VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an old Toshiba TV and have an old Magnavox DVD/VCR Recorder/Player hooked together. We are now being forced to get a DTV converter box because of FCC digital changes. Hooking up instructions are Coax cable from wall into DTV box into TV. I am hoping I can somehow still use my DVD/VCR Recorder/Player. I already tried hooking the Coax cable from wall into DVT box, then into Recorder then from Recorder to TV. All I got was snow.
    Is anyone familiar with this problem? I'm told I have to have a DVR or TiVo and that is my only way to record?
    Please, does anyone have any ideas.
    Greatly appreciate any help. Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i suspect, your cable company has gone all digital
    the DTV box output is clear "un-encrypted" QAM digital signal NOT old Analog TV like the tv and vcr recivers
    IF this is true
    you will need to add a digital to analog converter box, in between the DTV box and the VCR/TV or buy a new TV
    Quote Quote  
  3. theewizard...thank you so much for your instant reply. Yes, I was told my company has gone digital. Not only that, if I want to do any recording, I have to use THEIR equipment. Thank you Suddenlink .
    I'm not sure what you mean in your last line..."add a digital to analog converter box, in between the DTV box and the VCR/TV" . I know a lot of stuff and am pretty good at figuring out things but am still vague with the newer terminology. Sorry!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AZDVDPLAYERUSER View Post
    I have an old Toshiba TV and have an old Magnavox DVD/VCR Recorder/Player hooked together. We are now being forced to get a DTV converter box because of FCC digital changes. Hooking up instructions are Coax cable from wall into DTV box into TV. I am hoping I can somehow still use my DVD/VCR Recorder/Player. I already tried hooking the Coax cable from wall into DVT box, then into Recorder then from Recorder to TV. All I got was snow.
    Is anyone familiar with this problem? I'm told I have to have a DVR or TiVo and that is my only way to record?
    Please, does anyone have any ideas.
    Greatly appreciate any help. Thank you
    First, let's put the blame where it belongs. The FCC doesn't have the legal authority to require your cable provider to encrypt its digital channels or get rid of analog channels to force the use of converter boxes. This is purely the cable provider's choice. It discourages theft of service and allows the cable provider to make more money from equipment rental fees. Cable company customer service is especially prone to telling customers this story to get people off their backs.

The DVD recorder can still record the RF output from the converter, but it will only be able to record whatever channel the converter is tuned to. I did this for years. Since you are using RF, set your DVD recorder to channel 3. If that doesn't work, try setting your DVD recorder to channel 4. Connections are RF from the wall to converter box. RF from converter box to DVD recorder. RF from DVD recorder to TV.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Apr 2016 at 01:04. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  5. theewizard...I didn't realize but that's the story my cable company is giving out. They blame it on the FCC.
    Anyway, I will try what you suggest. Thank you. Does ..."only be able to record whatever channel the converter is tuned to"... that mean if I am watching TV and trying to record another channel, I cannot watch a different channel than I'm recording ?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    theewizard...I didn't realize but that's the story my cable company is giving out. They blame it on the FCC.
    Anyway, I will try what you suggest. Thank you. Does ..."only be able to record whatever channel the converter is tuned to"... that mean if I am watching TV and trying to record another channel, I cannot watch a different channel than I'm recording ?
    Yes, you can only watch the same channel that you are recording. The converter boxes can only tune one channel at a time.

If you want to watch one channel while recording another, you need two converter boxes. One for the DVD recorder and one for the TV.

I'm usually_quiet BTW.
    Quote Quote  
  7. theewizard...that's what I was afraid of. But, you have given me much info to look into.
    hahaha...then I am thrilled you came out of hiding for some greatly appreciated info. Thank you so much!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't realize but that's the story my cable company is giving out. They blame it on the FCC.
    That's pretty slimy of them.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I agree KarMa. And, they say as of May 3, everything will go digital I have older equipment but it's good equipment and has worked wonderful for years and is now going to be obsolete!! As I mentioned, if I want to record anything, I need a DVR or a TiVo. Of course, it has to be their equipment. AND... if I go TiVo, I have to also have their internet service. I want to stay with my present internet company so my only option is a DVR...(from them).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree KarMa. And, they say as of May 3, everything will go digital I have older equipment but it's good equipment and has worked wonderful for years and is now going to be obsolete!! As I mentioned, if I want to record anything, I need a DVR or a TiVo. Of course, it has to be their equipment. AND... if I go TiVo, I have to also have their internet service. I want to stay with my present internet company so my only option is a DVR...(from them).
    A TiVo needs Internet service to download the guide, but you might not need to change providers. Dial-up would not be fast enough, but any high-speed Internet service is supposed to work, even DSL in most cases. You would need a router and a home network. (Ethernet or wireless would work.) The big drawback for most people is the price. TiVo charges $12.50/month for guide service. Without guide service, the TiVo won't work. You also need to rent a CableCARD from your cable service provider. The rental fee can be anything from free to almost as much as a cable box rental.

