VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!

I borrowed my friends GoPro Hero 4 Black this weekend when I was in Whistler skiing. When I got home to unload all of my footage, 90% of the files where corrupted. I think i've tired 10 different softwares to try to recover my videos. But it seems that none are able to do it.
    I ran the broken files through a Hex editor and it seems that the files are just made up with 0000 0000 0000 but the videos are around 400mb - 3gb each, so there must be some info there? Or is it totally impossible to recover the files?
    Its a mix of .mp4's and .jpeg's, even the pictures are broken and are also made up with 0000 0000 0000 according to the hex editor. I have some videos and pictures that do work though.

Any advice is much appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't have own a Hero, but I've used them.

First piece of advice: if the memory card has a write-protect tab, use it. It is very easy to start using various recovery tools and end up mistakenly altering the original files.

Second piece of advice (although you are probably already doing this): try using the GoPro software to download the files from the camera. I usually avoid doing that and just do a copy/paste from the camera card. However, with my Sony Action Cam, there are some files that seem to require some "help" from the Sony Action Cam software to get everything across (e.g., you can't get the location information without using their software).

Hopefully someone with hands-on experience with your camera will have some more concrete suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If it's just zeroes it does not contain anything.

But try Graus video repair tool(choose a broken video and a working video) and/or recover_mp4_to_h264 (command line software).
    Quote Quote  
  4. www.goprorecovery.co.uk

Specifically designed to recover deleted GoPro hero files from the SD memory chip. Will handle files with literally hundreds of fragments. Free demo
    Quote Quote