Post
    This method will work with ANY audio editor.
    Yes, it's a simple copy and past...

The solution was fairly easy
    Quote Quote