I don't have a TiVo or a cable DVR. I have a CableCARD tuner that I use with a home theater PC, but a TiVo is an easier solution for most people who do not want to use a cable company DVR.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Apr 2016 at 01:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You would'nt happen to have the notice where they blame the FCC would you AZDVDPLAYERUSER? Would be interesting to see it.

Also some ironic reading, http://amarillo.com/stories/012109/bus_12352101.shtml
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi theewizard, I don't really mind using a DVR or TiVo, it just irritates me that my "good" equipment that has worked so well all these years is now obsolete. And yes, it's $15 for the TiVo and I was told the same for DVR. When I get down to the nuts and bolts, we'll see exactly how much. I will still use my unit for playing any DVD/VCR's that I have already and for watching and copying any camcorder videos. I'm sad that I won't be able to record anything and maybe keep for future viewing.

KarMa, no I don't have a notice, I've only been told over the phone... nothing in writing. I will go look at the link you posted, thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
  13. KarMa, that's extremely interesting. Well, I guess it didn't stop my cable company from proceeding. This was written in 2009. That's about the time my parents who use Comcast had to attach little boxes to their TV's. Obviously Suddenlink has been able to put the off since they are going ahead with it on May 3
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    theewizard...I didn't realize but that's the story my cable company is giving out. They blame it on the FCC.
    Plus, they can in fact raise your rates without actually raising them. Two bucks a month rental fees (<- after 2 years) for the cheesey little boxes they send, thats a joke! Only thing you can do with them is change the color of subtitles.

Its all about the almighty $

-c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The $ is all we got ...
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi theewizard, I don't really mind using a DVR or TiVo, it just irritates me that my "good" equipment that has worked so well all these years is now obsolete. And yes, it's $15 for the TiVo and I was told the same for DVR. When I get down to the nuts and bolts, we'll see exactly how much. I will still use my unit for playing any DVD/VCR's that I have already and for watching and copying any camcorder videos. I'm sad that I won't be able to record anything and maybe keep for future viewing.
    If you want to thank me you are welcome, but I'm usually_quiet, not theewizard.

theewizard suggested you could watch TV with no box by getting a new TV with a digital tuner, which may not be true now, and probably wouldn't be true indefinitely even if it is true now. Digital TV tuners won't tune encrypted digital cable channels, and full encryption is usually the next step after analog service is eliminated.

I have Comcast service. Comcast dropped analog service entirely in 2010. In 2013 Comcast encrypted all their digital channels, which meant I could not longer watch any digital channels with just my flatscreen TV. Note that the FCC didn't require any of this, but the FCC can't forbid it either. The FCC has far greater authority over TV delivered over-the-air than it has over cable TV, IPTV, or satellite TV.

The FCC did try to require cable TV services to provide basic boxless digital service up until late 2012, but in the end they had to give up on the basis that having any boxless service available facilitates theft of service. Since they allow satellite TV services to encrypt their digital signals to discourage theft of service, they have to allow cable to do the same.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Apr 2016 at 10:43.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unusually_quiet and Karma
    Made most of the replies
    I only made the first reply
    They deserve all the credit

I have a friend with 'time Warner' cable
    The main house has the full cable boxes
    The guest house, has a small decrypter box such as the OP has mentioned

The box has no tuner, no remote, it unlocks the 'basic' cable
    He does have a new TV with astc
    Last edited by theewizard; 12th Apr 2016 at 11:23.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard View Post
    I have a friend with 'time Warner' cable
    The main house has the full cable boxes
    The guest house, has a small decrypter box such as the OP has mentioned

The box has no tuner, no remote, it unlocks the 'basic' cable
    He does have a new TV with astc
    The OP has Suddenlink not Time Warner Cable and does not have a box similar to the one you described. Unlike you, I did my homework on this.

From Suddenlink's FAQ's

My television has a digital tuner built-in. Do I need to get a DigitaLink device for it?

We recommend a DigitaLink for TVs that do not have cable box connected.
    The above implies that at some point clear QAM won't be available for most channels, and maybe none at all.

With a DigitaLink, do I need to set my TV to a specific channel?

Yes. Set your TV and the adapter both to channel 3, unless instructed otherwise. (Some areas use channel 4.)
    The TV tuner is set to a fixed analog channel, which means that the converter box tunes channels and outputs whatever channel it tunes on channel three or four.
    Quote Quote