VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    This is strange... suddenly Firefox 45.1 will play Youtube vids but not with audio.

Other programs on my laptop like VLC will still play audio & video just fine.
    I tried Youtube with Chrome on the same Toshiba, which also plays just fine,
    but now there is a notice on Chrome that Vista is no longer supported , so no more updates.

(I should explain this is a dual boot machine, with the only ever-running, never given
    a lick of trouble copy of Vista in existence. The other partition is Mint (which sometimes acts up,
    but has been on so long I don't think it is involved...

So I'm looking for recommendations;
    I know I can delete and reinstall, but this Firefox has any number of passwords remembered
    that I don't; and Firefox has something called refresh ; which is supposed to retain bookmarks
    and passwords but delete all the add-ons (I just don't think it is an add-on problem.)

What do you guys think?
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Firefox is a source of endless headaches, so why not simply switch to Pale Moon?

As for Vista... yeah, even Classic Shell does not support it anymore
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the getback, L; I run on several flavors of linux plus windows; and Firefox is cross-platform enough to be helpful (altho on the Pi they cal it Iceweasel).

I keep Vista breathing for a couple proprietary programs that I use frequently and know well.

As far as Pale Moon, there are contraindications:
    Pale Moon is developed to take advantage of newer processors in a very significant manner. If you are still stuck on a pokey Pentium III or other SSE-only x86 processor, Pale Moon will not run and that's a sign that you are due for a hardware upgrade.
    http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/review-pale-moon-web-browser-for-windows/

As far as speed, my fastest for both start-up and shutdown is the Raspberry Pi 3B at under 8 seconds and 5 seconds; followed by Mint, then Ubuntu, Vista is closer to a minute, sometimes two, and then newer 'please wait' Windows far in the rear.
    Quote Quote  
  4. 45.0.1 (Firefox) sound OK here. So it must be some other issue. 45.0.2 is out. Try that version.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are all of your extensions and plugins up-to-date?

Try starting in Safe Mode (which runs without the extensions, I think the plugins as well, plus disables one or two other things, for troubleshooting), and see if the problem persists.

Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode

If you don't have the same problem while running Firefox in Safe Mode, then the problem likely lies with one of the extensions/plugins or acceleration settings.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys, Safe mode has brought back the sound, but I'd deleted most of the disabled thing that accumulated, and there are a couple I don't recognize sand/or that apparently have no delete capability: Java Deployment Toolkit 8.0.77.3; and some kinda Yahoo tab 'helper'
    Quote Quote  
    Some sort of cave with bats flying around
    Search PM
    Firefox 45 for me broke alot of my add-ons so i had to downgrade the other day because they never got updated my advice is not to update to it if you can but its up to the end user at the end of the day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I had to go to the Refresh option, because the New Tab by Yahoo (which installed itself without my knowledge) is suspicious- it refuses to let itself be deleted, only disabled. Refresh did save my passwords and bookmarks at least, but I may still have to reinstall...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Firefox 44 broke some things for me so I reverted to 43, which generally works OK. I haven't ventured to try 45 yet. I'm having occasional audio problems with 43 although it usually plays utube sound.

I'm afraid there are too many different op systems in different flavors, and many different versions of Firefox, to expect 100% compatibility anymore. I feel lucky that it still works at all on my XP box with a non-SSE2 processor, but it does! Works faster and uses less RAM in Safe mode (all add-ons disabled). Also works generally OK on a W8.1 box.

IE is a dead end now, and Chrome was never my cup of tea.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I refused to ever use IE after M$ shamefully stabbed Netscape Navigator in the back; so I have a certain loyalty to Mozilla.
    I do find it strange that Ubuntu & Mint both have fully fledged Firefox, but Debian-based Raspian needs to have it crippled & the name changed to Ice Weasel?

Of all the general OSs right now, I think I prefer Mint. But for home theatre, I gotta hand it to the Pi running Kodi- 2 watts, no fans, 1080p HDMI for any size home screen...
    Quote Quote  
  11. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ahhaa View Post
    I refused to ever use IE after M$ shamefully stabbed Netscape Navigator in the back; so I have a certain loyalty to Mozilla.
    But the truth is, Firefox does not look like Netscape. Seamonkey does.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Seamonkey is fine; but Navigator was all about building community; in fact they bundled the superb WYSIWYG Fusion website building software with it as well as PSP 3. These days, Firefox has tens of thousands of enthusiasts involved; it has spawned Thunderbird, Sunbird, and the awsome Lightbeam...
    Quote Quote